LAOIS SENIOR FOOTBALL 2016

Started by Unlaoised, January 12, 2016, 12:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Terrace

we dont have a defender on our current panel that would get in a division one/top 4 team this is the way it is. Our defenders want to score first defend second this is how its being for the last number of years. I dont believe Lillis is prioritising league, In fairness the last few years staying in div 2 has done f**k all for us come the summer so dont see it as a big issue. I think our midfield does not give our back 6 enough cover  either.

Giovanni

We lost the game against Derry because we conceded 5 goals. We lost 5 goals because Derry players were allowed the freedom to drive through the middle of our defence. That happened because runners were not tracked and tackles were not made (or not made in the right areas of the pitch). You can put that down to the manager's game plan. I put it down to character. Cahir Healy wouldn't need a game plan to track his man. Neither does Evan O Carroll.

We lost against Tyrone because they were the better team. Here, I agree that Laois gave everything they had (it was one of the sexy games) but the preparations of the Tyrone team were clearly far superior and they deserved to win the game. Here, I think the Tyrone management was clearly superior and this was a major difference between the teams.

I couldn't go to the Cavan game but the accounts I've heard is that it was another weak enough performance.

My point is that if we played with the same passion that we played against Tyrone in all of our league games, we'd probably be vying with Cavan for the promotion spot, even with the inferior technical preparations. We had the same manager for the Fermanagh game and the Tyrone game.

I have never criticised individual players on line and I won't do it now but the evidence I have seen over the last 10 years suggests that unilaterally blaming management for these losses is not going to solve the problem.

Stad

Giovanni, you're talking nonsense. The effort the players have been putting into every game has been clear for all to see. They all have been giving everything. It's obvious from watching that they are not organised, the set up is all wrong. That's in attack and defence. In every game we see examples of half backs, midfielders and half forwards sprinting back trying to cover runs. It's impossible to defend this way. You have to be facing the play to defend correctly. Plus our players around the middle don't have the pace to track runs.
This is obvious to all, except our management team it appears. Previous managers have realised this and organised our defence. That was with inferior squads. Let's not forget in the recent past we were so stuck for defenders that we had Kevin Meaney at full back, Lillis at full back, O'Loghlin centre back, Jamie Kavanagh corner back, we even had to convert Peter O'Leary into a corner back!! This management team has the best squad we've had for years but they look like they're dragging us to division 3 for the first time since 1991!!!
How the manager can be defended is beyond me, he hasn't even organised a pitch to train on according to himself. He's so bad he doesn't even have excuses, he just says he doesn't know what's going on. It's embarrassing. The players are doing everything asked of them, they're not world beaters, they won't be winning Leinster titles but they deserve better than the current set up. I'm really dreading what Dublin will do to us and that's if we beat Wicklow. It needs to be sorted out now.

Tony

Giovanni says that the lads are lacking in character and not giving their all and then he says I'm the obnoxious one for saying he's out of line? Then he goes on to admit that Tyrone were better prepared than Laois for the game.

The preparation is the MANAGEMENT's duty, don't you think. Go home, Giovanni, you're drunk and confusing yourself.

It's clear to anyone who GOES TO the games and sees things up close, that we're orgasised as well as an army of headless chickens.

Believe it or not, Giovanni, that's a MANAGEMENT responsibility. Not an issue of player character.

You don't even show up to games and you're blaming the players commitment and character. That's a bit laughable to be honest.

These players give their all and I'm proud of them for that. All they need is a setup to get the most from them - IE  some proper tactics and preparation from the management. That will make the difference.

Giovanni

It does seem that you find confusing any argument which presents anything other than a binary position: one or zero; black or white; manager's fault or not.

I have missed about 6 Laois matches since 2002, when I returned to Ireland. Two of those were due to deaths in the family. I'm including here midweek O Byrne cup games. I have to travel 90 miles to get to the home games and 90 miles back. I feel I am generally qualified to have an opinion.

I know the more complex argument is probably lost on you but I'll give it one more go. Since 2002 I think we've have 7 or 8 managers. I'm not sure I've counted them all. They've all been dismissed and considered by us to be inadequate in one way or another. This includes the most successful manager in the history of the game. Very few questions have been asked about the players in all this time.

