Twistin, turnin, windin roads - Galway v Mayo 14/6/15

Started by Farrandeelin, May 17, 2015, 08:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

I suppose the giddiness is beginning to kick in (with me anyway). Galway probably have more to prove than Mayo. I didn't see any, highlights or anything of Galway's win v Leitrim. If they were working on a defensive setup there, they will have 5 weeks of trying to perfect it against Mayo. Lets face it, Mayo haven't fared well against overly defensive teams this year. I can only hope that the ten week break has sorted this problem our for Mayo. If it hasn't, or if Mayo play a small bit like their league displays, then Galway will win.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

muppet

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 09, 2015, 11:27:31 PM
I suppose the giddiness is beginning to kick in (with me anyway). Galway probably have more to prove than Mayo. I didn't see any, highlights or anything of Galway's win v Leitrim. If they were working on a defensive setup there, they will have 5 weeks of trying to perfect it against Mayo. Lets face it, Mayo haven't fared well against overly defensive teams this year. I can only hope that the ten week break has sorted this problem our for Mayo. If it hasn't, or if Mayo play a small bit like their league displays, then Galway will win.

Phew.

Farr is going for Galway.

Mayo win it is then.  :D
MWWSI 2017

moysider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 09, 2015, 09:17:07 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on June 09, 2015, 09:21:03 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 06, 2015, 02:20:16 PM
If JH was still in charge, neither the heron chokers nor the sheepophiles would bother me very much, this year anyway.

What exactly does this term mean? Never have got a explanation. There was a gang of us sitting in a pub one year when a Mayo man shouted it over at us, so we asked him what it meant. He started some really long winded muttering about fish or something. Half way through his story he became so embarrassed that he just upped and ran straight out of the building

I think ive heard the following countless time at our games. Mayo may shouts in something about Heron chokers. Galway man says, "better that than All ireland choker's". Crowd around them laugh. Mayo man gets awkward. Rinse and repeat every year...
According to an old woman who lived in the Claddagh area in Galway the name originates from the habit Claddagh people had of using herons to catch fish. Those birds tend to spear a fish and then toss it in the air in order to line it up to let it slide down their gullets.
Claddagh fishermen used to take captured herons and put a ring or some other form of constriction around their throats so they would be unable to swallow a fish they caught. So they were left with the fish stuck in their throats until  the person using them would retrieve it. The ring around the throat plus the fact that the poor heron would quickly choke to death if the fish was taken out of its mouth gave rise to the term, "Heron Chokers."
I have heard other explanations for the term but this one seems the most likely to me, especially as it was a Claddagh native who told me.

Wow! That s brilliant. And young Herons are very easily hand raised and tamed, as I found out last year, if ye get them before they fledge.

I ve seen Chinese fishermen use trained cormorants to do this. They tie string around  the throat to stop them swallowing any fish worth keeping. I m sure herons could do the same but there is a difference. Cormorants can dive and snag and hold bigger fish while the heron stands still and ambushes tiddlers in the shallows. Doesn t like to get wet. Might explain why the Heron Choker is a starved bollicks ;D

sans pessimism

The team I think will start
                              Hen
              Turbo     Caff     Zippy
              Leroy     Keano  Boyler
                      Bird     Seamie
              Mac       DOC     Doc
              Cil         Aido     Andy     
.....now,lets get at them bucks!
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

muppet

Quote from: sans pessimism on June 10, 2015, 12:11:11 AM
                              Hen
              Turbo     Caff     Zippy
              Leroy     Keano  Boyler
                      Bird     Seamie
              Mac       DOC     Doc

I'd be surprised to see Keane at 6. If he does I'd expect to see Donie at 11 or 12 with Andy or DOC losing out.
MWWSI 2017

Bod Mor

Hen
              Turbo     Caff     Zippy
              Leroy     Keano  Boyler
                      Bird     Seamie
              Mac       DOC     Doc

Who are we, Dublin  ::)
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

macdanger2

Quote from: Bod Mor on June 10, 2015, 09:03:12 AM
                              Hen
              Turbo     Caff     Zippy
              Leroy     Keano  Boyler
                      Bird     Seamie
              Mac       DOC     Doc

I don't we can afford to be Dublin  ;D

Mayo4Sam14

Is it too harsh to say with a better number 3 Mayo could have won the last 3 all Irelands?
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

ballinaman

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on June 10, 2015, 09:39:13 AM
Is it too harsh to say with a better number 3 Mayo could have won the last 3 all Irelands?
Yes.
shoulda woulda coulda..didn't.

Farr fancies Galway so the stars a aligning nicely.

Also, don't know what Sligo are chirping about Limerick for? Be well off looking at the state of Gaelic football in Sligo than even watching games on TV at this stage, absolute mess down there.

rosnarun

Hen
              Turbo     Caff     Zippy
              Leroy     Keano  Boyler
                      Bird     Seamie
              Mac       DOC     Doc

err Turbo = cunniffe?

unless he is injuried id be amazed Donal Vaughan( dvan, vaugie, what ever) is not playing . he seems to be an exlempary player and managers love him
also holmes and yoyo  seem to prefer keane to cafferkey, and i would presume barrett will start if he is fit
so that would leave
hennely
barrett keane higgins
Leek boyle    durcan
    S ose t parsons
McLoughlin A O se  d oconnor
a dillon Kirby M ronaldson
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

An Fhairche Abu

Hard to see anything bar a Mayo victory, would be a big shock if Galway were to win.
At the least I'm hoping to see Galway lace into Mayo anyway, very tame performance last year in Castlebar with Mayo wining in 2nd gear, we've been pushed around far too much by Mayo since 2011 with incidents like Higgins cowardly taking Hehir out off the ball and Dillion leaving Duane on his arse going by without any retribution, we mightn't be as good as Mayo but we should let them know they are in a contest at least.
The loss by 17 in 2013 was a total disgrace, a win is highly unlikely but Galway need some measure of atonement on Sunday.

macdanger2

If Barrett is fully fit, there's a case for playing either himself or Cunniffe at 6 or Higgins in the HF line with him dropping back as the extra man.

sans pessimism

Quote from: rosnarun on June 10, 2015, 10:14:24 AM
                              Hen
              Turbo     Caff     Zippy
              Leroy     Keano  Boyler
                      Bird     Seamie
              Mac       DOC     Doc

err Turbo = cunniffe?

unless he is injuried id be amazed Donal Vaughan( dvan, vaugie, what ever) is not playing . he seems to be an exlempary player and managers love him
also holmes and yoyo  seem to prefer keane to cafferkey, and i would presume barrett will start if he is fit
so that would leave
hennely
barrett keane higgins
Leek boyle    durcan
    S ose t parsons
McLoughlin A O se  d oconnor
a dillon Kirby M ronaldson
Donald J Vaughan the 3rd Esq (is that complete enough for y)played on the B team  in the A v B game last Sunday....just sayn
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

From the Bunker

Heard the team looks like

Clarke
Cunniffe/Keane/Higgins
Barrett/Boyle/Lee
Parsons/Seamie
Diarmuid/AOS/DOC
(can't remember)/Cillian/Dillon

This was supposed to be the A v B team in training!