Question about extra time

Started by stiffler, August 11, 2015, 10:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stiffler

If a player is booked during normal time , and then is booked during extra time, does this equal a red card? Or does the extra time represent a new game, I.e. All players start with a clean slate?
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

macdanger2

I'm sure one of the refs on here will be able to tell you for sure but I think it's a clean slate in ET.

I'm basing that on a vague memory of Mayo playing Westmeath a few years back in a qualifier and a Westmeath player getting two yellows during the game but being allowed back on (or at least a replacement) at the start of ET. Not 100% sure though

AZOffaly

Not sure if this rule changed recently, but in 2003 it was not wiped clean. We played Roscommon in a qualifier and they had a lad sent off in normal time. He was replaced for the start of extra time, as usual.

But one of our midfielders got a second yellow card in extra time and was sent off.

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 11, 2015, 10:54:03 PM
Not sure if this rule changed recently, but in 2003 it was not wiped clean. We played Roscommon in a qualifier and they had a lad sent off in normal time. He was replaced for the start of extra time, as usual.

But one of our midfielders got a second yellow card in extra time and was sent off.

In fairness Frankie wouldn't have been marked by an army of Keith Higgins that day..

macdanger2

That's odd that double yellows would be wiped while singles wouldn't

AZOffaly

Quote from: Syferus on August 11, 2015, 10:57:02 PM

In fairness Frankie wouldn't have been marked by an army of Keith Higgins that day..

True. He was on fire. He had a savage game in the previous round too I seem to remember?

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 11, 2015, 11:03:06 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 11, 2015, 10:57:02 PM

True. He was on fire. He had a savage game in the previous round too I seem to remember?

He was great all year but it was the Offaly game and the Kildare game in the next round (extra time too in that one) that he scored 12 and 13 points respectively. Still banging them away for Brigids.

magpie seanie

Quote from: stiffler on August 11, 2015, 10:10:14 PM
If a player is booked during normal time , and then is booked during extra time, does this equal a red card? Or does the extra time represent a new game, I.e. All players start with a clean slate?

The answer to your question is no - it's not a red card. Yellow cards issued in normal time do not carry over to extra time.

It's not a completely "clean slate" though as players ordered off (red or black) may not play in extra time. Any other 15 players on the team list at the start of the game may start extra time. Max of 3 subs allowed in extra time.

magpie seanie

Official Guide Part 2 - Rules of Specification Rule 2.6 gives you all that.

blanketattack

Yellows wiped clean, those who received black or red during normal time not allowed play in extra time.

http://m.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2015/0409/693081-gaa-rule-changes-to-take-effect-at-weekend/

Jell 0 Biafra

Is it still the case that a team with a man sent off in regulation can reset to 15 players for extra time?  I've seen this happen a couple of times.  Most recently when Dublin played Wexford a few years back, and Dublin had been playing a man down, but reset to 15 for extra time.  Happened against Dublin in one of the Dublin-Meath games from the 4 game saga (the second one, I think).

Gabriel_Hurl

ET is technically a new game - so they start with 15-a-side

blanketattack

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on August 11, 2015, 11:57:22 PM
Is it still the case that a team with a man sent off in regulation can reset to 15 players for extra time?  I've seen this happen a couple of times.  Most recently when Dublin played Wexford a few years back, and Dublin had been playing a man down, but reset to 15 for extra time.  Happened against Dublin in one of the Dublin-Meath games from the 4 game saga (the second one, I think).

Yes, you can pick any 15 players from your squad for ET regardless of how many players were sent off, but cant use players who got black or red carded.

trileacman

Right another one. If you've been pulled back and the referee signals advantage can you take a shot, miss and be allowed the free under the advantage rule? Or does the advantage stop once you've taken your shot.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Gabriel_Hurl

Rule 4.34

When a Technical Foul is committed, the
Referee may allow the play to continue if he
considers it to be to the advantage of the
offended team. He shall signal that advantage
by raising an arm upright and shall allow the
advantage to run by maintaining his arm in
the upright position for up to five seconds
after the foul or for less time if it becomes