Sligo v Galway June 21st markievicz park

Started by sligoman2, June 09, 2014, 11:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Quote from: Shrewdness on June 18, 2014, 08:41:29 PM
Is it Niall Murphy, the U-21 forward that's not playing? Saw him in the U-21 match against Roscommon, and he seemed a real handful. Would have thought that Sligo could find a place somewhere in the forwards for him. It's a bit like what's going on with the young players in my own county.

Shh, you're not allowed to mention any other counties in here, the sligo & Galway lads will get upset!

Syferus

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 18, 2014, 09:07:59 PM
Quote from: Shrewdness on June 18, 2014, 08:41:29 PM
Is it Niall Murphy, the U-21 forward that's not playing? Saw him in the U-21 match against Roscommon, and he seemed a real handful. Would have thought that Sligo could find a place somewhere in the forwards for him. It's a bit like what's going on with the young players in my own county.

Shh, you're not allowed to mention any other counties in here, the sligo & Galway lads will get upset!

That's James Kilcullen off the discussion table so. And Tom Parsons on it.

DJGaliv

Really looking forward to this game now

I just had a look at the odds. It's about right, not a lot between the sides.

Sligo 9/4
Draw 15/2
Galway 4/9
Handicap - Galway (-2)

If I remember rightly Galway have lost three out of the last four championship games to Sligo. With Sligo knocking in a few goals in each win. The only time Galway have beaten them in recent times has been when we stopped Sligo getting a goal.

If we can avoid conceding goals then I think we will have the winning of the game.

Hopefully Conroy is back in action, although you'd wonder how sharp he will be. We have lost Duane and Concannon - two lads who couldn't stay off it 2 weeks out from championship with the county. Their second strike as well - no sympathy here.
I don't think that lads realise the professional preparation that other county players across the country are committed to. Before lads start defending them, beating Cortoon is hardly reason to let loose.

I don't think we will stop Sligo from nicking a goal, however I hope we show up Saturday and scrape through.

I imagine the Galway team will be named tonight/tomorrow morning or has anyone heard?

magpie seanie

I think you are right in what you are saying. We'll need a goal or two to win.

GalwayBayBoy

Galway team

Manus Breathnach
Donal O'Neill
Finian Hanley
Aonghus Tierney
Gareth Bradshaw
Gary O'Donnell
Paul Varley
Fiontain O'Curraoin
Tom Flynn
Michael Lundy
Shane Walsh
James Kavanagh
Michael Martin
Eddie Hoare
Danny Cummins

Captain Obvious

How many underage All Ireland winners is on that Galway team?

Syferus

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 19, 2014, 10:04:54 PM

9 I think but that's just from a quick guess.

muppet

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 19, 2014, 10:07:29 PM

No Conroy, does Gary O'Donnell normally play CHB for club/county?
MWWSI 2017

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: muppet on June 19, 2014, 10:15:46 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 19, 2014, 10:07:29 PM

No Conroy, does Gary O'Donnell normally play CHB for club/county?

Yeah I think the game has tipped back towards Sligo's direction to be honest. All their injury doubts have cleared up. On paper anyway. Conroy who was expected back for this game hasn't made it. Since the London game Galway have lost Joss Moore to injury who was one of their better players during the league. Duane and Concannon have been booted off the panel. Duane may have started on Saturday. Concannon is in great form for the club. Meehan and Sice are missing for various reasons. 4 or 5 of those lads would probably be starting this weekend if available.

An Fhairche Abu

Joss Moore's unavailability is compounded by the dismissal of Duane from the panel, although having heard the reason for the disciplinary action Mulholland was left with no other option.

Shouldn't be much between the teams on Saturday evening, Sligo's much better recent record against Galway and the home advantage might see them home but you have to hope that maybe Galway will show a bit better than they have up until now.

muppet

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 19, 2014, 11:23:28 PM
Joss Moore's unavailability is compounded by the dismissal of Duane from the panel, although having heard the reason for the disciplinary action Mulholland was left with no other option.

Shouldn't be much between the teams on Saturday evening, Sligo's much better recent record against Galway and the home advantage might see them home but you have to hope that maybe Galway will show a bit better than they have up until now.

We've seen this before, Galway favourites for the All-Ireland in my books.
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Quote from: muppet on June 19, 2014, 11:27:18 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 19, 2014, 11:23:28 PM

We've seen this before, Galway favourites for the All-Ireland in my books.

Less of the jibes at poor Mulholland.

magpie seanie

The Galway bucks talking themselves down against poor wee Sligo. Twasn't long ago they slagged me off about never having seen Sligo bate them in championship.....

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 20, 2014, 12:58:08 AM
The Galway bucks talking themselves down against poor wee Sligo. Twasn't long ago they slagged me off about never having seen Sligo bate them in championship.....

Have you not seen Galway's results over the past decade? Being realistic more than talking them down. They have to win a few games first before you can put much faith in them to win a game. Especially away from home.