Previous topic - Next topic

north down

Quote from: screenexile on June 22, 2014, 12:13:26 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on June 21, 2014, 11:25:08 PM
Quote from: rrhf on June 21, 2014, 11:13:14 PM
Quote from: Hoof Hearted on June 21, 2014, 11:02:45 PM
Quote from: rrhf on June 21, 2014, 10:57:23 PM
Quote from: screenexile on June 21, 2014, 06:39:00 PM
Fair play Longford I wasn't able to get over but I had a feeling we would struggle and they are a serious bogey team for us.

You have to wonder why we've had so many injuries from the Donegal game but look we had 15 lads there who were more than capable of getting a result and we didn't do it ... Where to now?
sort out yer own shit, stop bitching about Tyrone players, and remember the white feather ye showed when ye fielded an under 21 team in the league to put out Tyrone.   These things always come back on ye.  Well done Longford.

where did he mention Tyrone players - d**khead !
Wait until the Louth game is over before you come over here slabbering
Monaghan thread.

Maybe Screenexile can find a hilarious Despicable Me video to sum up the game?

None of Derry's players took a dive or conned the referee so it'd be hard to find one!

Ye lads are good craic but you'll not find me slagging the ref or the oppositions players. We weren't good enough plain and simple... If only you inbreds had been as gracious last week...
Screen, how would you know? I thought you weren't at the game.

screenexile

Quote from: north down on June 22, 2014, 12:27:00 AM
Quote from: screenexile on June 22, 2014, 12:13:26 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on June 21, 2014, 11:25:08 PM
Quote from: rrhf on June 21, 2014, 11:13:14 PM
Quote from: Hoof Hearted on June 21, 2014, 11:02:45 PM
Quote from: rrhf on June 21, 2014, 10:57:23 PM
Quote from: screenexile on June 21, 2014, 06:39:00 PM
Fair play Longford I wasn't able to get over but I had a feeling we would struggle and they are a serious bogey team for us.

You have to wonder why we've had so many injuries from the Donegal game but look we had 15 lads there who were more than capable of getting a result and we didn't do it ... Where to now?
sort out yer own shit, stop bitching about Tyrone players, and remember the white feather ye showed when ye fielded an under 21 team in the league to put out Tyrone.   These things always come back on ye.  Well done Longford.

where did he mention Tyrone players - d**khead !
Wait until the Louth game is over before you come over here slabbering
Monaghan thread.

Maybe Screenexile can find a hilarious Despicable Me video to sum up the game?

None of Derry's players took a dive or conned the referee so it'd be hard to find one!

Ye lads are good craic but you'll not find me slagging the ref or the oppositions players. We weren't good enough plain and simple... If only you inbreds had been as gracious last week...
Screen, how would you know? I thought you weren't at the game.

Well I've spoken to numerous people who were at the game and also this thread would be the first place something like that would be talked about so I'd be fairly certain I'm correct.

Apart from that one thing about our lads is they carry themselves well and even without seeing the game or speaking to anyone I'm sure we wouldn't be at that type of play!

Anyhoo I don't see what relevance the lads statements have to do with the Derry Longford match so I'll just stick to the thread topic from now on i reckon.

hairyUlsterman

Quote from: laoislad on June 21, 2014, 11:16:53 PM
A bad day for the two Londons.

Every county was created by the English, yours used to be called Queens County, I will only take comments like that seriously when the Irish republic gets rid of the county system. You make yourself look like a fool.

Shamrock Shore

Still on tour here in Norn Iron. Using Free Wifi in Giants Causeway centre. Little else being dpoken of here. Longfords win even got a mention by Barry of Horslips on stage!

My thoughts on game later when i get home!

DoireGael

Quote from: Syferus on June 21, 2014, 09:07:54 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on June 21, 2014, 09:04:55 PM
Quote from: DoireGael on June 21, 2014, 08:40:50 PM
Congrats to the Longford boys.

Tough one to take but I always expected this one to be tight. Your Longford man at 12 was superb, very impressed. Derry really lacked a ruthless edge, a Sean Cavanagh should have been performed after the Lynch goal. Longford had the shouting boots on and yet again Derry couldn't beat a blanket.

Congrats again.

You'll have to be more specific, do you mean a cynical dive or a cynical foul?

Maybe he meant a beastly run through the heart of a defence?