This is just plain ridiculous in my opinion. It doesn't matter how sophisticated the system is or who good a communicator the manager is if the players don't have it within themselves to treat a championship match against Antrim in the same way that they would treat a sexy game against Tyrone. This mental discipline and toughness comes from within the players themselves. The manager can certainly contribute to this and add to it (Cody's character is stamped all over the Kilkenny hurlers) but the raw material has to be there. It wasn't for lack of talent that Cody discarded the likes of Charlie Carter and Cha Fitzpatrick. Donegal didn't turn into shrinking violets when McGuinness left.

This character is built up over a period of time (and probably from the juvenile levels). It is based on mental discipline, humility, teamwork, self-belief and belief in team mates, and all the personality features that you need to succeed. These are fundamental building blocks for any manager.

This does not mean that Lillis is without any blame. If there is no training pitch, this is just total ludicrous and it's entirely his fault. If there is no warm up routine, he is entirely to blame. If there is no game plan, then he is to blame. If players are not understanding their role, then he is to blame.

However, the players have to finally take some responsibility for what's going on out on the pitch in a match situation. Tyrone beat us because they were a better prepared team (and here the manager must take responsibility). The Galway result, for example, was completely different - that was down to poor player decision-making on the field and, I'm afraid poor character. I am suggesting we focus on the basic things needed to beat Galway, Antrim, Longford, Derry, Fermanagh. We need to make sure that we beat the teams that we are clearly better than (whatever the system). That comes from inside the players in the first place.

Unlaoised

I'm going to have to agree with Tony here on this one but Giovanni as usual makes some good points there can be no excuse for loosing to Tipperary twice and antrim Longford and Louth with the talent we had and still have in our ranks.

Some of that must come with in the team no matter who the manager is.

However as much as I like Mick Lillis I really feel him and his two wise men need help to get a defensive system in place maybe make more use of the Stats men they have.

Are they doing enough analysis of the games and future opponents I know Fermanagh had watched 12 videos of recent Laois games before they played us yes the players watched us 12 times that's preparation for you....

Not saying you have to go to that extreme but it shows by the way they are progressing with a smaller pool of talent they are doing something right.

I think we can and we will improve the management team might get some help on board or use the help thats already there to better affect.
I've heard a story that John Sugrue might be brought in as a coach but I'm not certain the person that said it is that reliable.
LAOIS ABÚ

Junior Ex Laoistalk

I think it would be a great move getting John Sugrue involved at this stage. The job is clearly beyond Mick Lillis on his own and he is going to have to accept that.
If Wolley is to be believed he will be too stubborn to believe that he needs help but let's hope he puts the needs of the team and county before his own beliefs.
A win on Sunday would be a good kickstart to the championship games and might even keep us in Div.2 even tho' I don't think we will survive and are destined for Div.3 next year.
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

County Man

Getting John Sugrue involved would be a huge plus.

Cavan got their scores way too easily last Sunday.

In terms of tomorrow, lets take something towards the championship by beating Meath.

Hopefully a good home crowd will turn out as Meath will definitely bring a decent following.

Hopefully there will be a tighter defensive structure in place.

Would be so sweet if we manage to win and so do Derry.

Should be a cracking game tomorrow, as good as a championship game.

Good luck Laois

Thewildcat

Quote from: Giovanni on March 31, 2016, 03:53:11 PM
It does seem that you find confusing any argument which presents anything other than a binary position: one or zero; black or white; manager's fault or not.

I have missed about 6 Laois matches since 2002, when I returned to Ireland. Two of those were due to deaths in the family. I'm including here midweek O Byrne cup games. I have to travel 90 miles to get to the home games and 90 miles back. I feel I am generally qualified to have an opinion.

I know the more complex argument is probably lost on you but I'll give it one more go. Since 2002 I think we've have 7 or 8 managers. I'm not sure I've counted them all. They've all been dismissed and considered by us to be inadequate in one way or another. This includes the most successful manager in the history of the game. Very few questions have been asked about the players in all this time.

