Philly McMahon

Started by Mayo Border, September 21, 2015, 08:56:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on September 25, 2015, 08:03:15 AM
Potential one match ban - the GAA are jokers. I guess it clears the way for everyone else to give it a go for a laugh

If true, the way this years went, punishment wise, one match is pretty harsh  ! The whole thing needs a swift and drastic overhaul. It really is a joke at this stage

whorelindub

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 23, 2015, 11:25:15 PM
that the proper way to issue bans, 3 days, no f**king around, no legal get outs, Appeals use to be increased if they failed but i think that doesn't apply any more.
national teams respect the reports given and don't try to cheat there way round the rules to get players off like the Gaelic or soccer.

Rugbys disciplinary process wasn't much help to Brian o Driscoll when the 2 new Zealand thugs tried to put him in a wheelchair.

macdanger2

Appealing the ban apparently. It'll be interesting to hear what the defence is

From the Bunker

Thought that he'd sit back take the ban and let the dust settle. Being banned for one match would mean shag all to him at this stage! Must want to clear his name and open up the chance of getting player of the year and any other accolades. Although I doubt the overturning of the ban would have a dramatic effect on the perception of him as a player.

Either way the GAA need to wrap this up and get a serious plan in place to deal with their seriously inept disciplinary system.

twohands!!!

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 01, 2015, 10:15:50 AM
Thought that he'd sit back take the ban and let the dust settle. Being banned for one match would mean shag all to him at this stage! Must want to clear his name and open up the chance of getting player of the year and any other accolades. Although I doubt the overturning of the ban would have a dramatic effect on the perception of him as a player.

Either way the GAA need to wrap this up and get a serious plan in place to deal with their seriously inept disciplinary system.

Hasnt a hope of POTY as that is voted on by the actual players - a serious chunk of whom he'll have played against (whereas the selection for the three candidates is made by a committee) Even if he is cleared and goes on a massive media blitz his reputation with the actual players will come against him in the end.

Said McCaffrey at 7/1 was a tasty price a while back and I stick to it.
Far more likeable than McMahon which counts for a lot when down to the final three - also has pedigree in that he was a Young Player of the Year previously.
The only obstacle stopping Brogan from getting it is the fact that he won it already.

PW Nally

Quote from: twohands!!! on October 01, 2015, 10:24:51 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on October 01, 2015, 10:15:50 AM

Hasnt a hope of POTY as that is voted on by the actual players - a serious chunk of whom he'll have played against (whereas the selection for the three candidates is made by a committee) Even if he is cleared and goes on a massive media blitz his reputation with the actual players will come against him in the end.

Said McCaffrey at 7/1 was a tasty price a while back and I stick to it.
Far more likeable than McMahon which counts for a lot when down to the final three - also has pedigree in that he was a Young Player of the Year previously.
The only obstacle stopping Brogan from getting it is the fact that he won it already.
And that he had a stinker in the final.

Beffs

Mitigating circumstances. All the forwards had stinkers in the final, due to the conditions.

The Hill is Blue

Philly McMahon's contribution to Dublin's retaking of Sam this year was enormous. He is definitely my POTY.

I believe that there are very few players or managers or supporters in this country who would not want Philly on their team.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Wildweasel74

cant see a man who tries to headbutt a player, stick his knees into a player on the ground, and i don't know what he was at with Donaghy been remotely near to be considered a player of the year, some role model for the kids indeed.  Again focus is down to 6 wks in the year August and a few weeks in September, surely there has to be a better process to picking a player of the year. Some players had good seasons, M Murphy,L Keegan,  J McCaffrey (who get it) C Kilkenny and Mcmahon in general. Personally the best player in the country this year was Monaghans Conor McManus

The Aristocrat

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on October 01, 2015, 05:59:25 PM
Philly McMahon's contribution to Dublin's retaking of Sam this year was enormous. He is definitely my POTY.

I believe that there are very few players or managers or supporters in this country who would not want Philly on their team.

Agree, most dominant player in the country this year, a hero, a gentlemen and a good role model . Deserves it.

After him then Bernard, after Bernard Rory O Carroll, After him then Connolly, then Jack. Connolly was in many peoples eyes a shoe in up until the semi-finals. Didn't stand out in either game but contributed hugely.

JoG2

Quote from: The Aristocrat on October 02, 2015, 08:20:45 AM

Agree, most dominant player in the country this year, a hero, a gentlemen and a good role model . Deserves it.

After him then Bernard, after Bernard Rory O Carroll, After him then Connolly, then Jack. Connolly was in many peoples eyes a shoe in up until the semi-finals. Didn't stand out in either game but contributed hugely.

and roll model of the year goes to......

'right kids, pay attention. First part of training today will be  headbutting, then we'll move on to feigning injury. After hang sangwiches we'll progress to gouging eyeballs. Oh, and don't forget to bring a friend next week'.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: JoG2 on October 02, 2015, 09:35:56 AM

'right kids, pay attention. First part of training today will be  headbutting, then we'll move on to feigning injury. After hang sangwiches we'll progress to gouging eyeballs. Oh, and don't forget to bring a friend next week'.

Can empathise with those sentiments perhaps, but FFS, he's a gaelic footballer not an acrobat: ROLE model!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Syferus

Good player but very up and down. Seems to have had trouble even making the Dublin 15 in most of the last few years.

I don't see how McMahon is getting all this credit for keeping AOS quiet in particular, he was only one two players whose only task was to mark him, with a third man quick to help out. And in the first game in particular McMahon should have been sent off, all he did was foul once AOS got the ball. When he realised AOS can't track back effectively in the second game he made hay going forward but also scuffed a few golden opportunities too.

I getting a feeling Dublin people are trying to make McMahon into some sort of roguish hero ala Ricey in Tyrone because neutrals have little time for the way he goes about playing the game but honestly I don't care enough about McMahon to have strongly negative or positive feelings about him.

JoG2

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 02, 2015, 10:21:03 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on October 02, 2015, 09:35:56 AM

Can empathise with those sentiments perhaps, but FFS, he's a gaelic footballer not an acrobat: ROLE model!

you'd needy check yourself in if you're getting that upset over a typo ;-)

macdanger2

Quote from: Syferus on October 02, 2015, 10:24:14 AM

Good player but very up and down. Seems to have had trouble even making the Dublin 15 in most of the last few years.

I don't see how McMahon is getting all this credit for keeping AOS quiet in particular, he was only one two players whose only task was to mark him, with a third man quick to help out. And in the first game in particular McMahon should have been sent off, all he did was foul once AOS got the ball. When he realised AOS can't track back effectively in the second game he made hay going forward but also scuffed a few golden opportunities too.

It's also worth noting that while AOS only scored 0-1 in the two matches, he was fouled for 4 pointed frees in the first game and 3 in the second so it wasn't quite the lockdown job indicated by the scoring stats alone