2015 Laois Senior Hurling

Started by redsetanta, February 13, 2015, 12:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGreatGame

Goes without saying that this is a massive game for both counties.  For Laois the overall aim is to stay producing competitive underage teams with a longer term view of putting out a senior team capable of going toe to toe with the best.  Short term, this is probably last chance saloon for a number of the older guys that have given great service to Laois through some dark times.  If they don't get a win on Sunday they are likely to retire having never tasted a big championship win.  For Offaly it's one of those horrible situations where they are expected to win, won't get much praise if they do win, but will be hammered if they lose.  Plenty of pressure on both sides then.

I think Laois are capable of getting a win on Sunday, but I think the management are going to have to take some gambles and those gambles will have to pay off.  The one clear area where Offaly are well ahead of us is their scoring potential in their full forward line.  Ross King is a massive loss here, and both Ben Conroy and PJ Scully haven't done enough for me to get a start.  They are young and neither are bad options off the bench when legs tire but they are not ready to start yet.  One of Zane, Hyland or Cha will be needed inside to go with (probably) Tommy Fitz and Picky.  Foyle can't be near 100% fit and if he only has 20 minutes in him I'd prefer to spring him from the bench.

The next punt the management will have to make is who lines out at centre back.  If not Matthew then Jimmy Walsh seems the only real alternative.  For me 10 years of dedication outweighs one blip (and if they are 100% honest, how many of our hurlers haven't faltered once in their careers with Laois?) so Matthew would get the nod.  If the players can't pull together now and ignore the drama of last week for the greater good then we have no business taking to the field against Offaly.

That would leave us with something like:

1.Enda Rowland/Eoin Reilly.
2.Brian Stapleton.
3.Cahir Healy.
4.John A.
5.Joe Fitz.
6.Matthew Whelan.
7.Tom Delaney.
8.James Walsh.
9.Paddy Purcell.
10.Joe Campion.
11.Zane Keenan.
12.Cha Dwyer.
13.Tommy Fitz.
14.Willie Hyland.
15.Picky Maher.

Tom Delaney brings the same kinda physicality and drive that Campion provided at wing back but with more experience, while Campion has the fitness and work rate I think we'll need on the half forward line.  I'd start Walsh and Fitz for two reasons, firstly I think they have earned this chance and secondly, sentiment aside, I don't think they will let us down in this of all games.

Plenty of big calls to be made then and while all signs seem to be pointing to an Offaly win,  I think we have a fair chance if we finally produce a performance.

the ratman

Obviously he has given great service to the county but he did the county a great diservice in the last week or so. The lads like jimmy Walsh have also given great service and deserve the start for biding their time.

Don Draper

Quote from: the ratman on June 04, 2015, 07:01:51 PM
Obviously he has given great service to the county but he did the county a great diservice in the last week or so. The lads like jimmy Walsh have also given great service and deserve the start for biding their time.
Cheddar and the panel have welcomed Matthew back, he starts. Simple as. Why else have him there. Best man for the job gets the job. grind the axe elsewhere.

the ratman

Beyond the controversy I think laois have a great chance this weekend especially if they can limit the goals. I'd say it will be a low scoring game with both teams nervous and concentrating on defence more than attack. Can't see iy being a great spectacle but will be great if they can pull it off.

merman

God, I'm really looking forward to this one.
Does anyone know if the terrace will be open?

Offaly know this is huge. Make no mistake. I'm not for a second going to say they are scared; but they're wary. We have chipped away at them with under-age successes but we need to deliver a telling blow at senior level. Even that U21 loss a couple of years ago was a real shot to our momentum. To my mind, we were the better team that evening from the 15th to the 60th minute but being 2/3 points the better team wasn't enough; Offaly had the nous to win a close match that was there for the taking.
I fear the same will be true on Sunday. If this game is in the melting pot with 5 to go then I worry for us. Offaly simply can't lose because that breaks the spell. The die has been cast for decades now; Offaly have had our number but change is on the horizon and don't think Offaly can't see it...but they can stop it!
A win for Offaly buys them time; it knocks us back down a level and gives them an extra year or two to redress their juvenile inadequacies. A win for Offaly will only paper over some of the cracks but that would be enough. A win for us and we knock down their front door and can hope to make a legitimate step forward.
I know our sum-ambition can't be 'to just beat Offaly' but I believe it has been a mental noose around our neck for long enough and if we don't rip it off now; I fear it will tighten in the immediate future.

To my mind, both teams enter this game with real question marks hanging over them and real pressure weighing them down. This could suffocate any notion of open, attacking hurling and this could be an extremely physical battle; in fact, I'd be surprised if it was anything but.

Joe Bergin will likely go straight in on Cahir. They will look to go long and direct and if they smell weakness after our indifferent preparation then they'll go for goals in a serious way! The likes of Dooley, Quirke and Carroll won't pass up too many opportunities and our full-back line will need to be rock solid. I'd presume we'll see John A and Butch in there; I'd detail Delaney to follow Dooley everywhere.

Unfortunately, I don't think we carry anywhere near the same goal threat. Bar individual moments of brilliance; we just don't create goal-chances and I don't think 15/16 points will be enough on Sunday. Offaly have concerns about their full-back line and if Neil Foyle was anywhere near 100% I'd lash him in from the start alongside Picky. If Foyle is out I'd go with Keenan at 14.

