Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 20, 2016, 08:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Ballaghman on August 07, 2016, 06:58:54 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on August 07, 2016, 06:40:34 PM
Quote from: Ballaghman on August 07, 2016, 06:27:45 PM
Quote from: Rudi on August 07, 2016, 05:57:11 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 07, 2016, 05:31:30 PM
Cavanagh has got many a man carded in the past with diving antics so yesterday seemed a case of just desserts, maybe if Tyrone all played football like Peter Harte and Mattie Donnelly instead of mouthing like McMahon, McCarron, McNamee constantly maybe Tyrone would go somewhere. Donegal with the McGee`s be in the same boat too

Problem with the manager who must condone this behaviour cause hes the only one can eradicate it. The negative system Tyrone brings to the table also plays against them as it holding very good footballers back, Meyler must be way of the pace, cause he should been coming on yesterday.

Would agree with most of that, however thought a draw would have been a fair result yesterday. Can't believe Dillion and Moran still get starts for Mayo, its a poor reflection of their forwards. If Tipp play their usual game, would have a fancy for them.

Why is it wrong to start a 32 and 33 year old? Andy is playing his best football for years so should be dropped for being 32? Ageist much?

Moran is still making the same mistakes he did 10 years ago. Running down blind alleys and taking too much out of the ball. He got away with it yesterday but won't when it counts
We didn't watch the same game. Moran was class against one of the toughest defensive systems in the game. Moran is highly intelligent and makes other players play better. Will play a huge part if we are to get over the line.

He makes runs fair enough but presented with chances he's not ruthless enough. There was a sniff of a goal chance when oshea broke it down to him. I can't fathom how arguably your best player mclaughlin is a sweeper. Parsons done well when introduced.

Aaron Boone

Would it have been extra-time or straight replay? 
Tipp would have loved the replay.

Post-match analysis is even hard. Tyrone had plenty of chances to win it but yet Mayo were the better team: stronger midfield, big players had big games, experience/cuteness.

criostlinn

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 07, 2016, 07:01:56 PM
Quote from: Stall the Bailer on August 07, 2016, 03:57:38 PM
Quote from: mrhardyannual on August 06, 2016, 11:07:52 PM
I thought Rochford and Co got there calls right today to a huge degree. Didn't see Alan Dillon starting and he had a great half, intelligently finding space. Andy continued from last game..won nearly every ball kicked in to him. Harrison continues to grow in the position and Keith was at home. Leave him there. AOS was immense and COC continues to return to form. Parsons added enormously in second half. I was a bit disappointed that we started keep ball towards the end but have been more disappointed in the past when we gave ball away through reckless shooting and lost as a result.

We were sitting among Tyrone crowd and neither ourselves or Tyrone fans were overly happy with Mr Gough and the banter was great. Since I stopped believing that I can fairly judge a ref when Mayo are playing, I guess this means he wasn't too bad ( though I dont know yet why he pulled on Clarke's kick-out).
I hope you weren't one of the Mayo fans sitting behind me, roaring like a herd of cattle standing in the mart all day. The free was for the Mayo players not being outside the 20m line before the kick-out. He kick-out before should also have been hopped for the same reason. It is one thing that should be punished more as lot of the short kick-outs fall foul to it. Its pity some fans wouldn't learn the rules before booing, slabbering, mooing to the ref.

I think maybe you should look at the rules. Short kick outs only have to go 13 yards not past the 13 yard line. There's a difference.

I thought Clarkes on was for kicking a rolling ball

The ball has to go 13m but players have to be outside the 20m line when the ball is kicked

vallankumous

Quote from: Aaron Boone on August 07, 2016, 07:32:56 PM

Post-match analysis is even hard. Tyrone had plenty of chances to win it but yet Mayo were the better team: stronger midfield, big players had big games, experience/cuteness.

On newstalk live coverage they were sure of a replay but in the Times today it said extra-time.
Should be more clarity on this for big games.

Stall the Bailer

I thought Rochford and Co got there calls right today to a huge degree. Didn't see Alan Dillon starting and he had a great half, intelligently finding space. Andy continued from last game..won nearly every ball kicked in to him. Harrison continues to grow in the position and Keith was at home. Leave him there. AOS was immense and COC continues to return to form. Parsons added enormously in second half. I was a bit disappointed that we started keep ball towards the end but have been more disappointed in the past when we gave ball away through reckless shooting and lost as a result.

We were sitting among Tyrone crowd and neither ourselves or Tyrone fans were overly happy with Mr Gough and the banter was great. Since I stopped believing that I can fairly judge a ref when Mayo are playing, I guess this means he wasn't too bad ( though I dont know yet why he pulled on Clarke's kick-out).
I hope you weren't one of the Mayo fans sitting behind me, roaring like a herd of cattle standing in the mart all day. The free was for the Mayo players not being outside the 20m line before the kick-out. He kick-out before should also have been hopped for the same reason. It is one thing that should be punished more as lot of the short kick-outs fall foul to it. Its pity some fans wouldn't learn the rules before booing, slabbering, mooing to the ref.

