U20 All Ireland football championship 2021

Started by Blowitupref, February 03, 2020, 04:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on December 05, 2020, 11:26:30 AM
Quote from: Hound on December 05, 2020, 08:35:32 AM
With all due respect to underage soccer, there is nothing in Ireland on a par with the intercounty U20 or minor championships. Nobody gives a shit if St Kevin's are playing Shelbourne in an U17 soccer match, even if there is some talent on show.

But if Ireland had an U18 or U20 competitive international to play, I'm sure that would get the go ahead.

Its not Kevins. Its Shamrock Rovers, Derry City etc.

Are you suggesting those clubs academies and the rugby interprovincial sides are less elite than the GAA u20's? These lads are professional remember
Derry had already decided to opt out of completing the last 3 games.
You're not very good with the research side of a debate in order to support an opinion are you BB2?  A bit of a chancer?

reillycavan

GalwayBayBoy

Galway U-20 team v Dublin

Conor Flaherty (Claregalway)
Jonathan McGrath (Caherlistrane)
Sean Fitzgerald (Bearna)
Jack Glynn (Claregalway)
Cian Monahan (Oughterard)
Tony Gill (Corofin)
Cathal Sweeney (Salthill Knocknacarra)
Conor Raftery (Glenamaddy)
Cian Hernon (Bearna)
Paul Kelly (Moycullen)
Matthew Tierney (Oughterard)
Ryan Monahan (Oughterard)
Patrick Kelly (Mountbellew/Moylough)
Tomo Culhane (Salthill Knocknacarra)
Matthew Cooley (Corofin)

No James McLaughlin due to a knee problem which is a big loss. Haven't seen the subs. Conor Flaherty is also playing centre-back for the U-20 hurlers this evening against Kilkenny. So they'll be praying he comes through that in one piece.

GalwayBayBoy

Galway U20 manager Donal Ó Fátharta aware health trumps success
'I won't beat about the bush, that was a very tough week'

Galway U20 manager Donal Ó Fátharta aware health trumps success

FRI, 18 DEC, 2020 - 07:15
PAUL KEANE

Galway U20 manager Donal Ó Fátharta has admitted that EirGrid All-Ireland success didn't seem to matter a whole pile in the "very tough week" before their semi-final win over Kerry.

Galway won that game by five points though Ó Fátharta said his first thought all week was for his players after a major Covid-19 scare in the camp.

Just like Kerry, the westerners were forced to field without several players because of the impact of the virus and Ó Fátharta admitted that football seemed irrelevant at times.

"I won't beat about the bush, that was a very tough week," said Ó Fátharta. "The first thing that was in my mind was the health of the guys. I was delighted for myself that that was the first feeling I had because I can be honest about that.

"When guys pick up an illness like that, that was the first port of call, their health, to make sure those guys are fine.

"Of course they were thinking about football but for me that was secondary. By the Wednesday we were beginning to get a handle on things, we had one or two more (cases) then on Thursday so it was a kind of a second wave shall we say. But everyone was fine, that was the main thing.

"We did go out and beat Kerry but to be honest it was secondary and I'd say that, I'm not messing with that, the game was secondary that week.

"It was nice to come through and it's nice to be looking forward to this final but I wouldn't like to go through that week again."

Ó Fátharta and Galway are almost back up to feel speed again after the Covid storm though a couple of injuries to key players are concerning.

Matthew Tierney, a Galway senior and an All-Ireland club IFC medallist with Oughterard last January, is locked in a fitness battle ahead of tomorrow's final against Dublin.

"We have a couple of issues," said Ó Fátharta. "James McLoughlin has a knee problem. Matthew Tierney hurt his knee against Kerry so we aren't sure yet how he will be."

An Spidéal man Ó Fátharta was manager of the Galway minor teams that lost All-Ireland finals in 2018 and 2019, to Kerry and Cork.

Some of his U20 players experienced those defeats though he isn't convinced that will provide any extra motivation on their return to Croke Park.

"It's not something we addressed, ever," said Ó Fátharta. "We dealt with it at the time and moved on.

These guys want to play senior for Galway and we're trying to facilitate that as best we can.
"That's where we're at so we don't really look back at stuff like that."

Galway began their campaign way back in February with a 3-2 win over Mayo on penalties. Oisin Mullin played for Mayo that day and will feature for the senior team tomorrow, after the U20 final.

Ó Fátharta said: "I think four of that Mayo team are on the senior panel at the moment. Look, none of us could have foreseen how the year played out."

GaillimhIarthair

The very best of luck to the U20s this afternoon.  James McLoughlin is a significant loss but the 2 lads selected in MF were both excellent against Kerry. Paul Kelly misses the semi final and should be a significant addition around the middle third also.  Not sure how much training continuity they have had over the past few months but hopefully they put in a solid performance and see where it takes them today. 

Cunny Funt

4 each at the water break. Big blow for Galway to lose Cathal Sweeney to injury, a future senior footballer I'd reckon

smort

No. 18 that has replaced the injured wing-half back has done well so far. Galway looking the better team, certainly more settled, but for all their good play they are still only 3 ahead

Not many standing out for Dublin, no. 7 maybe, Archer well marked. A lot of good players on Galway team, 9, 11, 14. Dublin would need to sort their kickouts

Rossfan

Galway decked up a few opportunities just before ht.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

Half time Galway 0-8 Dublin 0-5. A well deserved lead for the tribesmen men who are finding scorers easier to come by. Dublin will need a plan B with Archer marked out of the game thus far.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

smort

Awkward fall there..shame, looks like a very good player

GalwayBayBoy

Hernon and Sweeney off injured. No McLaughlin. If they can pull it from here then fair play.

Blowitupref

Galway goal! 1-9 to 0-6 ahead now 37 minutes played.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

galwayman

We are panicking here big time. Turnovers galore

Blowitupref

FT Galway 1-11 Dublin 0-13. Congrats to Galway on a deserved win, finish their football season on a real high. Decent fight back by Dublin but too little to late. U20 All-Ireland final defeat for a 2nd year in a row.