Security guard work -advice needed

Started by AustinPowers, January 20, 2016, 08:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AustinPowers

Hoping for some advice regarding the security guard type of work. Basically, need a change of direction and toying with doing the training  with a view to finding work,

Training seems ok, 3/4 days. A few modules, exam etc.

The question is if the security work would be suitable. Have trouble with the back,so not sure if this work would be ideal ie. standing for long periods, on the feet all the time etc.

Was thinking of more the supermarket/shopping centre sort of security, not the doorman/bouncer role.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of the security guard job,and what it might entail and what would be expected of me. Sorta need to know what it involves before going ahead with the training.

Cheers in advance

macdanger2

Quote from: AustinPowers on January 20, 2016, 08:31:54 PM
Hoping for some advice regarding the security guard type of work. Basically, need a change of direction and toying with doing the training  with a view to finding work,

Training seems ok, 3/4 days. A few modules, exam etc.

The question is if the security work would be suitable. Have trouble with the back,so not sure if this work would be ideal ie. standing for long periods, on the feet all the time etc.

Was thinking of more the supermarket/shopping centre sort of security, not the doorman/bouncer role.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of the security guard job,and what it might entail and what would be expected of me. Sorta need to know what it involves before going ahead with the training.

Cheers in advance

Worked as a security guard in M&S on Grafton st for a few months after college. Training was a couple of days over in England which was pretty interesting actually.

The job itself was ok, there were 4 security guards in the shop - one on cameras, one walking the shop and one at each of two doors and you rotated every half hour. If you have a bad back, the standing would be tough I'd say, I used to find it sore on my feet - standing in the one spot for 30min is a lot more tiring than it looks!!

I knew some other fellas who had jobs watching a site or something which would probably be easier on your back although likely to involve night work.

Good luck with it

AustinPowers

Thanks mac. Something to think about.
Don't actually mind the thought of night work,as long as I could manage .

pullhard

I done a bit of night security at a quiet site years ago.
Slept most of the time on the job, which was accepted practise.

AustinPowers

Quote from: pullhard on January 21, 2016, 09:27:05 AM
I done a bit of night security at a quiet site years ago.
Slept most of the time on the job, which was accepted practise.

Sounds like the dream job!  ;D