Benny Retires

Started by Any craic, November 24, 2014, 04:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Brilliant player. Plucked balls from the heavens.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

T O Hare

We are very lucky in Mayobridge to have him. Thirds and u21 manager along with u14 coach. Also chairman of our strictly committee which is taking place in February. A great role model for our club, county and our organisation.
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

omaghjoe

Benny really was a great footballer.

Fast, strong, magnificent fielder and a real killer instinct. He also had the heart of a lion and he could really lift Down when he got going. Lit up some great championship games against Tyrone when we were at our prime and while some teams meekly stood aside against Tyrone back then Benny and subsequently Down reveled in the challenge.

Top chap and attitude to boot, a real example to younger players.

ApresMatch

Favourite performance from Benny was against Ardara for Mayobridge in Ulster club replay in Newry one day. Did everything that day but he caught a ball while practically standing on a poor lads shoulders (who was subsequently flattened). Gasps in the stand at it. The keeper saved his shot afterwards but it would have been the best goal I'd ever seen.

ardtole

I remember that game apresmatch, it was a fantastic performance, I think Damien Diver was marking Benny as well that day, and he was no bad player. Even when Down were struggling, going to any game you would still have a feeling inside that Benny could grab a couple of goals and see us home.
It must have been unreal for Mayobridge supporters to have Mickey Linden and then Benny  Coulter playing week in week out for them, they have been spoilt with two of the best forwards in Ireland, some of the performances in club games over them years must have been very memorable. Thanks Benny.

charlieTully

The undisputed king of Down football for the past 14 years. will be sorely missed.

brokencrossbar1

A fine player and very much a natural footballer,  he had all the physical attributes and in someways was a throw back to how football should be played.  He is the on player from Down over the last 15 years who you would say would walk onto any team in Ireland with his consistent level of play. 

DennistheMenace

Super player, and a gentleman to boot.

orangeman

I seen Benny go into what seemed like an orbit many days and go so high that you feared the worst when landing, such was the height he was up - he was in the clouds as they say. The leap he had was a joy to behold. But it didn't end there. He had it all and he'll be a huge miss to Down and to the game in general.

It's hard to hold back time and the training regime en vogue now means that careers are short.

Has anyone any good pictures of Benny coming down from the clouds ? Those catches were worth the admission fee alone.

yellowcard

Brilliant player at his best though I think injuries have blunted him in recent years and he has probably made the right decision in quitting. As a young player he was brilliant to watch, very explosive, great high fielder and his first thought always appeared to be how he could score a goal no matter where he won the ball.

tonto1888

Best of luvk to him. Fantastic player

rory

Quote from: T O Hare on November 25, 2014, 02:28:26 AM
We are very lucky in Mayobridge to have him. Thirds and u21 manager along with u14 coach. Also chairman of our strictly committee which is taking place in February. A great role model for our club, county and our organisation.

That leaves you as the only legend still playing for the 'Bridge......

5 Sams

Quote from: orangeman on November 25, 2014, 09:48:17 AM
I seen Benny go into what seemed like an orbit many days and go so high that you feared the worst when landing, such was the height he was up - he was in the clouds as they say. The leap he had was a joy to behold. But it didn't end there. He had it all and he'll be a huge miss to Down and to the game in general.

It's hard to hold back time and the training regime en vogue now means that careers are short.

Has anyone any good pictures of Benny coming down from the clouds ? Those catches were worth the admission fee alone.

Check this out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg9AoIFET4E
The Aristocrat Years

5 Sams

Quote from: ApresMatch on November 25, 2014, 05:21:13 AM
Favourite performance from Benny was against Ardara for Mayobridge in Ulster club replay in Newry one day. Did everything that day but he caught a ball while practically standing on a poor lads shoulders (who was subsequently flattened). Gasps in the stand at it. The keeper saved his shot afterwards but it would have been the best goal I'd ever seen.

I remember that game vividly. Cliona Foley was writing about it in the Indo the next day and said exactly what you said....audible gasps of amazement from the crowd!!!
The Aristocrat Years

imtommygunn

With many great forwards when they got the ball there was expectations there'd be a point when they got the ball. With Coulter you always thought there could be something big happen every time he got the ball. Always kept you on the edge of your seat.