LAOIS SENIOR FOOTBALL 2016

Started by Unlaoised, January 12, 2016, 12:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OTF

It will take till the end of the league  at least before we can make any judgement. He seems to be giving lads going well in training a chance which is fine, ok it didn't work out for those lads on Sunday and starting 4/5 debutants in your first league game of the year  was probably a mistake.
Remember we were brutal last year 1st day out against Westmeath also and the year before against Donegal enough said.

Unlaoised

Just hope Mick and the players give it there all this year there is still some great talent among the squad so here's hoping !
LAOIS ABÚ

Hospital Pass

Missed the game Sunday due to a family event. no consideration  :P
What was the crowd like on sunday?
5 debutantes and another 2 off the bench was a big gamble from Lillis. 
A 1-10 scoreline would have meant points on the board in 2 of the 3 other division 2 games.
The problem with us is, we are conceding far too much and leaving an unattainable score target to beat.
I wasn't a fan of Mcnultys defensive shape but from the years since his tenure i can see why he did it.

Unlaoised

Quote from: Hospital Pass on February 03, 2016, 04:05:24 PM
Missed the game Sunday due to a family event. no consideration  :P
What was the crowd like on sunday?
5 debutantes and another 2 off the bench was a big gamble from Lillis. 
A 1-10 scoreline would have meant points on the board in 2 of the 3 other division 2 games.
The problem with us is, we are conceding far too much and leaving an unattainable score target to beat.
I wasn't a fan of Mcnultys defensive shape but from the years since his tenure i can see why he did it.

Yes Mcnulty made Laois hard to watch but hard to beat at the same time...I think we should have defo kept him for another year!
LAOIS ABÚ

ILikeStrawberryJam

I just couldnt watch Laois under McNulty in his final year.
There was no enjoyment in it as a supporter and i doubt there was as a player.
I remember being at the league match against Westmeath and he was screaming at i think
it was Gary Walsh to go back and defend. that would have put the entire 15 in our half.
Granted there was a big wind but how is that football.

There has to be a happy medium. To be fair Laois Senior Football Manger in 2016 is a tough job.
He deserves a lash at it. He's a rookie at this level. Hisfirst game tactically was a mess in the first half.
But to be fair several teams took hidings on Sunday. Can he learn from it and adapt, thats the big question..
Armagh will tell us more ..

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: ILikeStrawberryJam on February 03, 2016, 05:42:04 PM

If Laois want to be competitive against good teams then a proper defensive structure is needed, McNulty had that in place. It will never be known whether that system would have evolved to be better going forward but with the continuous improvement of Donie Kingston and the emergence of Evan O'Carroll and to a lesser extent the younger Kingston it might have happened. These players would have been more enjoyable to watch than Billy Sheehan.

Although I am a Kildare man I felt bad seeing Ross Munnelly stuck in the corner last season too where his loss of pace had him struggling against tight marking corner backs. McNulty had the sense to see that he was more useful pulling the strings out the field where he could find space.

Unlaoised

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on February 03, 2016, 09:42:38 PM
Quote from: ILikeStrawberryJam on February 03, 2016, 05:42:04 PM

If Laois want to be competitive against good teams then a proper defensive structure is needed, McNulty had that in place. It will never be known whether that system would have evolved to be better going forward but with the continuous improvement of Donie Kingston and the emergence of Evan O'Carroll and to a lesser extent the younger Kingston it might have happened. These players would have been more enjoyable to watch than Billy Sheehan.

Although I am a Kildare man I felt bad seeing Ross Munnelly stuck in the corner last season too where his loss of pace had him struggling against tight marking corner backs. McNulty had the sense to see that he was more useful pulling the strings out the field where he could find space.

:) :) :) :)

Interesting point of view...

Yeah McNulty had something about him we might have not been great to watch but we were competitive and I think your right the emergence of O'Carroll and Paul Kingston might have just given another edge to the counter attack game he was developing .

Anyway that's a thread for time gone past No word on the team for Saturday night but i'd hazard a guess at something like...

Brody
Cotter
Timmons
Kehoe
Strong
Lillis
Dillon

Meaney
O'Carroll

O'Connor
D.Kingston
E.Costello

P.Kingston
G.Walsh
P.Cahillane

Maybe thats harsh on the lads that got hooked the last day and I think young Seale deserves another go maybe put Cotter at number 6 Lillis in midfield and O'Carroll into the half forwards.

Short of options hope he calls up Lowry maybe Daly and Moore from the 21's now.

LAOIS ABÚ

From the Terrace

we should be protecting our younger footballers never mind rushing them into a senior panel.. i think the u21 panel should be left alone until after they complete there championship, with the obvious exception of O'Carroll maybe one more. Give them a chance.

