Donegal v Mayo NFL 2016

Started by Farrandeelin, February 22, 2016, 09:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Think it's time for a thread on this one. Donegal flying in their early games. Mayo struggled against Cork and went down fighting against Dublin. Big enough game for Mayo. Lose and we could be in trouble, especially as Down and Kerry play each other. A win on the other hand would ease relegation worries. Mayo have a few back from injury, Keegan, McLoughlin and Higgins return from their absences against Dublin. The Hollymount-Carramore contingent are back, but Stephen Coen and maybe Darren Coen are the only ones from there.

Donegal will rightfully be favourites, but hopefully our front men can click. Hopefully...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rudi

The whingers would want to start picking up a few points. All Ireland champions eh  ;D

Syferus

Quote from: Rudi on February 22, 2016, 09:57:55 PM
The whingers would want to start picking up a few points. All Ireland champions eh  ;D

Finally Enda says something Roscommon people agree with.

BluestackBoy

We seem to have unearthed a couple of real gems who have added a new dimension to our play. It's early days yet & nobody is getting carried away but we like what we are seeing & on top of winning are in real danger of being seen as "entertaining".

Now that won't do at all.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 22, 2016, 09:27:33 PM
Think it's time for a thread on this one. Donegal flying in their early games. Mayo struggled against Cork and went down fighting against Dublin. Big enough game for Mayo. Lose and we could be in trouble, especially as Down and Kerry play each other. A win on the other hand would ease relegation worries. Mayo have a few back from injury, Keegan, McLoughlin and Higgins return from their absences against Dublin. The Hollymount-Carramore contingent are back, but Stephen Coen and maybe Darren Coen are the only ones from there.

Donegal will rightfully be favourites, but hopefully our front men can click. Hopefully...

Last time I was in Ballyshannon it was the worst beating in the Horan era.

The dynamic is different now though. Horan recovered well from that and Rochford sent out a more competitive approach against Dublin after being way off the pace against Cork. Rochford probably really wants/needs a win but it's a big ask. Not sure it's about forwards clicking either. Div.1 is a tough joint for a new management with a depleted player pool. 

Cunny Funt

The break might have knocked Donegals momentum, they have just returned from a week in sunny Tenerife and will be hoping their minds are not still on the beach. Mayo should have their strongest team out this year on Sunday and 3 weeks of solid training should have them fitter than the previous two games.  A hard one to call a draw is likely.

moysider

Quote from: Cunny Funt on February 22, 2016, 11:58:17 PM
The break might have knocked Donegals momentum, they have just returned from a week in sunny Tenerife and will be hoping their minds are not still on the beach. Mayo should have their strongest team out this year on Sunday and 3 weeks of solid training should have them fitter than the previous two games.  A hard one to call a draw is likely.

Maybe but who do we have coming back into it? Chris Barrett getting close I think.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: moysider on February 23, 2016, 12:50:38 AM

Maybe but who do we have coming back into it? Chris Barrett getting close I think.
Keegan,Higgins,Mcloughlin all possible starters this weekend.

Syferus

Is Aido still off in the States doing that tv show?

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Syferus on February 23, 2016, 01:34:32 AM

Is Aido still off in the States doing that tv show?

No, he was at some awards thing for the U16 girls development squad Sunday
Hasta la victoria siempre

Farrandeelin

I see Freeman, Keane and Caolan Crowe are definitely out for Sunday. McLoughlin, Parsons and Vaughan are doubtful. The other news is that SOS, Dillon, Moran, Clarke and Chris Barrett are back in training anyway. If lads are doubtful, there's no point in rushing them back. Which is a pity, because our midfield options are scarce at the moment. I suppose AOS will slot in there however.

macdanger2

Wouldn't mind seeing DOC at midfield. Gibbons is there too

muppet

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 23, 2016, 08:37:31 PM
I see Freeman, Keane and Caolan Crowe are definitely out for Sunday. McLoughlin, Parsons and Vaughan are doubtful. The other news is that SOS, Dillon, Moran, Clarke and Chris Barrett are back in training anyway. If lads are doubtful, there's no point in rushing them back. Which is a pity, because our midfield options are scarce at the moment. I suppose AOS will slot in there however.

We have been spoilt for a while at midfield with the 2 Bears, Big Bird, Tom and Jason. But it must be asked, where are our next midfielders coming from? Any minors or U-21s capable? Kirby or those two minors from Breaffy??
MWWSI 2017

J70

McEniff's view on the match:

http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/news/sport/203080/A-victory-over-Mayo-and-we.html

The Allianz League resumes next weekend with Donegal up against Mayo in Ballybofey. After their two opening wins over Down and Cork, Donegal are in a good place.

Those performances against Down and Cork were also very encouraging, especially for the time of year. It has been very obvious that the infusion of fresh blood has given the whole squad a real shot in the arm.

New boys Ciaran Thompson and Eoin McHugh have come in and at this stage they have put up their hands in a big way for starting berths. There is nothing like a couple of new men coming in and competing for places in the team. It can also make the more established players to up their game.

Jack O'Brien, Caolan Ward and Caolan McGonagle are among the others that I like the look of and I'm looking forward to seeing more of them in the remaining games in the league.

I know we drew with Mayo down in Castlebar without Michael Murphy last year, but we still owe Mayo one after those last two big beatings in the championship.

They are coming to Ballybofey on the back of two defeats and they are currently without Cillian O'Connor, and as far as I know Seamus O'Se is going to miss the game as well.

A win would more or less secure our Division One status, but it could also be the springboard to claiming a place in the knock-out stages.

With our championship game with either Fermanagh or Antrim not until the middle of June, for the first year in a long time, I feel we can give the league a right good rattle.

Qualifying for the latter stages of the league will also give us at least one, if not two good quality games in the lead into the championship. The extra game/games would also be brilliant for the younger lads and the experience they would gain from an extra match should prove valuable down the road.

On form, Donegal should win and I expect them to do so.

I know it's early days, but things are shaping up well for this year and a win on Sunday next would further enhance the view that Donegal are going to be a force again in 2016.

.Brian McEniff was in conversation with Tom Comack.

Farrandeelin

Mayo team named a short while ago.

1. Robbie Hennelly (Breaffy)
2. Brendan Harrison (Aghamore)
3. Ger Cafferkey (Ballina Stephenites)
4. Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis, Captain)
5. Lee Keegan (Westport)
6. Colm Boyle (Davitts)
7. Shane Nally (Garrymore)
8. Tom Parsons (Charlestown)
9. Jason Gibbons (Ballintubber)
10. Diarmuid O'Connor (Ballintubber)
11. Aidan O'Shea (Breaffy)
12. Conor O'Shea (Breaffy)
13. Evan Regan (Ballina Stephenites)
14. Jason Doherty (Burrishoole)
15. Mikey Sweeney (Kiltane).