Let's face the fact. Derry levelled the game and Longford went up the other end of the field and the ball was walked into the net. That ball should have been stopped coming up the field and the pace of the game slowed, that may be cynical, but cynical/ruthless would have won the game, and whoever has sat in a county dressing room has heard it. That for me was the turning point.

seafoid

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 22, 2014, 11:19:11 AM
Still on tour here in Norn Iron. Using Free Wifi in Giants Causeway centre. Little else being dpoken of here. Longfords win even got a mention by Barry of Horslips on stage!

My thoughts on game later when i get home!
Good man yourself. A great day for wee Longford.
It would justify a marquee in Drumlish.

But what is going on with Derry ? 

red hander

EC Unique

Jeysus but Derry really have slipped down the ranks when it comes to summer football.

Wildweasel74

They are all too worried about club football, many a supporter prefer the county team out early to get their county players back playing club football, i think they played 2/3 league games since going out to Donegal and picked up alot of injuries, even with that, the team they had had good enough players to win, team positional selection, player attitude, and no gameplan, and not the best players playing for the county brought about this defeat. The minute i seen the team during the week the alarm bells were ringing.

Billys Boots

Quote from: seafoid on June 21, 2014, 10:58:16 PM
Surely Derry is a bigger scalp than Wexford.

Wexford are Longford's Longford, if you catch my drift.  :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Billys Boots

Quote from: The Insider on June 21, 2014, 10:42:11 PM
The biggest crime in the whole football All Stars debates has been the failure of Paul Barden to ever get 1 , has been a magnificent servent to Longford all the way up from U-14 and its galling to see less talented players than him with All Stars because they play 1 good game in September . Seamus Moynihan packed it in after been skinned by him in 06 and he was still one of the best defenders around then.

+100
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Shamrock Shore

Wow. What can I say. Rumours of our demise beforehand peddled by me were exaggerated.

First of all I must say Derry is a lovely city - last time I was there was pre GFA agreement and the place now has a mighty buzz about it. Did a bit of wall walking and picture taking as I had a bit of time before ambling down to the fantastic set up that is Celtic Park.

I did think, even to throw in, that all Derry had to do was show up. Perhaps Derry thought that too. They raced into a lead but Longford played a rather defensive game with only Kavanagh and the aforemention Barden (I agree that there are players with only half his skill out there with All Stars in their pockets) up front which seemed to work, although it's a rather alien concept to us.

In the second half Mickey Quinn came into his own and exploited the 45 acres of space in the Derry half and was able to cut through the Derry cover like a knife through butter. We thought at half time he was carrying an injury but I was assured by the Longford Co Sec that he was only warming up - like an auld wireless that needed the valves to heat up. His second half performance was majestice, as was Barderns and Francie McGee. Kavanagh has his critics (and God knows I am one of them) but he pulled off some excellent scores. Even our full back got a point as did the legendary Shane Mulligan.

In fairness to Derry (and to slam some earlier comments) there was no diving, no mick-acting. The two auld Derry lads in front of me made sure to let me know that it "was a reserve Derry team" and that "we'd bate ye with our full squad". What can you say....they may be right bu the scoreboard never quantifies that.

Brolly was quiet beside us.. I see on twitter he was disgusted and felt only for Lynch (his goal was top drawer and when it went in I almost calved) Derry would have been beat out the gate.

Longford only used the two subs they could bearing in mind the Leinster Junior final this Wed so Sheedy has a full compliment to chose from. It would have been easy to pull a few lads ashore cos I am sure the heat out there was animals so kudos to Sheedy et al.

In summary, a marvelous occasion, a marvelous win and I was privileged to have been there with the 100 or so other Longfordians.

Headed off then, via the coastal road, to Dunluce to see Horslips at Summer Solstice. The perfect end to a perfect day.

Jinxy

That's a nice little report SS.
The qualifiers are great fun when you're winning.
Can't beat a long, leisurely drive home after winning a game down/up the country.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: hairyUlsterman on June 22, 2014, 01:04:39 AM
Quote from: laoislad on June 21, 2014, 11:16:53 PM
A bad day for the two Londons.

Every county was created by the English, yours used to be called Queens County, I will only take comments like that seriously when the Irish republic gets rid of the county system. You make yourself look like a fool.

I'd say he was commenting in jest.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Fuzzman

Amazing story SS for us diving Tyronies as I went to school in Stroke City for 7 years and I have yet to taste victory there.

There really is something special about those sunny Sat evening matches where you go to a new place and sample what it has to offer and then win a match and have a great weekend.

A good weekend for the L counties bar London.
Hope Brolly wasn't too upset but sure he's a Dublin fan now anyway

See ya in the next round SS or can we not meet.
Wait we still have to get over the wee county. They shocked us before