The Gym and Fitness Thread

Started by JimStynes, February 09, 2022, 08:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Diets are a real fad. Portion size and quality of the food are key. Smaller plates and better food and you'd lose a pile of weight

Tony Baloney

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 13, 2022, 11:22:57 AM
Diets are a real fad. Portion size and quality of the food are key. Smaller plates and better food and you'd lose a pile of weight
I've got half of that combo right.

charlieTully

Be in a slight calorie deficit and move. The weight will come off.

tonto1888

Quote from: RedHand88 on February 13, 2022, 09:09:51 AM
It's a cult. Has its own language. Full of potentially joint damaging exercises too. Anyone who spends £60 a month to do star jumps in a warehouse has too much money.

As for the "paleo diet", I'm not following the diet of a group of people who had a life expectancy of 35.
Here we have another know it all

nrico2006

Quote from: JimStynes on February 11, 2022, 05:24:34 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on February 10, 2022, 10:34:20 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on February 10, 2022, 10:01:54 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on February 10, 2022, 09:19:43 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on February 09, 2022, 08:27:23 PM
What's everyone's doing fitness wise? Any CrossFit fans?
I've a good lockdown stone to shift! I've been doing a lot on concept 2 machines lately and loving them. Aiming for a sub 7 min 2k row.

CrossFit fanatic here. Sub 7 would be good going

What gym you in? I was actually a member of the first CrossFit gym in Northern Ireland back in the day. Maybe around 2009? But I went to Oz for a year and half and then I've stopped and started since then. I'm now at Boundary CrossFit and it's a serious setup with some complete freaks at it .

I used to be able to do a sub 7 about 10 years ago and now the closest I've got is 7.11 the other day. It's going to happen though. I'm getting more efficient and fitter each month so hopefully I'll get it soon. It's such a brutal distance though. Staying injury free is the key!

What gym was that? I go to 8020. I'm possibly biased but I think it's the best in the country. I've heard good things about Boundary though. My mate goes  there

It was called Elite 400 and it was run by 2 headers called Jonny and Helen. I think they've opened other CrossFit gyms since then. I've been to 8020 once before. Class gym but it's just a wee bit too far for me to go. Also, it's in Portadown lol

I remember going to that Crossfit gym in 2009/10 down near Fyfes, two complete roots that ran it.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

JimStynes

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 13, 2022, 06:50:07 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on February 11, 2022, 05:24:34 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on February 10, 2022, 10:34:20 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on February 10, 2022, 10:01:54 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on February 10, 2022, 09:19:43 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on February 09, 2022, 08:27:23 PM
What's everyone's doing fitness wise? Any CrossFit fans?
I've a good lockdown stone to shift! I've been doing a lot on concept 2 machines lately and loving them. Aiming for a sub 7 min 2k row.

CrossFit fanatic here. Sub 7 would be good going

What gym you in? I was actually a member of the first CrossFit gym in Northern Ireland back in the day. Maybe around 2009? But I went to Oz for a year and half and then I've stopped and started since then. I'm now at Boundary CrossFit and it's a serious setup with some complete freaks at it .

I used to be able to do a sub 7 about 10 years ago and now the closest I've got is 7.11 the other day. It's going to happen though. I'm getting more efficient and fitter each month so hopefully I'll get it soon. It's such a brutal distance though. Staying injury free is the key!

What gym was that? I go to 8020. I'm possibly biased but I think it's the best in the country. I've heard good things about Boundary though. My mate goes  there

It was called Elite 400 and it was run by 2 headers called Jonny and Helen. I think they've opened other CrossFit gyms since then. I've been to 8020 once before. Class gym but it's just a wee bit too far for me to go. Also, it's in Portadown lol

I remember going to that Crossfit gym in 2009/10 down near Fyfes, two complete roots that ran it.

They really were. 2 unlikeable people!

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 13, 2022, 04:57:23 PM
It's a cult. Has its own language. Full of potentially joint damaging exercises too. Anyone who spends £60 a month to do star jumps in a warehouse has too much money.

As for the "paleo diet", I'm not following the diet of a group of people who had a life expectancy of 35.
the problem with Crossfit is that the people running the 'box' generally aren't that well qualified (they buy 100% into the whole crossfit approach) and aren't really aware of proper programming and loading for members to ensure it is sustainable

very easy to get burnt out or injuries at crossfit when you are doing excessive numbers of the same lifts in each session and the met con at the end is always trying to get you to your lactic and/or anaerobic threshold

just my opinion having done it a few years back

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Don't do diets . They are disastrous.

Baile an tuaigh

I used to do one called caveman for over five years. Typical drills would be pushing the weighted sleigh. Bear crawling on sliders under your feet and hands. Pull ups, chin ups, lifting tires
Beating tyres with sledges alot of skip roping, kettle bells.

Last two years I changed to treadfit training. Which is a ton of cardio mixed with bodyweight and dumbbells. Throw in a couple of yoga classes aweek should be grand.

I think it is ideal for hurling/football.

Milltown Row2

Hurling drills and football drills will make you a better player, keeping yourself fit and strong should be arranged by your trainer/coach who'll (should have) the skills to do that
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Main Street

Quote from: RedHand88 on February 13, 2022, 09:50:51 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on February 13, 2022, 09:38:24 AM

What's the paleo diet thing?

Theres a fad out there that we should be eating what cave men ate.
So it's not just a Tyrone thing?

JimStynes

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 13, 2022, 08:20:23 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on February 13, 2022, 04:57:23 PM

the problem with Crossfit is that the people running the 'box' generally aren't that well qualified (they buy 100% into the whole crossfit approach) and aren't really aware of proper programming and loading for members to ensure it is sustainable

very easy to get burnt out or injuries at crossfit when you are doing excessive numbers of the same lifts in each session and the met con at the end is always trying to get you to your lactic and/or anaerobic threshold

just my opinion having done it a few years back

This is true. I don't really think extremely technical Olympic lifts should be done at speed and only the elite and get away with not getting injured. One thing that really pisses me off about it is the obsession that Americans have with the military and that feeds into some of the workouts. Dedicated to some soldiers. The general American influence on it is cringe. But there are loads of great things about CrossFit and that style of training. CrossFit has also made lifting weights popular. Lifting platforms, rigs, olympic weights and bumper plates are now common place in gyms. Before CrossFit you'd have had very few gyms that had that sort of equipment. The standard of coaching varies massively. The one I go to has Irish record holding weight lifters who insist of good form and using light weights until ready to move up to heavier. Another CrossFit gym close by has a fella who got his level 1 and then opened up a gym.

redzone

Anyone making there own protein bars got a recipe.
Thanks

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: redzone on October 28, 2022, 08:33:39 AM
Anyone making there own protein bars got a recipe.
Thanks
Yes. Vegan bars actually (though they don't have to be)

https://glutenfreeonashoestring.com/homemade-protein-bars/

jcpen

Put on some serious weight the last few months.
Used to be pretty consistent going to the gym, swimming,running etc and played hurling for many a year.
Lost motivation during the summer when I injured myself and didn't train for about 4 weeks.
Need to get back into it soon, but the lack of motivation is high.
I entered the Dublin Marathon ballot also and actually got a place so will need to get a plan together for that at some point.
NEUTRAL