Sligo v Galway June 21st markievicz park

Started by sligoman2, June 09, 2014, 11:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: muppet on June 19, 2014, 11:27:18 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 19, 2014, 11:23:28 PM
Joss Moore's unavailability is compounded by the dismissal of Duane from the panel, although having heard the reason for the disciplinary action Mulholland was left with no other option.

Shouldn't be much between the teams on Saturday evening, Sligo's much better recent record against Galway and the home advantage might see them home but you have to hope that maybe Galway will show a bit better than they have up until now.

We've seen this before, Galway favourites for the All-Ireland in my books.

You really know it's bad times for Galway when Mayo lads are taking the piss out of us about winning All Irelands.

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 20, 2014, 12:58:08 AM
The Galway bucks talking themselves down against poor wee Sligo. Twasn't long ago they slagged me off about never having seen Sligo bate them in championship.....

No need to talk Galway down seanie:
No win in Croke Park since 2001
No Connacht final appearance since 2008. No victory over Mayo in any game be it league, championship or FBD since that day.
Lost to Sligo 3 out out of the last 5 matches between them, have only managed one win.
Didn't beat a team from outside Connacht in the championship from 2004 to 2013.
Should have lost to Waterford at home in the championship last year, avoided relegation to Div 3 by the skin of our teeth this year.

Mayo are our natural rivals in Connacht and they are so far ahead of Galway at the minute it's sickening.
When Galway have a good enough team to be crowing about it you'll hear plenty I'm sure because these are some lean, hopeless years right now and it is indeed at the point where we are going into a match against Sligo hoping rather than expecting to do well, which no offense to "poor wee" Sligo is not where we want to be at.

muppet

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 20, 2014, 10:47:55 AM
Joss Moore's unavailability is compounded by the dismissal of Duane from the panel, although having heard the reason for the disciplinary action Mulholland was left with no other option.

Shouldn't be much between the teams on Saturday evening, Sligo's much better recent record against Galway and the home advantage might see them home but you have to hope that maybe Galway will show a bit better than they have up until now.

You really know it's bad times for Galway when Mayo lads are taking the piss out of us about winning All Irelands.

The last time we got to back-to-back All-Ireland Finals, ye won the next one. I was hardly taking the piss.
MWWSI 2017

Maroon Manc

The Galway bucks talking themselves down against poor wee Sligo. Twasn't long ago they slagged me off about never having seen Sligo bate them in championship.....

That's only natural given our results, you'd be slagging us if we were taking this game for granted.

I'm really not sure what to expect. Any result could happen.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: muppet on June 20, 2014, 10:56:16 AM

The last time we got to back-to-back All-Ireland Finals, ye won the next one. I was hardly taking the piss.

Fair enough, there's no comparison between the Galway team of the late 90's and this incarnation though. Mayo are the only All Ireland contenders out of the two counties, ye are miles ahead of us.

seafoid

No Connacht final appearance since 2008. No victory over Mayo in any game be it league, championship or FBD since that day.
Lost to Sligo 3 out out of the last 5 matches between them, have only managed one win.
Should have lost to Waterford at home in the championship last year, avoided relegation to Div 3 by the skin of our teeth this year.

Mayo are our natural rivals in Connacht and they are so far ahead of Galway at the minute it's sickening.
When Galway have a good enough team to be crowing about it you'll hear plenty I'm sure because these are some lean, hopeless years right now and it is indeed at the point where we are going into a match against Sligo hoping rather than expecting to do well, which no offense to "poor wee" Sligo is not where we want to be at.
The big thing for me in those stats is that Mayo didn't win the all Ireland yet. They are not far enough ahead of Galway. 
All teams go through droughts. Look at Meath or Armagh.

Syferus

Quote from: seafoid on June 20, 2014, 02:39:36 PM

The big thing for me in those stats is that Mayo didn't win the all Ireland yet. They are not far enough ahead of Galway. 

The 115 year one or the 12 year one?

Crete Boom

Quote from: seafoid on June 20, 2014, 02:39:36 PM

Listening to all the tribesmen out and about the one big fear is that Mayo somehow fall over the line and win an All Ireland! ;D Then Galway will really be in severe drought! ;D Although I think you are safe enough for another few years in terms of us actually winning SAM and we should be good enough in the next decade to keep losing the odd final for your entertainment ;D.

I would cheer for you though in a final if you get back on top again soon as we are too nice up here in Mayo ;).

Best of luck to both Sligo and Galway tomorrow and being from north Mayo I will be rooting for my near neighbours to the north.

seafoid

I'd say it'll be close. Hopefully the young lads can get a win.
A Connacht final would be wonderful.
But it's a long way to go yet with this team.

Rossfan

Great to see the adult intellectual discussion among the Connacht folk compared to the childish hoganstandery on the Kildare/Meath thread.  :D
I suspect Sligo's rehab under Flanagan hasn't reached the stage where they can win this one. Then again the Herrin lads don't seem too confident of their team so maybe......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on June 20, 2014, 04:59:07 PM
Great to see the adult intellectual discussion among the Connacht folk compared to the childish hoganstandery on the Kildare/Meath thread.  :D
I suspect Sligo's rehab under Flanagan hasn't reached the stage where they can win this one. Then again the Herrin lads don't seem too confident of their team so maybe......

Rhubarb lover.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Rossfan on June 20, 2014, 04:59:07 PM

Well Conroy, Meehan and Sice were probably Galway's 3 best players last year in that order and none of them are starting tomorrow and only Conroy may or may not play some part. Joss Moore was arguably Galway's best defender during the league and he's out injured.

If it was superstitious I would say the tea leaves are not looking as favourable as they did a few weeks ago.

GalwayBayBoy

James Kavanagh out for Galway now. Failed a late fitness test. Damien Comer starts in his place. Galway down a lot of experienced players now.

Syferus

I've never heard Connacht junior titles name-checked as much in my life. Sure it'd not a Connacht title if Roscommon don't compete.

Itchy

Its a good while since Roscommon competed in senior Connacht too.

Syferus

Quote from: Itchy on June 21, 2014, 07:08:23 PM
Its a good while since Roscommon competed in senior Connacht too.

Two provincial titles since the last time Cavan got within a donkey's roar of one.