County Man

I read this nearly every day but I rarely post.

Some interesting comments over the last few days.
It always seems to be most active when Laois take a big beating.

In my view, give the new manager a chance and some time. He is trying to build a new team for the championship.

That is what is most important. It wont be the end of the world if we go down to division 3 once we have established our best team for the championship and a potential game with Dublin.

Yes the first half last Sunday against Galway was a shambles but we are experimenting.

Last year we also started awfully aginst both Westmeath and Cavan but we managed to eek our way out. 2 years ago we thrashed Galway in the league yet they put it up to Kerry in the all Ireland quater final. The league can be a funny thing. Monaghan came from division 3 in 2013 to win Ulster. Meath were also in div 3 in 2013. Armagh last year in division 3.

Guys have to come back. Colm Begley is a big loss. Donoher is injured. Quigley is suspended. Anyone know about Tom Shiel? Is S Attride due back?

We do need to find a defensive system as this is where we are in trouble. Plenty of options in attack.

That is what we need to use the league for. Lets hope for a better performance in Armagh. Tighter in defence. Then a few weeks hard training. Come March lets see if things improve. Fermanagh and Cavan games vital along with Derry. I predict we'l improve a lot.

Things should be shaping up come the last game v Meath. That will be a more realistic view of where we stand.
The harder ground, the faster ball.

We survived in division 2 in both 2014 and 2015 and what did we gain? We had disasterous championships.

Obviously we're not world beaters but i'd love if a system and team is in place for championship to Compete. That would mean seeing off Wicklow on May 14th and laying in to Dublin when Nowlan Park arrives. That has to be the target. The team and management should be judged on championship and on a qualifier run.

So lets get behind our guys cos they deserve it. There was a decent crowd in the stand last Sunday and hopefully it continues.

Laois Abu.

Tony

Quote from: High Fielder on February 03, 2016, 12:30:18 PM
.... We could fill a panel of lads who don't want to play, so he's on the back foot before he starts.

I always read this kind of comment, year in year out. You say we can pick a panel of players who don't want to play. Go on then - (apart from Cahir Healy who wants to play but can't) - name 10 players that would make a good impact to this team but "don't want to play"?

It'd give anyone a headache listening to that. Give us 10 players who would make an impact, high fielder, or just put that comment to bed.

High Fielder

Glynn, Boyle, Bruno, Healy, Scully, McMahon, o Leary, Meredith, Lowry, Attride, Begley.

Most of them would start ahead of what's in there now. All would be an addition. Take your head out of the sand Tony and stop coding yourself.

Uisce

Going to be a tough game up in Armagh, but one we are capable of winning. We have a history of pulling off unexpected victories in the league for the last number of years so hopefully this weekend will provide another surprise win. The lads will surely want to bounce back after what was a pretty dismal first outing. If they don't pick up a win or two in the league, management and players will be under serious pressure going into the Wicklow game.

Team for weekend:
Brody
Seale
Timmons
Kehoe
Strong
Cotter
Dillon
Meaney
Lillis
Farrell
Kingston
Donohor
Cahillane
O'Carroll
Walsh

Tony

Quote from: High Fielder on February 04, 2016, 09:58:44 PM
Glynn, Boyle, Bruno, Healy, Scully, McMahon, o Leary, Meredith, Lowry, Attride, Begley.

Are you serious boyo.

You said there's a whole panel of players who don't want to play.

Bruno not an intercounty player for many years. Healy committed to the hurlers as he's travelling from London. McMahon, Begley and O Leary retired (they're allowed to retire you know? without having their desire to play for Laois questioned). Lowry wants to play and will be in at some point if management bring him in. Attride is currently playing for his college and will be in.

So that leaves Glynn, Boyle, Scully, Merideth.

Boyle and Merideth have given commitment for years but can't this year. Doesn't mean they don't want to play. They can't play.

Glynn untested at this level - most likely not a starter.

That leaves Scully. Maybe he could come on board.

1 legit person who may or may not make a difference.

Well done High Fielder. Keep making the claim and defaming a whole squad of Laois players "don't want to play for Laois" when you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

High Fielder

Are you going to Armagh tomorrow night Tony?

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Brilliant victory tonight for the lads in horrible conditions. Evan O'Carroll is one class act for a young man and he can be a real star for us this year. Paul Cahillane really came good tonight and he is another who will win games for us and he was brilliant tonight. He works so hard off the ball and creates great space for himself and will certainly get better as the year goes on.
McGeaney was not a happy man on the line tonight and was arguing with his selectors lots of the time. Maybe he should have taken the Laois job while he had the chance. ;)

Great performance from everyone concerned tonight.....
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!