2016 All Stars

Started by ONeill, July 20, 2016, 08:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Connolly is hyped up beyond belief. Wasn't deserving of an all star this year.

Zulu

How any of you are questioning Connolly's selection is beyond belief, he was an absolute cert and is by far the best footballer in country. Rock also developed from a nonentity in open play to a valuable contributor and fully deserves his too. Durcan very unlucky but wouldn't have been in the running before the last few games so maybe a fair call.

Declan

Boyle instead of O'Sullivan  :o :o :o. All Stars bit of a nonsense really but good talking points 

imtommygunn

Quote from: Zulu on November 03, 2016, 10:54:41 AM
How any of you are questioning Connolly's selection is beyond belief, he was an absolute cert and is by far the best footballer in country. Rock also developed from a nonentity in open play to a valuable contributor and fully deserves his too. Durcan very unlucky but wouldn't have been in the running before the last few games so maybe a fair call.

Precisely. Connolly is a fantastic footballer. If he would cut out his nonsense he wouldn't be far off going down as one of the greats.

Glad to see Ryan McHugh get one. He was superb though I thought he would have lost out due to Donegal not progressing far enough.

seafoid

The Dubs only beat Mayo by a point over 2 matches
They have 3 forwards. Mayo have none

Galway got a motivating kick up the arse. The Tipp match was dreadful

shark

The all-stars provide something to talk about. Anybody getting vexed or worked up about them should remember that it's just the opinion of a group of journalists. Another group of equally informed individuals would be highly unlikely to come up with the same 15. I just walked in on a discussion about it in work where the word "disgrace" was being used. My god  ::)

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on November 03, 2016, 11:43:37 AM

The Mayo backs did a lot of damage on the scoring stakes as well as to opposition forwards. Only Cillian really bothered the scoreboards regularly from our attack.
MWWSI 2017

Zulu

Not sure if you're trying to make a point here but which Mayo forwards deserved one? Andy Moran or Kevin McLoughlin would certainly have been in the discussion but not notable omissions in my opinion.

Jinxy

Here's a good table quiz question.
When was the last time a team reached the All-Ireland final and did not receive a single midfield or forward All-Star award?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

omagh_gael

Struggling to understand Kilkenny's inclusion, however, he's bound to have come out top on the 5/10 yard pop passes across the half back line so fair enough.

From a Tyrone point of view I'm surprised Matty got one. He'd a solid enough year but nothing out of the ordinary. Suppose that highlights how the midfield sector is a fading art.

muppet

Quote from: Jinxy on November 03, 2016, 01:01:25 PM
Here's a good table quiz question.
When was the last time a team reached the All-Ireland final and did not receive a single midfield or forward All-Star award?

Cork 2007?
MWWSI 2017

JoG2

Quote from: Declan on November 03, 2016, 11:06:22 AM
Boyle instead of O'Sullivan  :o :o :o. All Stars bit of a nonsense really but good talking points

As they say,  OSullivan couldn't lace Boyles boots. 

yellowcard

No major surprises although several borderline calls. Boyle and Donnelly were very lucky to win awards. Donnelly benefitted from a dearth in decent midfielders whilst Durcan was much better than Boyle in the big games. 

Jinxy

Surprised they didn't go with Acheson or Brennan for the 2nd midfield slot.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Captain Obvious

All-stars I'd imagine are based on how you did all year in league and championship and not just two matches.