All Ireland Quarter Final Ard Mhacha v Dún na nGall

Started by THE MIGHTY QUINN, August 02, 2014, 10:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Armaghtothebone on August 04, 2014, 09:12:32 PM
Quote from: SouthDublinBro on August 04, 2014, 09:04:20 PM
Where is Hearty's all star medal, friend? Surely he should have at least one when Armagh won the AI? Or could it be that he was completely unremarkable that year and throughout his championship career?

I love it when someone comes in and spouts about something they know nothing about.
Hearty didn't play in 2002.
At a rough guess he has
1 senior all Ireland ( panelist 2002)
4 Ulster senior championship
1 national league
10 Armagh senior championship
5 ulster club championship
3 all Ireland club championship

Broken crossbar could likely give the exact medal haul, but I think its fair to say he has a bucket load of medals.

Whatever about his county medals in terms of club medals you're a fair bit off. 

It's actually

17 Armagh senior championship
10 ulster club championship
6 all Ireland club championship

and he is still playing so is likely to add to that this year.  In fact, I watched him a few weeks ago in a club match and he gave the sort of performance in terms if handling and kick outs that would be ideal for Armagh at the minute but alas he is happy enough with his county lot

Armaghgeddon

Whoa, over 50 winners medals. No doubt he has more at underage to. Is he still in competition with Oisin?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on August 04, 2014, 11:26:30 PM
Whoa, over 50 winners medals. No doubt he has more at underage to. Is he still in competition with Oisin?

At club level he is ahead of him.  I would imagine he will keep going till he has 20 county medals so he will have 2 more seasons after this.

armaghniac

Hearty's record will stand a while before being broken, I reckon. He could easily end up with a dozen Ulster club medals.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyCake

Quote from: hardstation on August 04, 2014, 10:15:11 PM
I meant the latter obviously. Which years?

He had a very good year in 2003, only conceded one goal in 8 games. He also had great years in 04, 05 and 06.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

yellowcard

McKeever out for the season is a big blow especially in a game against Donegal which is likely to be a war of attrition. Slightly fearful of this one now, we need to get e few points up early to prevent Donegal from sucking us in and controlling the game. There will be a big onus on McAvoy to secure possession from kick outs since Donegal will give you the opportunity to hit short ones due to them retreating into defence.

We need to attack down the flanks since running up the middle against this Donegal side will see you running straight into traffic and either coughing up possession or being forced backwards and sidewards and eventually turned over. I think we are not without a slight chance but think that Donegal will eventually grind us down and force us to lose patience.

Armamike

Quote from: yellowcard on August 05, 2014, 12:22:22 PM
McKeever out for the season is a big blow especially in a game against Donegal which is likely to be a war of attrition. Slightly fearful of this one now, we need to get e few points up early to prevent Donegal from sucking us in and controlling the game. There will be a big onus on McAvoy to secure possession from kick outs since Donegal will give you the opportunity to hit short ones due to them retreating into defence.

We need to attack down the flanks since running up the middle against this Donegal side will see you running straight into traffic and either coughing up possession or being forced backwards and sidewards and eventually turned over. I think we are not without a slight chance but think that Donegal will eventually grind us down and force us to lose patience.

Seems to be the general consensus on the way it will pan out.  Donegal are better than Armagh at the moment, further down the line in terms of conditioning, experience, game plan, and throw a few all star footballers into that mix as well.  If Donegal do what they're capable of, they should see this one out with 4-5 to spare. Will be really interesting to see how much Armagh have learnt from the league game.  That day they continually ran into traffic and lost possession.  A good bit more width now and early kickpassing is needed to stretch Donegal and the signs from the championship to date are that Armagh have been developing this type of play quite nicely.  Will also be interesting to see if the management move Clarke further out the field for this one. He got bottled up in the Meath game and stayed close to goal for the most part.  Not sure there's much to be gained by leaving him in there with 2 or 3 Donegal players around him.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Armaghtothebone

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 04, 2014, 11:22:59 PM
Quote from: Armaghtothebone on August 04, 2014, 09:12:32 PM
Quote from: SouthDublinBro on August 04, 2014, 09:04:20 PM
Where is Hearty's all star medal, friend? Surely he should have at least one when Armagh won the AI? Or could it be that he was completely unremarkable that year and throughout his championship career?

I love it when someone comes in and spouts about something they know nothing about.
Hearty didn't play in 2002.
At a rough guess he has
1 senior all Ireland ( panelist 2002)
4 Ulster senior championship
1 national league
10 Armagh senior championship
5 ulster club championship
3 all Ireland club championship

Broken crossbar could likely give the exact medal haul, but I think its fair to say he has a bucket load of medals.

Whatever about his county medals in terms of club medals you're a fair bit off. 

It's actually

17 Armagh senior championship
10 ulster club championship
6 all Ireland club championship

and he is still playing so is likely to add to that this year.  In fact, I watched him a few weeks ago in a club match and he gave the sort of performance in terms if handling and kick outs that would be ideal for Armagh at the minute but alas he is happy enough with his county lot

Didn't realise he'd been around that long. I know one of the McConvilles was in goal for the first All Ireland as the keeper was injured. Never would have thought the keeper was Paul.
Still, some haul of medals for some boy to be making digs about him!!

Armamike

That's just, like your opinion man.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ONeill

McKeever out is a good thing for Armagh. Against weak sides and lily-liverers like this year's Tyrone he can bully sides into submission. Against a good side he's out of his depth and in such a central position he would leave Armagh ripped open.

Armagh can win this.

bennydorano

Quote from: Armamike on August 05, 2014, 12:53:28 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 05, 2014, 12:22:22 PM

Seems to be the general consensus on the way it will pan out.  Donegal are better than Armagh at the moment, further down the line in terms of conditioning, experience, game plan, and throw a few all star footballers into that mix as well.  If Donegal do what they're capable of, they should see this one out with 4-5 to spare. Will be really interesting to see how much Armagh have learnt from the league game.  That day they continually ran into traffic and lost possession.  A good bit more width now and early kickpassing is needed to stretch Donegal and the signs from the championship to date are that Armagh have been developing this type of play quite nicely.  Will also be interesting to see if the management move Clarke further out the field for this one. He got bottled up in the Meath game and stayed close to goal for the most part.  Not sure there's much to be gained by leaving him in there with 2 or 3 Donegal players around him.
I think Armagh will leave JC in around the house, hoping that he occupies 2 or 3 defenders leaving us with room and free players elsewhere, it's been working so far (maybe not by design tho). It'll be a tactical game of chess from the sidelines, which will undoubtedly translate into a turd of a game

ONeill

Is it absurd to say that Jamie hasn't delivered on the big stage for Armagh yet?

Prob yes. He hasn't really played on the big stage for his county yet. And how big is a big stage. Just a thought though. I know he's often double marked but so are all the best forwards. I'm waiting on him to cut loose and put himself in the running for POTY. I was tempted last week (think about 40-1 the odds) but he would need to obliterate Donegal and Dublin to do that.

J70

Apparently we've got McQuillan. Could be a lot worse!