This is just plain ridiculous in my opinion. It doesn't matter how sophisticated the system is or who good a communicator the manager is if the players don't have it within themselves to treat a championship match against Antrim in the same way that they would treat a sexy game against Tyrone. This mental discipline and toughness comes from within the players themselves. The manager can certainly contribute to this and add to it (Cody's character is stamped all over the Kilkenny hurlers) but the raw material has to be there. It wasn't for lack of talent that Cody discarded the likes of Charlie Carter and Cha Fitzpatrick. Donegal didn't turn into shrinking violets when McGuinness left.

This character is built up over a period of time (and probably from the juvenile levels). It is based on mental discipline, humility, teamwork, self-belief and belief in team mates, and all the personality features that you need to succeed. These are fundamental building blocks for any manager.

This does not mean that Lillis is without any blame. If there is no training pitch, this is just total ludicrous and it's entirely his fault. If there is no warm up routine, he is entirely to blame. If there is no game plan, then he is to blame. If players are not understanding their role, then he is to blame.

However, the players have to finally take some responsibility for what's going on out on the pitch in a match situation. Tyrone beat us because they were a better prepared team (and here the manager must take responsibility). The Galway result, for example, was completely different - that was down to poor player decision-making on the field and, I'm afraid poor character. I am suggesting we focus on the basic things needed to beat Galway, Antrim, Longford, Derry, Fermanagh. We need to make sure that we beat the teams that we are clearly better than (whatever the system). That comes from inside the players in the first place.

great post most won't agree with it but its true. when you cross the white line its whats in you will come out, blame all the mangers in the world if it makes you feel better. but the blame lays at the players feet at the end of the day, what ever about one or two mangers but they all can't be wrong.  i think the Antrim defeat in portlaoise last year should have woke fans up about the lack of effort from the squad.

redsetanta

according to Damien Lawlor Laois looked tired at half time and simply ran out of steam and couldn't keep near Meath. Fair enough they were down to 14 but many teams loose a man and rather than tire it inspires them. Sounds like there's a problem with the fitness.

So it's back to the pre Micko days.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

les Antiques

That was shocking stuff . Laois have not looked altogether fit throughout the league but today they looked unfit to anyone in the stand . No plan .. No leaders and a manager who keeps getting sent the stands . After been to Enniskillen and Breffini this was the most demoralising..

The Monument Road

Horrible horible and disgusting dispaly. Its getting progressivley worse every year and now we are at the bottom. Bar a small few a lot of the players have a lot to answer for. No effort, just lay off the ball to the nearest player and your "job is done" mentality. The management are very amateurish but we cannot keep blaming managers year in and out. Those players have no pride in themselves or the jersie. Saying that this must be the most ill prepared team i've seen in a long while.Fitness levels, tactics and selection leave me flummoxed. Also to see a substituted player throw his dodi out of the pram when he was taken off capped it all. Shamefull. You would never see the likes of the Beano, Tom kelly, Joe higgins darren rooney behave in such a manner. If they are happy with Div 3 football let them have it....they deserve it

Gmac

Quote from: redsetanta on April 03, 2016, 03:47:23 PM
according to Damien Lawlor Laois looked tired at half time and simply ran out of steam and couldn't keep near Meath. Fair enough they were down to 14 but many teams loose a man and rather than tire it inspires them. Sounds like there's a problem with the fitness.

So it's back to the pre Micko days.
laois were not up to standard fitness wise last year either if they were they would have finished off Kildare in the drawn game and finished Antrim also

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Terrible stuff, after a start we could only dream of we just didn't know how to play with a lead and let them right back into it. Terribly disappointed with our leaders on the team, they should have steadied it all down when we started losing our way and kicked a few points but instead of that they tried to walk the ball into the net and left four or five points behind them before half time.
We were like a junior team in the second half and fitness really let us down. I think Div 3 is just about our standard right now but management have a lot to answer for.   
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Stad

I might comment on the game at a later time but just have a listen to this joker:

https://soundcloud.com/midlandssport/mick-lillis-post-laois-loss-in-the-nfl-to-meath

He hasn't got a clue. Defensive football is not in Laois' psyche? It's only northern teams that play defensively? You'd think we were Kerry or something the way he's going on and guess what? They play as defensively as anyone. He's the first manager to drag us to division 3 of the national league since 1991! We conceded 136 points in the league, that's worse than everyone including London, it's an average of over 19 points a game. And then we have to play Dublin soon and that's only if we get by Wicklow. Play like that and Dublin will score 10 goals against us.