Nicky Rackard Cup

Started by Saffron exile, May 01, 2007, 12:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FermPundit

you'd def know it was the 3rd tier of all ireland hurling but there are some skillful players on show. declan coulter from armagh looks a real talent.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

theskull1

Well done to both teams. OK a wee bit slower than the top sides but they all looked like they could hurl out there today. I thought it was a real entertaining game and it was great to see such passion and skill in these so called "weaker counties". A good day for hurling. Hopefully both counties push on in the years to come
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

ardal

What was the result? Couldn't get to listen to it on the net.

Datsun Donaghy

Just in - saw the first half 6pts each

What was the final score anyone?

RTE is a disgrace, also the BBC - no mention of an AI Final!

Datsun Donaghy

Armagh beaten in Rackard decider

Roscommon edged out Armagh 1-12 to 0-13 in Saturday's Nicky Rackard final.

There was never more than a point in it in the first half and it was was 0-6 to 0-6 at the break with Chris McAlinden having hit three Armagh points.

Armagh keeper Joby Burke had made a great first half save but his mistake allowed sub Gary Fallon to score the crucial second-half goal.

The goal put Roscommon three ahead and Armagh, despite having plenty of possession, couldn't get on terms.

Rossfan

Well done lads . I'm sorry I couldnt get there but still we are
ALL IRELAND HURLING CHAMPIONS 2007
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Oraisteach

Proud to see Armagh hurling at Croke Park, and they looked very good too.

Thought Armagh were a slighly better outfit, but Roscommon took their free chances and Armagh didn't.  That's all part of the game.

Still, very pleased with the showing.  The McCormacks were strong, as was McAlinden.  Coullter showed real flashes of excellence.

In the end, congratulations to Roscommon, a team that weathered an early storm and came out fine champions.

Guillem2

A good game to watch even if it wasn't in the same league as Waterford/Cork. But sure what is? Fair play to both teams for fighting hard and hurling well. Armagh are on the up in hurling and it's only a matter of time before they are in the Christy Ring.
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

Rossfan

Arent they in the CR next year?
As far as I know both teams are getting promoted this year as they are bringing the CR up to 12 teams.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Mack the finger

Quote from: Rossfan on August 12, 2007, 04:01:00 PM
Arent they in the CR next year?
As far as I know both teams are getting promoted this year as they are bringing the CR up to 12 teams.

That's my understanding too.

Great to see Armagh Hurlers at HQ, and they gave a good account of themselves. They panicked a bit, going for a goal when there
was still ten minutes left and only three points between the teams. Thought young Gaffney had a really good game. Roscommon
just that wee bit more experianced.

nrico2006

Armagh Have two divisions:

In One there is:

Dungannon (Tyrone)
Carrickmore (Tyrone)
Keady
Middletown
Armagh Cuchulains
Lisanaskea (Fermanagh)
Lisbellaw (Fermanagh)
Pearse Og (Louth)

In two there is:

Lurgan
Portadown
Naomh Columcille (Tyrone)
Derrynoose
Killeavy
Camlough
Naomh Monine (Louth)

Decent match, but as mentioned Armagh went looking for the goal to early.  Nucleus of a good side, and McAlinden, McCormacks and Coulter shone for them.  Up front Gaffney was too reluctant to shoot and for me he just wanted to try and pass every time he got it, and the wee corner forward Bradley simply isn't up to it.  Enright was having a stinker, but he would have been more dangerous in the fuill forward line!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

revsperminute

Just so you are up to spend on the Roscommon club situation. There is no league, but the championship is run on a round robin format with the top four going into the semi finals. There is also a junior championship run on a round robin format with the top four going into the semi finals for second teams with 5 clubs competing in this along with an amalgamation between Athleague and Tremane.

The clubs are:
Athleague
Four Roads
Padraig Pearses
Oran
Roscommon Gaels
Tremane
St. Domnicks

Castlerea are another club competing well at underage level but have yet to inter into competitions above minor grade.

Punxsutawney Fergal

Revs who are the dominant club in Roscommon? I remember in 88 Four Roads won the Connacht Club championship with a shock win over the Galway champions.

johnneycool

I see big Colm Kelly lined out on saturday still. He was a good hurler in his prime and got a few runs out for Connacht.

He had an older brother play as well, probably bigger than him, horses of men.

Balboa

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 14, 2007, 11:28:08 AM

Decent match, but as mentioned Armagh went looking for the goal to early.  Nucleus of a good side, and McAlinden, McCormacks and Coulter shone for them.  Up front Gaffney was too reluctant to shoot and for me he just wanted to try and pass every time he got it, and the wee corner forward Bradley simply isn't up to it.  Enright was having a stinker, but he would have been more dangerous in the fuill forward line!

Not everybody is a greedy s*ite......