Skiing March Europe

Started by exileabroad, January 26, 2016, 10:28:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

exileabroad

Whats your experiences of Skiing late March (Easter Period),
Will there be snow on all the slopes?
What are the best resorts/hotels for group hoping to enjoy lively nighlife?
Are you best to book separately or through the likes of Crystal/Nelson tours?

Input appreciated....

seafoid

Quote from: exileabroad on January 26, 2016, 10:28:56 AM

Input appreciated....
Late March is usually ok. There is usually enough snow from Jan and Feb on the pistes. Best skiing is in the morning. It tends to get mushy after lunch. Usually you get a bit of sun so it's nice to enjoy that with a drink. Should be snow on all the slopes. I don't know about the rest.

thejuice

Sierra Nevada near Granada is good, though Easter weekend can be busy. Food and beer is cheap enough there compared to other skiing destinations. Also you usually get free tapas with every beer in many parts of Andalucia which is a nice surprise when you are used to Irish pub prices.

And, your less than an hours drive from the Mediterranean/beach which should be starting to warm up.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Rois

Quote from: thejuice on January 26, 2016, 05:45:58 PM
Sierra Nevada near Granada is good, though Easter weekend can be busy. Food and beer is cheap enough there compared to other skiing destinations. Also you usually get free tapas with every beer in many parts of Andalucia which is a nice surprise when you are used to Irish pub prices.

And, your less than an hours drive from the Mediterranean/beach which should be starting to warm up.
We had a Spanish guy in work who just told me about Sierra Nevada and how close it was to Granada - I checked the prices around Easter on behalf of a colleague and they weren't too bad at all.  Def one for the list.

Go high from mid-March onwards, i.e. Morzine is at 1000m and there's a risk that some slopes will not be open in late March.  It's 11 degrees there this week so they're losing a good bit of snow, hopefully temps drop again before I go!

I haven't skied there but I've heard nightlife is great in Austria. 
If you don't mind what sort of accommodation you have, then just go with tour operator. 

seafoid

Quote from: exileabroad on January 26, 2016, 10:28:56 AM

Input appreciated....
Rois just reminded me. Fabulous nightlife in Ischgl in Austria which is an hour from Zurich airport. http://www.booking.com/city/at/ischgl.en.html
Probably better off doing it yourself

manfromdelmonte

For something different, try northern sweden.
you could also visit the Ice Hotel up near Kiruna