Olympic boxing

Started by winghalfback, August 02, 2016, 01:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winghalfback

Really looking forward to watching our 8 boxers in action over the next month. I feel we have a real possibility of 4 gold medals. Could we get all 8 boxers as medalists by the end of it all?

nrico2006

The sky is the limit, a few favourable draws and there could be 5 or 6 medals.  Is Katie Taylor's dad back in her corner?  Doesn't seem to be as strong without him.

Always love the boxing at the Olympics but the change in the visibility of the scores throughout makes it less exciting.  The removal of headgear will obviously result in more stoppage wins, but the flip side is that cuts will probably be a big factor in this tournament now as there will surely be a lot of fighters at risk of pulling out the further they go on.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Declan

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/aug/01/rio-2016-olympics-boxing-corruption-allegations

Quotes Katie Taylor's dad back in her corner?  Doesn't seem to be as strong without him.

Don't think that's happening anytime soon

nrico2006

Quote from: Declan on August 02, 2016, 03:48:52 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/aug/01/rio-2016-olympics-boxing-corruption-allegations

Quotes Katie Taylor's dad back in her corner?  Doesn't seem to be as strong without him.

Don't think that's happening anytime soon

Why did he leave or is it still unknown?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Declan

QuoteWhy did he leave or is it still unknown?

Officially there's been no explanation given and the last time she was asked about it Katie said http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/boxing/youll-have-to-ask-my-dad-why-hes-no-longer-my-coach-katie-taylor-34493361.html so it's anyone's guess really

winghalfback

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 02, 2016, 03:40:16 PM
The sky is the limit, a few favourable draws and there could be 5 or 6 medals.  Is Katie Taylor's dad back in her corner?  Doesn't seem to be as strong without him.

Always love the boxing at the Olympics but the change in the visibility of the scores throughout makes it less exciting.  The removal of headgear will obviously result in more stoppage wins, but the flip side is that cuts will probably be a big factor in this tournament now as there will surely be a lot of fighters at risk of pulling out the further they go on.

Removal of head gear is a big thing alright could go against one of our bigger names too who has a tendency to cut easily but I have seen them in action recently at the spar v Russia and they all look in fantastic shape. The Katie Taylor issue with her dad is a big factor in her success too as was rightly stated she seemed stronger with him in the corner. Katie should win gold using her last few outings as motivation to succeed. Imo she still is our greatest ever boxer just throwing that out there with all the talk of frampton being the greatest now although he's not far away.

Hound

Did any well known professionals get entered in the end?

I hope Katie takes gold again, but I reckon I'll be backing against her. Lost her aura of invicibility, there's 3 or 4 now who think they can beat her and, very importantly, the judges no longer think she's invincible. She still has a good chance of course, but her opponents are likely to be well overpriced.

DuffleKing

A few good men setting themselves up for disappointment. The performance of our boxers at major championships in this generation has been nothing short of phenomenonal given the resources and numbers at their disposal. The last olympics was a relative miracle in terms of medal return.

I'm not sure we can realistically expect the HPU to continue to defy the odds indefinitely.

stew

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 03, 2016, 03:09:21 PM

A few good men setting themselves up for disappointment. The performance of our boxers at major championships in this generation has been nothing short of phenomenonal given the resources and numbers at their disposal. The last olympics was a relative miracle in terms of medal return.

I'm not sure we can realistically expect the HPU to continue to defy the odds indefinitely.

Trainers, good trainers are incredibly important to boxers, in that regard our trainers/ managers at the last Olympics were the best in the business.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

nrico2006

Quote from: Hound on August 03, 2016, 01:32:20 PM
Did any well known professionals get entered in the end?

I hope Katie takes gold again, but I reckon I'll be backing against her. Lost her aura of invicibility, there's 3 or 4 now who think they can beat her and, very importantly, the judges no longer think she's invincible. She still has a good chance of course, but her opponents are likely to be well overpriced.

Hassan N'Dam N'Jikam is probably the best known, complete joke that they are allowed in.  A few of the professionals got beat in the qualifiers though, think he might have as well.

Thy Kingdom Come

Getting a bronze medal in Boxing at the Olympics, depends of luck as well as being good enough. If the three best fighters in a weight Division are in the same side of the draw, then the third best fighter will lose in the quarter-finals. There are always two Bronze medal winners, so on the other side of the draw the fifth best boxer could end up with a bronze! Not to mention the 4th best ending up with a silver!   :-\

winghalfback

Very good draw for the Irish lads with paddy and Mick getting byes to the last 16. Brendan irvines draw looks the trickiest. Katie is automatically into a Medal fight against an opponent she has already beaten. First up is David Oliver Joyce on sat. Can't wait.

Ps as for the drug story ye believe all ye hear you will eat all ye see.

mrhardyannual

Great draw. It's a pity it's being overshadowed by this doping story!

muppet

Named on twitter as Michael O'Reilly.

Take with a grain of salt for the moment.
MWWSI 2017