County Senior Football Championship Updates

Started by AZOffaly, October 03, 2016, 01:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

It was far from the Diarmuid Connolly show as for most of the game he was nowhere to be seen, especially in the first half. He kicked three great far out points going into the final 15 mins which showed the man's class.
I thought it lacked intensity to be honest between these two big rivals although there was the odd bit of niggle here and there. No atmosphere as Shark just said.

Did anyone see the punches being thrown over near the sideline in the 2nd half? I was amazed the ref didn't award more red cards for that as some of his cards seemed very soft.

Declan

QuoteDid anyone see the punches being thrown over near the sideline in the 2nd half? I was amazed the ref didn't award more red cards for that as some of his cards seemed very soft.

Yep the Vinnies number 5 tried to hold onto the ball after it going over the line and the Ballymun lads tried to wrestle it back of him and in the process nearly threw him on top of us!! A few digs thrown alright and if the Ref was being consistent with his earlier beahviour in throwing out cards more lads would have got gate

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: shark on October 27, 2016, 12:27:48 PM
Quote from: general_lee on October 27, 2016, 12:07:33 PM
By all accounts it was the diarmuid Connolly show, if he gets injured Vincent's are fucked. Only for the sending off ballymun probably would have won

I was at it. Huge crowd, but very little athmosphere. Big portion of the crowd were non-Dubs. Connolly was excellent. All his points were difficult kicks, and the first one was outrageous, one of the best scores I've ever witnessed. The red card was a big factor, and Whelan was moving well. But Davey Byrne's black card was maybe a bigger factor. Both were correct decisions from the ref, who I thought was very good. Ballymun missed two goal chances early on too.
Vincent's will be favourites for any game they play, but I think on a given day either Jude's or Loman's could beat them (should they meet them). But, they probably will win Leinster.

Did Smyth come on Shark? I know Varley did alright. Judes have a huge task to get through tonight, missing two key players from their diamond and if they do get through one of them will be out for the final. Should be another tight game tonight regardless.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

shark

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 27, 2016, 02:47:55 PM
By all accounts it was the diarmuid Connolly show, if he gets injured Vincent's are fucked. Only for the sending off ballymun probably would have won

I was at it. Huge crowd, but very little athmosphere. Big portion of the crowd were non-Dubs. Connolly was excellent. All his points were difficult kicks, and the first one was outrageous, one of the best scores I've ever witnessed. The red card was a big factor, and Whelan was moving well. But Davey Byrne's black card was maybe a bigger factor. Both were correct decisions from the ref, who I thought was very good. Ballymun missed two goal chances early on too.
Vincent's will be favourites for any game they play, but I think on a given day either Jude's or Loman's could beat them (should they meet them). But, they probably will win Leinster.

Did Smyth come on Shark? I know Varley did alright. Judes have a huge task to get through tonight, missing two key players from their diamond and if they do get through one of them will be out for the final. Should be another tight game tonight regardless.

No he didn't see any gametime. Has been struggling with an achilles injury, but I'm not so sure he's settled in there all that well. He'd probably be playing in a Westmeath county final this weekend if he'd stayed where he was.
Varley did quite well on a limited amount of ball.
I think Indiana commented on here at the start of the year that the transfers didn't go down well with many in St.Vincent's. Breathnach didn't come on either.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: shark on October 27, 2016, 03:06:02 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 27, 2016, 02:47:55 PM

No he didn't see any gametime. Has been struggling with an achilles injury, but I'm not so sure he's settled in there all that well. He'd probably be playing in a Westmeath county final this weekend if he'd stayed where he was.
Varley did quite well on a limited amount of ball.
I think Indiana commented on here at the start of the year that the transfers didn't go down well with many in St.Vincent's. Breathnach didn't come on either.

Yeah, it is certainly changed times there, Fennell seems to have opened the floodgates. To be fair it is the same in every club in Dublin now though.

dublin7

Castleknock beat St Judes in other semi final tonight. 0-11 to 1-4. Poor game with both sides playing blanket defences. No coincidence that the county players all looked shattered playing over ast few nights. 10 months on the go now. Final is sat week

JoG2

Quote from: dublin7 on October 27, 2016, 09:24:37 PM
Castleknock beat St Judes in other semi final tonight. 0-11 to 1-4. Poor game with both sides playing blanket defences. No coincidence that the county players all looked shattered playing over ast few nights. 10 months on the go now. Final is sat week

Hardly surprising they're bucked,  they've had to cook their own meals these last few weeks! 

Cunny Funt

Some rise by Castleknock from junior football a few years ago to now a senior final. 9 of their 11 scores apparently came from the boot of Dessie Carlos a non county footballer from Roscommon. 1-4 a poor return from St Judes.

The Hill is Blue

I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 27, 2016, 10:03:51 PM
Some rise by Castleknock from junior football a few years ago to now a senior final. 9 of their 11 scores apparently came from the boot of Dessie Carlos a non county footballer from Roscommon. 1-4 a poor return from St Judes.

He had a stormer. On the opposite end of the aesthetic scale to Connolly but worked up and down like a demon. Castleknock worked to their strengths and kept the ball moving and away from the bigger bodies of Judes. Very negative game, Castleknock had the full 15 inside their 45 at times, Judes needed to push up more when the game was getting away from them. Ref absolutely rode Judes in the second half after being very even in the first. You'd expect Vincents with their greater scoring threat to coast to the title now.

Farrandeelin

Castlebar beat Knockmore 3-13 to 0-10 in the Mayo county final last night.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Horse Box

Loughmore won the Tipp SFC . Loughmore 1-9 Moyle Rovers 1-6 . Rovers missed handy early chances and could have taken the game by the scruff of the neck . They lead briefly coming up to half time when they scored a well worked goal but Loughmore tore down the field straight away and scored one themselves and were well in control from then on despite the closeness of the score in the end ! Was disappointed with Rovers forwards Diarmuid Foley and Liam Boland in particular . They had an of day today , I would however like to see them called into the County Panel and see how they shape up as they have scored plenty in the Championship up to today .

Hardy

Meath Final:
Simonstown 1-14
Donaghmore-Ashbourne 0-8

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Off topic completely but would Castlenock not update their jersey design sometime, I find it strange for a club to stick to 2000 O'Neill's template as their standard design.