Venues

Started by Sidney, July 25, 2015, 10:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sidney

The fixing of venues for some championship matches is bizarre.

3,815 attended this evening's Cork v Kildare match. Why Thurles, why vast swathes of empty seats and terracing? There is no reason why this could not have been played at a more suitable venue, such as Nowlan Park, Portlaoise, or hell, even Nenagh or Kilmallock.

Longford played Kildare in Round 3. Longford should have had home advantage, but given that the capacity of Pearse Park was reduced to 8,000, the ground was deemed to be too small and the match was moved to Mullingar, thus depriving Longford of home advantage. 5,914 people turned up, which Pearse Park could easily have handled. Why did Longford not object to that match being moved, given that their already slim chance of victory was clearly lessened by the venue switch?

My favourite decision of this type was in 2002, when Wicklow drew Kerry at home in the qualifiers. Aughrim's 7,000 capacity was deemed to be insufficient for a match that was "bound to attract huge interest", so it was moved to Portlaoise, where it drew circa 1,200 people. What wonderful planning that was.

The public reaction to one of the GAA's occasional sensible venue decisions, to stage last year's Kerry-Mayo replay in Limerick, was also strange. The venue choice was heavily criticised, much of this criticism on the basis that the 45,000 capacity would prove insufficient to satisfy demand from the paying public. Yet only 36,000 people turned up.

I would advise those who dislike feeling lonely to stay away from Croke Park next Saturday. There will be tumbleweed blowing through the place. I hereby set the spread on the attendance at 11,003 and a half persons. 10/11 under, 10/11 over.

T Fearon

Tyrone have over 11,000 people in their management team!

Sidney

Quote from: T Fearon on July 25, 2015, 11:52:52 PM
Tyrone have over 11,000 people in their management team!
Do they have a feng shui consultant, like Dublin? I bet they don't.

armaghniac

Thurles was a reasonable choice on geographic grounds. THe real issue is why two counties with a combined population of three quarters of a million could only manage such a poor attendance.

One reason why games are moved is that if the ground is going to be full you are into ticket distribution and all that palaver, whereas if they move to a bigger ground then people can pay on the day.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Quote from: Sidney on July 25, 2015, 10:08:31 PM

3,815 attended this evening's Cork v Kildare match. Why Thurles, why vast swathes of empty seats and terracing? There is no reason why this could not have been played at a more suitable venue, such as Nowlan Park, Portlaoise, or hell, even Nenagh or Kilmallock.

Longford played Kildare in Round 3. Longford should have had home advantage, but given that the capacity of Pearse Park was reduced to 8,000, the ground was deemed to be too small and the match was moved to Mullingar, thus depriving Longford of home advantage. 5,914 people turned up, which Pearse Park could easily have handled. Why did Longford not object to that match being moved, given that their already slim chance of victory was clearly lessened by the venue switch?

My favourite decision of this type was in 2002, when Wicklow drew Kerry at home in the qualifiers. Aughrim's 7,000 capacity was deemed to be insufficient for a match that was "bound to attract huge interest", so it was moved to Portlaoise, where it drew circa 1,200 people. What wonderful planning that was.

The public reaction to one of the GAA's occasional sensible venue decisions, to stage last year's Kerry-Mayo replay in Limerick, was also strange. The venue choice was heavily criticised, much of this criticism on the basis that the 45,000 capacity would prove insufficient to satisfy demand from the paying public. Yet only 36,000 people turned up.

I would advise those who dislike feeling lonely to stay away from Croke Park next Saturday. There will be tumbleweed blowing through the place. I hereby set the spread on the attendance at 11,003 and a half persons. 10/11 under, 10/11 over.

Balls.

52,500 were at the drawn game. The drop of 32% in attendance for the replay, despite moving the venue next door to Kerry, would indicate something else was amiss.

My main issue was the Croke Park was available. It was simply being held in case the Dubs drew. That is not to point the finger at the Dubs, merely at those who run the GAA. It is they who decide and apply the double standards.
MWWSI 2017

Beantown

Surely we know by now that Gaa hierarchy and common sense dont mix.  It's a great feeling going to croke park and no doubt the players love playing there but for example next Saturdays qualifiers should be at a smaller ground  that would generate a good atmosphere and would have the feel of a championship game..  There seems to be a push to put games in the biggest ground available yet invariably the grounds end up being half full at best... Cork v Kikdare in tipp seems logical from a geographical point if view but surely Kilkenny would have made more sense from a spectator and atmosphere point of view.  Lower the prices and encourage people to travel.

mayo.mick

Quote from: Beantown on July 26, 2015, 09:10:38 PM
Surely we know by now that Gaa hierarchy and common sense dont mix.  It's a great feeling going to croke park and no doubt the players love playing there but for example next Saturdays qualifiers should be at a smaller ground  that would generate a good atmosphere and would have the feel of a championship game..  There seems to be a push to put games in the biggest ground available yet invariably the grounds end up being half full at best... Cork v Kikdare in tipp seems logical from a geographical point if view but surely Kilkenny would have made more sense from a spectator and atmosphere point of view.  Lower the prices and encourage people to travel.

Wash your mouth out!  :P
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

Syferus

Prices are low enough. Sending out free tickets to clubs or schools would be a good idea for so,e games but the base prices are very good unless you have absolutely no perspective of what the pricing in other major sports is.

Mayo4Sam14

Speaking as someone who was at that match, it was sold out, it was a bit chaotic outside before the match it looked like they might have to delay the match because nothing was moving but I think they just stopped scanning peoples tickets. It was all a disaster from start to end.
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

From the Bunker

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on July 27, 2015, 10:05:38 AM

Speaking as someone who was at that match, it was sold out, it was a bit chaotic outside before the match it looked like they might have to delay the match because nothing was moving but I think they just stopped scanning peoples tickets. It was all a disaster from start to end.

I had friends who's seats did not exist and they ended up sitting with the Kerry subs!

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: muppet on July 26, 2015, 05:05:49 PM

Balls.

52,500 were at the drawn game. The drop of 32% in attendance for the replay, despite moving the venue next door to Kerry, would indicate something else was amiss.

My main issue was the Croke Park was available. It was simply being held in case the Dubs drew. That is not to point the finger at the Dubs, merely at those who run the GAA. It is they who decide and apply the double standards.

Indeed
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Jinxy

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 27, 2015, 10:08:56 AM

I had friends who's seats did not exist and they ended up sitting with the Kerry subs!

Did any of them get a run?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Sidney

Quote from: Jinxy on July 27, 2015, 10:20:32 AM

Did any of them get a run?
One lad did with a minute of extra-time left. Made quite an impression too.

Bord na Mona man

In most cases, once you start going to neutral venues you drop the drop the attendance by a decent factor.
Croke Park as a neutral venue does attract a better walk-in crowd though. You hoover up a few of the Dublin exiles from the county in question.

Sidney

36k looked an accurate measurement of the attendance to me.