Dessie Dolan

Started by All of a Sludden, June 30, 2014, 12:41:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

All of a Sludden

Today the greatest player ever to put on a Westmeath jersey announced his retirement from inter-county football. Dessie Dolan was a classy footballer who helped steer Westmeath to their only ever Leinster Football Title in the Summer of 2004. Thanks for the memories Dessie and best of luck with your retirement.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Wildweasel74

He was a good one alright. especially remember him against Derry in 2004, we thought if we could have hold him we could win, great 2 footed player who made any team when in his prime, had serious pace and like any great player once it went in his 30s an average player could Mark him, he came on against A Derry in the league this year, and has fairly quite, i  said if the same man had been marking Dessie of 10yrs before, he been roasted.

Best forward i seen for Westmeath , took over from Ger heavin, Glennon i though would have took up the mantle after him but it didn't really happen.

Syferus

Coming back after the year off was probably a mistake. He was still an absolute class act even in 2012, deep in the twilight of his career so the idea an average player could mark him is a bit false.

Suppose he felt he'd give the supporters one spell but a more selfish player might have realised the hunger maybe wasn't there anymore. One of the cutest forwards of all-time.

Thisonegoesto11

A great player in the game. Wish him well.

orangeman

Great player and making a good go of the commentary and punditry as well. A natural.

AZOffaly

Best of luck to Dessie. A fine player, and a nice lad. Bounced back very, very well after a few rocky moments (missing the last minute free v Meath) early on that would have destroyed lesser lads. Kept fighting the good fight all through, and stayed on, probably when his body was telling him to go, to try and bring on the younger lads. Unfortunately for Westmeath he was probably one of the best forwards when he thought he was in 'mentor' mode.

It's the likes of Dessie I was delighted for in 2004. At least he can always say he got that treasured provincial medal, unlike many other great players who never made the breakthrough (Dessie Barry, Kevin O'Brien, Declan Browne, etc).

Hardy

Best Westmeath player I've seen, by a distance. Sound too, with a great temperament. Seems to be making a good pundit. Best of luck to him.

Jinxy

He'll always have a special place in my heart.  :)
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Croí na hÉireann

No words to describe the influence Dessie had on westmeath football. Won the first u21 AI in 99 and was nominated for an all star and went on the tour to oz that year. Nominated for another all star in 01 when we reached our first quarter final. Missed a free in 03 after scoring 1-7 in a game. Drove us to the promised land in 04 and got his all star to boot. Reached the quarter finals in 06 and captained us to div 2 in 08. Won Leinster with the club in 11 and rose from his sick bed to drive them nearly to victory against the greatest club side ever in the final in 12. Was let down by the county board in recent years but still came back for more. There is now a benchmark for young lads in Westmeath to aspire to. Laochra Gael.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

rodney trotter

A few handy forwards on the Westmeath team to lead them on  with Dessie retired. Callum McCormack, Ger Egan and Kieran Martin all talented young forwards.

imtommygunn

What is the story with Dennis Glennon these days? He promised a lot but doesn't seem to have delivered yet.

Great career for Dessie and glad he got his leinster.

meathie

I would like to thank Dessie very very much for missing that free in 03, kept our little Meath hearts hopes alive for another while!!

Rossfan

Best wishes on retirement Dessie.
You were a good one.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

muppet

Great player.

It is very unfortunate that all of those old Gaa videos have been pulled from YouTube. I'm sure there were a few trademark Dessie Dolan scores there among them.
MWWSI 2017