I think maybe you should look at the rules. Short kick outs only have to go 13 yards not past the 13 yard line. There's a difference.

yes they only need to go 13 metres but you must outside the 20metre line first, check you the rules

Jinxy

Quote from: Ballaghman on August 07, 2016, 06:58:54 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on August 07, 2016, 06:40:34 PM
Quote from: Ballaghman on August 07, 2016, 06:27:45 PM
Quote from: Rudi on August 07, 2016, 05:57:11 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 07, 2016, 05:31:30 PM
Cavanagh has got many a man carded in the past with diving antics so yesterday seemed a case of just desserts, maybe if Tyrone all played football like Peter Harte and Mattie Donnelly instead of mouthing like McMahon, McCarron, McNamee constantly maybe Tyrone would go somewhere. Donegal with the McGee`s be in the same boat too

Problem with the manager who must condone this behaviour cause hes the only one can eradicate it. The negative system Tyrone brings to the table also plays against them as it holding very good footballers back, Meyler must be way of the pace, cause he should been coming on yesterday.

Would agree with most of that, however thought a draw would have been a fair result yesterday. Can't believe Dillion and Moran still get starts for Mayo, its a poor reflection of their forwards. If Tipp play their usual game, would have a fancy for them.

Why is it wrong to start a 32 and 33 year old? Andy is playing his best football for years so should be dropped for being 32? Ageist much?

Moran is still making the same mistakes he did 10 years ago. Running down blind alleys and taking too much out of the ball. He got away with it yesterday but won't when it counts
We didn't watch the same game. Moran was class against one of the toughest defensive systems in the game. Moran is highly intelligent and makes other players play better. Will play a huge part if we are to get over the line.

If you could give Dillon and Moran leg transplants you'd have a serious forward line.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

From the Bunker

Quote from: vallankumous on August 07, 2016, 07:54:46 PM

On newstalk live coverage they were sure of a replay but in the Times today it said extra-time.
Should be more clarity on this for big games.

Yes, people have travel arrangements, timetables, etc of their own. These details should be announced during the week?

Mourne Rover

The match programme made it clear that the only game of the afternoon which included a provision for extra time was the Junior AI final. Both senior semis were always scheduled for replays in the event of a draw but it is reasonable to expect that all the arrangements should have been specifically set out in advance of the fixtures.

sans pessimism

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 07, 2016, 06:45:30 PM
How many fouls did Aidan O'Shea make yesterday?

Mayo players seem to try and apply an awful lot of pressure on the referees, O'Shea, Boyle and O'Connor are particularly vocal and in the referees face over any flashpoint or foul - very much like Barcelona/Spain in soccer they try and apply an awful lot of pressure on the referees.

Gough did a decent job overall but he didn't discourage the cynical Mayo fouling high up the field, it's very obvious that the likes of O'Shea, Parsons, Doherty, Moran, O'Connor etc can't tackle and make very little effort to tackle the ball, it's all about swinging lads around the hips, putting their hand in over the shoulder and pulling the arm back. It's all about disrupting the momentum of the player moving forward with the ball in an illegal manner and while Gough did play the advantage, these incidents were happening again and again and again without punishment for the player. Mayo have been doing this for years but nothing has been made of it.

In the Dublin-Donegal game it was also very evident of the cynical checking and infringing of Ryan McHugh off the ball all day long, again this was happening right in front of the referee and he did nothing to discourage it.
Good god man 'dhun é'
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Disappointing end to the season for Tyrone. I didn't feel they were at their best and yet the game was there for them. Frustrating. Hard to know still quite where Tyrone are at, a season of Division 1 football will help and give us a better idea. My own feeling is that the model developed over the past few years is still too negative. The suggestion has been that they are working on the attacking part but I do feel they can commit much more. The creative talent is there, we don't have to be quite so strongly focused on defence.

Well done to Mayo. I felt it was set up really nicely for them going into the game and they were deserving winners. Genuinely hope they go and win Sam.

Farrandeelin

Commentator said replay on sky.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

PW Nally

Any way to watch the entire match back without Sky subscription?

giveballaghback

Well done Mayo, a good workmanlike performance, really have a chance to go all the way now. Showed all yere big match experience there yesterday. Ye will have too much for Tipp and then its a one off. The u21 team won 3 games against the odds to win the all-ireland and maybe this is Mayos year. No team from that great province with all those top teams in the all-ireland semi final, its not fair.

blast05

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on August 07, 2016, 07:55:08 PM

yes they only need to go 13 metres but you must outside the 20 metre line first, check you the rules

Yes, its both the defending players have to be outside the 20m line and 13m from the ball once it is kicked and there were 3 Mayo defenders who weren't. However, the attacking players also have to be 13m from the ball when it is kicked out too and there was at least 1 Tyrone guy who wasn't and so therefore the kickout should have been taken again.
On the following kickout for Tyrone about a minute later, one of the Tyrone guys was definitely inside the 20m line when the ball was kicked (no Mayo guys were) but no hop ball.
The ref either needs to be strict on all this or don't ..... just don't be inconsistent, i.e.: i'd say there were 10-15 kickout infringements during the game that could have been pulled.

Now one that maybe someone can clarify .... when MAyo had a sideline ball in first half at Cusack/Davin corner, ref held up play after umpire drew his attention to Andy Moran being pulled when he made a run. Ref talked to Tyrone full back but no free( would have had to be a penalty) and no card. So if there was a foul, then why wasn;t there a penalty ?

screenexile

Don't think he can give a free unless the ball is in play possibly??