Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truth hurts

Quote from: thewobbler on February 27, 2022, 11:56:04 PM
Quote from: Ed Hardy on February 27, 2022, 10:18:45 PM
I don't blame anyone, I think Down are a div3 team. Haven't been producing enough quality players for long time, and I think a year or 2 in Div3 wouldn't be the end of world and might benefit the younger players.

I mostly agree with you Ed. 23 years since Down has won an Ulster Minor. The gene pool would suggest this is not possible, but it has happened.

But I'm still finding myself staring into space watching this management team not even trying to change up what happened under Tally. The problems are eerily the same; obliterated at midfield, unwilling to attack with conviction or in numbers, and keeping players around for the value of experience, who just aren't up to it.

The odd thing is that for 35 mins just two years ago, Down developed an identity for one half vs Cavan that suits our current players; run hard, run fast, pass quick.  It's possibly the hardest football style to coach, because it's off the cuff.

So maybe stop over coaching? Just play to our strengths. We've a seriously quick middle 8 ready to roll. Let them roll.

Who are your middle 8?

Truth hurts

Fair play to Dundrum, Bryasford, Castlewellan, Drumaness, Liatriom, Ballygalget, Ballcran, and St Pauls for participating in the East Down Scor final at the weekend. But out of the 24 East Down club I think it is a sad state of affairs when only 8 clubs can get something sorted for Scor. Big clubs with massive memberships treat Scor with disdain. It is time for fines towards clubs who do not enter Scor

Clubs need to remember that

The Association shall actively support the Irish
language, traditional Irish dancing, music, song,
and other aspects of Irish culture. It shall foster
an awareness and love of the national ideals in
the people of Ireland, and assist in promoting a
community spirit through its clubs.

Godsown

And where, in al that mumbo jumbo you have just listed, does it say that the only way to promote language and other aspects of traditional Irish Culture, is by involvement in Scor?

Truth hurts

Quote from: Godsown on February 28, 2022, 02:03:37 PM
And where, in al that mumbo jumbo you have just listed, does it say that the only way to promote language and other aspects of traditional Irish Culture, is by involvement in Scor?

Where did I say it was the only way?
I believe that clubs should be sanctioned for not participating in the competition. Bredagh and Carryduff are the 2 biggest clubs in the county and they cannot get a Scor competitor. Give me a break.

Godsown

Maybe they see Scor for the outdated nonsense that it is. Perhaps GAA should try and bring the competition into 21st century or maybe just turn off the life support. I think the weekend shows us we have bigger problems in Down

Truth hurts

Quote from: Godsown on February 28, 2022, 02:27:59 PM
Maybe they see Scor for the outdated nonsense that it is. Perhaps GAA should try and bring the competition into 21st century or maybe just turn off the life support. I think the weekend shows us we have bigger problems in Down

The gaa is a bigger organization than just football you know, Clubs in the county need to realize this as we move forward.

Godsown

It is indeed time to move forward not back to 19th century and shows of Gombeenism and nepotism. Now hurry on for the school bus and we can pick up again in the morning .

SamFever

Quote from: Truth hurts on February 28, 2022, 02:58:51 PM

The gaa is a bigger organization than just football you know, Clubs in the county need to realize this as we move forward.
Yes and there is also Hurling plus our sister organisations Camogie and Ladies Football.Young ones join up to play games not to participate
in Elocution or Speak/Drama type activities.This singing of our National anthem before National League fixtures is from a time long since defunct.
Fine for Championship maybe but in freezing depths of winter it's a complete nonsense.

Truth hurts

Quote from: SamFever on February 28, 2022, 03:29:09 PM

Yes and there is also Hurling plus our sister organisations Camogie and Ladies Football.Young ones join up to play games not to participate
in Elocution or Speak/Drama type activities.This singing of our National anthem before National League fixtures is from a time long since defunct.
Fine for Championship maybe but in freezing depths of winter it's a complete nonsense.

Thats not true and many young people love the Scor , I am happy that there are a few true GAA clubs in the county who push this and keep it going.

SamFever

Quote from: Truth hurts on February 28, 2022, 03:33:18 PM

Thats not true and mnay young people love the Scor , I am happy that there are a few true GAA clubs in the county who push this and keep it going.
Each to their own and I do really hope you enjoy it each year but stop ramming the Scor thing down everyone throats on an annual basis.Does your own child/children or even yourself participate?

Truth hurts

Quote from: SamFever on February 28, 2022, 04:11:20 PM

Yes they do, I am not ramming it, i just believe that we are in danger of losing our culture.

Thats not true and mnay young people love the Scor , I am happy that there are a few true GAA clubs in the county who push this and keep it going.
Each to their own and I do really hope you enjoy it each year but stop ramming the Scor thing down everyone throats on an annual basis.Does your own child/children or even yourself participate?

SamFever

Quote from: Truth hurts on February 28, 2022, 04:20:21 PM

Yes they do, I am not ramming it, i just believe that we are in danger of losing our culture.

Blank reply?

Johnnysboys

Scor is a pile of outdated crap. Friends of mine forced their children to participate for years due to their beliefs in it - when the children turned 16 Scor was long gone. No one only old knee tapping people are interested in it in 2022. Fine the clubs - give me a break. They would gladly pay it to get rid of it from the calendar..

Square Ball

Thats not true and many young people love the Scor , I am happy that there are a few true GAA clubs in the county who push this and keep it going.
So, what defines a true GAA club?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Hard2Listen2

Quote from: SamFever on February 28, 2022, 04:51:03 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on February 28, 2022, 04:20:21 PM

Blank reply?

Most sensible post I've seen from our learned & well connected friend.
🤡