NFL Division 1

Started by macdanger2, January 26, 2016, 10:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on March 06, 2016, 01:00:57 AM
Quote from: Beffs on March 06, 2016, 12:25:54 AM
Quote from: Syferus on March 06, 2016, 12:08:56 AM
Brogan was the deserving one. Came a bit out of left field giving it to McCaffrey honestly. McMahon really didn't do enough to be deserving of it.

Yeah, he had a poor year overall. Aidan O'Shea and Colm Cooper held him to a mere 1-3, in the three most important games of the year.  ::)

He was one of a committee of three who marked AOS in both games. I find it incredible that McMahon still gets all the credit for shutting him down, even in the face of all the score-able frees he directly gave up against AOS in the first game.

Another plus for him though Sy! From a coaching point of view a defender should always foul rather than concede a point or goal from play - which gives a forward confidence - or opportunity to put somebody in for a goal. For a defender to be able to be in a position to stop a forward, even by fouling, is a good result. It's the lazy, unnecessary fouls - like Cork did tonight - that are a no-no. Fouls should be necessary and deliberate. Poor defenders foul when there is no need for it. Good defenders foul when it's the best option. If you have to take a ticking or a card, so be it. Up to line then to switch, replace, etc.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on March 06, 2016, 01:35:29 AM
Quote from: Syferus on March 06, 2016, 01:00:57 AM
Quote from: Beffs on March 06, 2016, 12:25:54 AM
Quote from: Syferus on March 06, 2016, 12:08:56 AM
Brogan was the deserving one. Came a bit out of left field giving it to McCaffrey honestly. McMahon really didn't do enough to be deserving of it.

Yeah, he had a poor year overall. Aidan O'Shea and Colm Cooper held him to a mere 1-3, in the three most important games of the year.  ::)

He was one of a committee of three who marked AOS in both games. I find it incredible that McMahon still gets all the credit for shutting him down, even in the face of all the score-able frees he directly gave up against AOS in the first game.

Another plus for him though Sy! From a coaching point of view a defender should always foul rather than concede a point or goal from play - which gives a forward confidence - or opportunity to put somebody in for a goal. For a defender to be able to be in a position to stop a forward, even by fouling, is a good result. It's the lazy, unnecessary fouls - like Cork did tonight - that are a no-no. Fouls should be necessary and deliberate. Poor defenders foul when there is no need for it. Good defenders foul when it's the best option. If you have to take a ticking or a card, so be it. Up to line then to switch, replace, etc.

Being forced to illegally mow down a man you have two men supporting you to stop him is not the mark of a PotY defender. I'm sorry but I see absolutely no case for McMahon even being a contender for PotY last year. Some fans think his afters was the reason he was overlooked - I think it was because his play wasn't good enough. He did well on Gooch in the final and scored a goal against Mayo when a stray cat could have opened them up - big deal.

Mayo should have been able to expose the way the in Dublin defense was drifting onto AOS any time Mayo got possession much more over both matches. If anything the attention they gave AOS was so excessive that it's amazing it worked out in their favour. A cuter team would have tore them apart with all the space they were giving up.

If Monaghan had beat Tyrone Conor McManus was going to walk away with the PotY barring a total loss of sanity by the voters IMHO. In fact even losing in the AIQF there's a case to be made he was deserving.

Throw ball

Considering Fermanagh and Armagh got fined last week - and Fermanagh lost their best player for today - I presume Donegal and Kerry will lose a few euro during the week for that carry on. Felt sorry for Kerry full forward. He deserved sent off but should not have been only one. The cuter one stayed on the field.

square_ball

McGee got what he deserved there.

yellowcard

Kerry. The most cynical dirtiest team of all.

yellowcard

Quote from: Throw ball on March 06, 2016, 02:45:16 PM
Considering Fermanagh and Armagh got fined last week - and Fermanagh lost their best player for today - I presume Donegal and Kerry will lose a few euro during the week for that carry on. Felt sorry for Kerry full forward. He deserved sent off but should not have been only one. The cuter one stayed on the field.

Strange logic after most likely breaking an opponents nose with 2 blatant punches.

Moortown Spuds

How do Kerry get labelled as purists of the game. Thugs and play actors the lot of them.

Donegal running to the ref with imaginary cards is shameful also.

Poor advertisement for our game.

square_ball

Did you not see what preceded it? You're probably right he shouldn't have retaliated to someone trying to break his fingers.

Main Street

The aptly named McLoone gets red carded for Donegal.

The ref is doing his best to control the game but he'll have read the riot act to both teams, if this stuff carries on.

Main Street

Donegal have perfected the throw ball.

Moortown Spuds

How do you referee a game when neither side want to play ball. Feel sorry for refs on days like this.

On the flip side-in Omagh last night there was two teams looking to play football and the ref was not fit for it.

yellowcard

Quote from: square_ball on March 06, 2016, 03:02:12 PM
Did you not see what preceded it? You're probably right he shouldn't have retaliated to someone trying to break his fingers.

Course I seen it, any man that lands 2 blatant punches on a mans face 5 yards from the umpire to bust open an opponent gets no sympathy from me, irrespective of what preceded it. However since you claim that McGee tried to break a mans fingers, please tell us more......Kerry....upholders of all that is pure in the game!!!!

Wildweasel74

Donegal i thought started that crap, Kerry though will finish it, let me know when a football starts outside all the pulling and off the ball crap

J70

Quote from: square_ball on March 06, 2016, 03:02:12 PM

Grabbing his arm = trying to break his fingers?

Edit - on replay, he did bend his fingers back. Whether he was trying to dislodge the Kerry player's hand or not, I would have given McGee a slap myself. Out of order.

Throw ball

Quote from: yellowcard on March 06, 2016, 03:00:23 PM
Quote from: Throw ball on March 06, 2016, 02:45:16 PM

Strange logic after most likely breaking an opponents nose with 2 blatant punches.

My point was why should he get sent off when others didn't for red card offences. You also missed the point where I said he deserved sent off.