As for Matthew Whelan, I'm torn. He was beginning to come back to form during the Westmeath game and he's the kind of man you'd want beside you in a battle. I probably would start him but that owes as much to our lack of obvious alternatives as anything else. Either side of him, we still haven't seen Joe Fitzpatrick light up a game in the way he's so obviously capable...yet. Again, I would start Tom Delaney but I think he's completely out of favour so Joe Campion will get the nod.
Paddy Purcell will start and I don't think enough was made of the quiet efficiency that Dwayne Palmer brought the last day. He was tidy in possession and made a couple of crucial blocks in the first half that helped keep Westmeath in range. I'd start him again although I would consider using him back as our sweeper.

Cha and Hyland will undoubtedly start and we'll need big games from both. Cha is, to my mind at least, the heir apparent to Hyland as our go-to man in the forwards. Hyland gets a lot of stick but he's still our number 1 puck-out option and nearly always contributes with 3/4 points; be they from play or from drawing frees. I would expect Offaly to drop very deep on our puck-outs so we're going to need to be clever as primary possession could be at a premium. I'd expect Tommy to just about hold his place and I'd like to see him at 11 and getting on breaks.

All in all, I'm really on the fence on this one. I don't believe there is much between the teams and I suspect we may have the edge with games under our belt and a more cohesive style of play, even if that style can falter at times.
Home advantage has to count for something and I'll be apoplectic if we don't carry a bigger crowd than Offaly. Unfortunately, that is in itself somewhat unlikely...

Score prediction:
1.17-2.15

I'm just not sure to whom...

Mossy Bruce

Great posting, as always, Merman.  :)
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Unlaoised

Just the abbeyleix Terrace is closed the rest is as normal...

I hope we can win it but I fear Offaly's full forward line and goals .... >:( >:( :'(
LAOIS ABÚ

redsetanta

1. Enda Rowland (St Lazerian's Abbeyleix)
2. John A Delaney (Clough Ballacolla)
3. Cahir Healy (Portlaoise)
4. Brian Stapleton (Borris-in-Ossory-Kilcotton)
5. Joe Fitzpatrick (Rathdowney Errill)
6. Matthew Whelan (Borris-in-Ossory-Kilcotton)
7. Conor Dunne (The Harps)
8. Joe Campion (Borris-in-Ossory-Kilcotton)
9. Patrick Purcell (Rathdowney Errill)
10. Willie Hyland (Clough Ballacolla)
11. Zane Keenan (Camross)
12. Charles Dwyer (Ballinakill)
13. Ben Conroy (Slieve Bloom)
14. Tommy Fitzgerald (Portlaoise)
15. PJ Scully (Borris-in-Ossory-Kilcotton)

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

redsetanta

Surprised that both Conroy and PJ are starting.

Also thought Palmer would have been in the reckoning after Westmeath game. Those sending off's are crippling Delaney and I thought he would also be close to start for this game. Maybe management feel they cannot trust him to stay the course.

Will this team start? I doubt it somehow as there has to be some gamesmanship. It's early enough for the Laois team to be named.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

merman

I would expect changes.
I'd be amazed if Picky hasn't done enough to earn a start.

Jimmy P

There will definitely be changes.

Could not see that full forward line starting in any capacity. Scully and Conroy were poor in the U21 against Carlow and Tommy has been poor all year.

You would expect Picky or Foyle to be in there and Tommy to do a large amount of cover work which he shows a great appetite for in fairness to him.

Moral victory will not suffice Sunday after the last two years near misses. A win is required. At any cost.

Don Draper

Tommy is a man for the big day, and has turned up consistently at this stage in the past 2 years. I too don't see that team starting, Picky will be in for sure, and one other surprise.

G@@

From http://www.uibhfhaili.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6882&sid=bf3d2cb75118e490556a57b95ad70296&start=45#p49928

QuoteWell lads,

Not one for writing on forums but I can't see the panic, I have full confidence for the match Sunday and think we'll win by 7 to 10 points, hope I'm not way off on this but I think Carroll and dooley will tear them apart as long as we provide the right ball, our full back line is weak but still think we have too much for laois, let's keep them down and get over and support the faithful on Sunday.

Print and pin it to the dressing room wall.  >:(
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

Don Draper

Quote from: G@@ on June 05, 2015, 01:19:01 PM
From http://www.uibhfhaili.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6882&sid=bf3d2cb75118e490556a57b95ad70296&start=45#p49928

QuoteWell lads,

Not one for writing on forums but I can't see the panic, I have full confidence for the match Sunday and think we'll win by 7 to 10 points, hope I'm not way off on this but I think Carroll and dooley will tear them apart as long as we provide the right ball, our full back line is weak but still think we have too much for laois, let's keep them down and get over and support the faithful on Sunday.

That's their fear. Fear is a motherfucker. The man who fears losing has already lost.

Drive on.

laoislad

Quote from: Don Draper on June 05, 2015, 01:26:07 PM
Quote from: G@@ on June 05, 2015, 01:19:01 PM

QuoteWell lads,

That's their fear. Fear is a motherfucker. The man who fears losing has already lost.

Drive on.
The man who fears losing has already lost.
Love it  :D

Honestly if someone had a gun to my head and was to offer me a choice of the footballers or hurlers winning this weekend I would have to pick the hurlers.
Obviously though I want both to win....
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.