2016 All Ireland U-21 football championship

Started by Captain Obvious, February 22, 2016, 01:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Delighted for Monaghan. To add U21 Ulster title to the minor 2013 title already won is a fine achievement and they beat Tyrone in both finals. The myth that Tyrone always beat Monaghan in matches that count is well busted now.

ck

Well done Monaghan. By far the better team I hear. Tyrone were a shadow of the team that was being hyped by some on here.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: ck on April 06, 2016, 10:42:51 PM
Well done Monaghan. By far the better team I hear. Tyrone were a shadow of the team that was being hyped by some on here.

???

Eh, you were the one hyping them up, you botton.

BennyHarp

Quote from: ck on April 06, 2016, 10:42:51 PM

Repost a few of the hype posts there CK just so we know what your talking about.
That was never a square ball!!

redzone

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on April 06, 2016, 09:42:40 PM
Well done Monaghan. I always think at this level you need to get your better players on the ball, and I never head Brennan mentioned much in the first half and McShane, Burns, nor Kavanagh the whole contest.

Sounds like Monaghan did their homework and out thought Tyrone.

Hopefully they go on and beat Mayo now. It is Mayo isn't it?

Brennan was the pick of them 4 but we couldn't get the ball to him quick enough/ find him in space.sprarky tryed hard but it wasn't happening, frank was quiet by his standards and mcshane wont be as bad again. The amount of shots dropped short or kicked wide was unreal from us. Monaghan by far deserved the win. Dinky mcbride was managing them so he knew the Tyrone players inside out. They def had there homework done I have to hand it to them.

Good luck them in the semi

tyroneman

Desperately disappointing from Tyrone. Few thoughts:

Tyrone Played the better football and had  an excellent goal chance early on and really should have made much more of their chances in the first half.

Tyrone keeper cost us around 4 points with poor kick outs

Tyrone played nothing in second half making really poor decisions and shooting from stupid areas

McShane was very poor, disappeared completely in second half

Lee Brennan is an exceptional talent.  Gave Monaghan the runaround first half. We got no ball into him in second.

Ref was awful. Chickened out of giving a clear black card to Monaghan no.9 for pulling down rugby style and handed 5-6 soft soft frees to Monaghan in front of goals for 'fouls' that Tyrone were certainly not being given at the other end for worse.

Can't agree Monaghan were better team, at most they broke even and ultimately Tyrone have only themselves to blame as thus was a game they were in control of and let go at half time.

ck

You missed the joke, yeah it was me hyping them it seems. Thought they were a sure bet for tonight.
Monaghan now play Cork or Kerry. Mayo play Dublin. Wide open lads

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: ck on March 20, 2016, 04:49:46 AM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on March 20, 2016, 03:10:53 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on March 20, 2016, 01:07:31 AM
Would be a shock and big disappointment among Mayo supporters if their 2013 minor All Ireland winning team now fail to win a Connacht title. The Dubs look menacing at this level again.
The Dubs as ever look primed. Cork haven't been tested but have scored freely in Munster.
Most pundits say Armagh are the best in Ulster.

Usual story in Munster. Dubs with Basquel back are contenders. Nothing between Mayo and Ross in Connacht and in Ulster I'd disagree with you, despite a big win for Armagh I think Monaghan will beat them but it's Tyrones to loose.

Seems the only one overhyping Tyrone U21s on here was yourself, ck.

Even your lies are lies.

TF15

Better team won. As I said before the competition started this Tyrone side hadn't near the class of last year and Ulster was the best that could be hoped for.

Agree with Tyronemans observations.
- Short kick outs on a night like that puts corner backs under tremendous pressure and clearly was costing Tyrone scores time and again. The inability to deviate from this plan I thought showed  the rigidity in the system Tyrone play.
- McShane looked out on his feet, was a really disappointing performance by him.
- Lee Brennan is all class and a future star but the 45s in the second half could maybe have been worked better.
-Young McKiernan could be a fine prospect. For 18 the lad impressed me.
- Ref made one major decision calling an over carrying on a Tyrone defender when he was pushed in the back clearly. Free put Monaghan 3 up and gave them the necessary breathing room.

Hope Monaghan win the AI now, best of luck lads!

omagh_gael

Was Fox making the continual decisions to take the short kick outs or was this a direction from the sideline? Disappointed that this wasn't abandoned as soon as it dumped us in the shit for the second time. The first five/ten mins of the second half were a killer.

Main Street

Very happy with the ulster u21crown and to take it in style from the champions.
No doubt that it was a hard earned victory.

tyroneman

Quote from: omagh_gael on April 06, 2016, 11:32:46 PM
Was Fox making the continual decisions to take the short kick outs or was this a direction from the sideline? Disappointed that this wasn't abandoned as soon as it dumped us in the shit for the second time. The first five/ten mins of the second half were a killer.

Wasn't so much the strategy, more the execution. Some of his short kick out were terrible and gave the defenders little chance. Also floated 2 or 3 long kick outs straight to Monaghan men.

Aaron Boone

Maybe Tyrone's wins v Cavan & Donegal took their toll tonight. Both were majorly competitive and Tyrone came from behind in both. Monaghan had the slightly easier passage v the weaker Ulster U-21 counties.

Main Street

Quote from: Aaron Boone on April 06, 2016, 11:52:53 PM
Maybe Tyrone's wins v Cavan & Donegal took their toll tonight. Both were majorly competitive and Tyrone came from behind in both. Monaghan had the slightly easier passage v the weaker Ulster U-21 counties.
or maybe you just have to accept that Monaghan just have a better team and deserved the title on merit.

charlie linkbox

Great win.
Thought Tyrone were marginally better in the first half. Their scores seemed to come a little easier and their forward play a bit classier. That side line ball score from inside the 13m line with the outside of the boot was as good a point as I've seen.
However Monaghan seriously upped their performance after the break and dominated the third quarter. The work rate was phenomenal, epitomised by Donal Meegan's tackling from a Tyrone short kick out that turned over the ball and gave Monaghan a handy free in. From there on it was a case of holding out which we did thankfully.
Would agree about the wind. Monaghan played with it in the first half but it turned about 20 minutes in and was at our backs again in the second half.
It'd be great now to kick on and make a mark at national level. But that's for another day. Just delighted with this evening's win...... even if they did break the cup during the presentation!!!