Donegal v Tyrone Sun 17 May

Started by tyroneman, April 18, 2015, 07:57:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Footie_mad

Quote from: giveballaghback on May 19, 2015, 01:57:22 PM
This a noedie thing and the blame lies fairly at yere door for the current state of our game. On all teams over the decades there have been dirty players and mouthpieces, when it was one or two on a team refs could deal with it, but now is has become a culture, it is undoubtedly being encouraged and coached by team management among the northern counties, that is plain to see from the actions on the field.
There were 4 other championship matches last weekend, has there been one  issue from any of the other games, these were all matches with intense rivalry, Longford-Offaly is a long running saga but they showed respect for one another played football to the best of their ability and won or took their defeat in a manly manner, maybe the nordies could follow suit or are their games bigger and more important so thuggery etc is justified. Your actions on the field reflect your society, yes I said at the outset that every county has their hard men or mouthpieces but in most counties it is the exception rather than the rule, but when your county encourages thuggery and makes excuses after well.......

Please explain.... thuggery?? Where did you see thuggery on display on Sunday.

And here we go again all the Northern Teams! Is this true? Please name the teams you speak of.

A man from Down

Yep the noedies are a right shower. Is it the Noedies from Mullingar we are talking about here?

A man from Down

Quote from: Footie_mad on May 19, 2015, 01:56:56 PM
Quote from: A man from Down on May 19, 2015, 01:48:30 PM
Jimmy McGuinness writing today and Rory Gallagher crying about the treatment of Michael Murphy yesterday is a wee bit cringeworthy. It was clear to see the Donegal players at it on Sunday as well. I'm sure Gallagher is deflecting the negative attention away from their own players and maybe sowing a seed in referees heads for the games ahead this summer.

The bottom line is that managers actually need to admit that their own players are guilty of it too and actually try and deal with their own offenders rather than lighting the sympathy fires.  At least Sean Cavanagh came out and said that he as well as Michael Murphy were getting the treatment.

There's no place for sledging in our games but its hard to find a solution to it. Microphones at county level might work but not at club.

Can you imagine if microphones were introduced.... think about it.... being tackled etc, where would the microphone be??? Time outs to try and refix them etc. Disaster.

Microphones are so small now you could sew them into the collar or the likes.

Be easy enough you could get your girlfriend/wife to do it, I hear shes an auld.......

Footie_mad

Quote from: A man from Down on May 19, 2015, 02:05:54 PM
Quote from: Footie_mad on May 19, 2015, 01:56:56 PM
Quote from: A man from Down on May 19, 2015, 01:48:30 PM
Jimmy McGuinness writing today and Rory Gallagher crying about the treatment of Michael Murphy yesterday is a wee bit cringeworthy. It was clear to see the Donegal players at it on Sunday as well. I'm sure Gallagher is deflecting the negative attention away from their own players and maybe sowing a seed in referees heads for the games ahead this summer.

The bottom line is that managers actually need to admit that their own players are guilty of it too and actually try and deal with their own offenders rather than lighting the sympathy fires.  At least Sean Cavanagh came out and said that he as well as Michael Murphy were getting the treatment.

There's no place for sledging in our games but its hard to find a solution to it. Microphones at county level might work but not at club.

Can you imagine if microphones were introduced.... think about it.... being tackled etc, where would the microphone be??? Time outs to try and refix them etc. Disaster.

Microphones are so small now you could sew them into the collar or the likes.

Be easy enough you could get your girlfriend/wife to do it, I hear shes an auld.......

Oh you Northerners are always at it!!!

charlieTully

This a noedie thing and the blame lies fairly at yere door for the current state of our game. On all teams over the decades there have been dirty players and mouthpieces, when it was one or two on a team refs could deal with it, but now is has become a culture, it is undoubtedly being encouraged and coached by team management among the northern counties, that is plain to see from the actions on the field.
There were 4 other championship matches last weekend, has there been one  issue from any of the other games, these were all matches with intense rivalry, Longford-Offaly is a long running saga but they showed respect for one another played football to the best of their ability and won or took their defeat in a manly manner, maybe the nordies could follow suit or are their games bigger and more important so thuggery etc is justified. Your actions on the field reflect your society, yes I said at the outset that every county has their hard men or mouthpieces but in most counties it is the exception rather than the rule, but when your county encourages thuggery and makes excuses after well.......

explain what you mean by this please.?

tiempo

Nordies ruined the game by having the cheek to win a few Sams.
The 26 ruined the country by not having the balls to fight for the 6 and leaving their brothers up in Nordie-land to a blood-thirsty loyalist mob.
Those Sams really have stuck in your craw, you can't have them back, no balls hiding in plain sight (in keyboard-warrior-land) is what you are.

Brick Tamlin

How do you coach this, and what age do you start at etc?
Is it something to consider when selecting a team? Do you start your best slabber and sledger in favour of the quieter guy who just hasn't grasped the concept as well and his sledging hasn't been up to scratch in training recently?
I mean when planning a session, how does one go about integrating drills and activities for the players based around this?
Id love to know.

Jinxy

Quote from: Up The Middle on May 19, 2015, 12:02:57 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 19, 2015, 11:55:01 AM
Other than Dublin a few years back, I can't think of any southern teams that engage in blatant sledging.
It's more of an Ulster thing

Kieran Donaghy is as bad as anyone for it. Roaring into a mans face after he scores. I agree that it seems to happen more often in Ulster (but that could be down to the fact that there is more made of it by certain pundits when it happens in Ulster), that is by no means condoning it, it really shouldnt happen anywhere.

He just goes around roaring, "Wat d'yoo tink a dat!" though.
Harmless.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

longballin

is that Billy Sheehan boy still playing?.. total mouth..

BluestackBoy

Quote from: A man from Down on May 19, 2015, 02:03:12 PM
Yep the noedies are a right shower. Is it the Noedies from Mullingar we are talking about here?

I don't think so, they're grand.  I think the Noedies from Tulsk started it.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

Keyser soze

Other than Dublin a few years back, I can't think of any southern teams that engage in blatant sledging.
It's more of an Ulster thing.

Well Meath were at it in the 90's, calling people orange bastids and the like, so there's one for you.

trileacman

Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

ose 14

for anybody on here telling us that sledging is a northern trait only then think again. i was happily called a black northern c..t during a match 20 years ago and once the said munster player was given a short brief history lesson not to mention a jab to the left eye he retracted all references to my colur religion and heritage. its a black card offence excuse the pun or maybe they should rename it an ulster offence. as regards ricey and gooch both of them should have been glad to have verbals regarding a girlfriends no. 

imtommygunn

Quote from: Keyser soze on May 19, 2015, 03:18:59 PM
It's more of an Ulster thing.

Well Meath were at it in the 90's, calling people orange bastids and the like, so there's one for you.

O'Gara from Dublin seems pretty bad too... Not sure on O'Carroll but wouldn't be surprised if he's at it to. The rest don't seem to engage.

Whishtup

Quote from: Jinxy on May 19, 2015, 12:39:21 AM
Never saw Spillane's analysis of the '96 row before.
Classic stuff.
Jesus, could you imagine the national meltdown if it happened today.
Colm Coyle, the silent assassin, dropping lads in the background.  ;D

Gotta love Spillane's commentary-tinged with excitement and comedy.