Longford v Wexford LSFC QF - Longford 7 June 2014 @ 7pm

Started by Shamrock Shore, June 02, 2014, 10:44:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

The Longford supporters must be the most stoic in the country. Never any wild and whirling words, no calls for the management to be sacked, no tortuous analysis of the latest match.

"Ara shite ... Wexford deserved it. We were lucky maybe to be in it right to the end."

"Not half as disappointing as the defeat to Wexford 2 years ago."

Just a slight hint of controversy - "I won't agree that Wexford deserved it" - but no rage-filled bloodletting.

Cf. Mayo.

LaurelEye

Quote from: Hardy on June 08, 2014, 01:45:06 PM
The Longford supporters must be the most stoic in the country.

We're used to it.

Quoteno calls for the management to be sacked

No point.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

antoinse

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 07, 2014, 11:19:39 PM
Ara shite.

Wexford deserved it. They played with more fire and determination. We cuda won it in the end but just didn't have enough to get over the line.

You cannot win any game with no Plan A. Add to that missed 'easy' frees, poor passing, lunatic kick outs and such, well....we were lucky maybe to be in it right to the end.

Well done Wexford and, well, hope ye give Laois a rattle.

Well done to Longford hurlers. I'm tired having attended both matches.

Goodnight.

Too true. As a neutral there it was a baffling performance by Longford.  Wexford forced Longford to go short with kickouts and closed backs down immediately. No fire in belly for battle and weak in too many positions. I wonder why,  Longford were unlucky last year to be relegated from Div2 and this year they dropped further to Div4. They had competitive U21 and minors for the past few years, what is wrong?

Blowitupref

Quote from: antoinse on June 09, 2014, 12:26:19 AM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 07, 2014, 11:19:39 PM
Ara shite.

Wexford deserved it. They played with more fire and determination. We cuda won it in the end but just didn't have enough to get over the line.

You cannot win any game with no Plan A. Add to that missed 'easy' frees, poor passing, lunatic kick outs and such, well....we were lucky maybe to be in it right to the end.

Well done Wexford and, well, hope ye give Laois a rattle.

Well done to Longford hurlers. I'm tired having attended both matches.

Goodnight.

Too true. As a neutral there it was a baffling performance by Longford.  Wexford forced Longford to go short with kickouts and closed backs down immediately. No fire in belly for battle and weak in too many positions. I wonder why,  Longford were unlucky last year to be relegated from Div2 and this year they dropped further to Div4. They had competitive U21 and minors for the past few years, what is wrong?
longford were doing well under Glen Ryan and I'm not sure with the current management will be good enough to bring them forward. Some good players coming through the underage teams and longford should be too good for div 4 next year.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Hardy on June 08, 2014, 01:45:06 PM
The Longford supporters must be the most stoic in the country. Never any wild and whirling words, no calls for the management to be sacked, no tortuous analysis of the latest match.

"Ara shite ... Wexford deserved it. We were lucky maybe to be in it right to the end."

"Not half as disappointing as the defeat to Wexford 2 years ago."

Just a slight hint of controversy - "I won't agree that Wexford deserved it" - but no rage-filled bloodletting.

Cf. Mayo.
Well we like to let our feelings be heard...even seen on messageboards!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

The Insider

Unfortunately the problems that have bedeviled us over the last number of years came back to haunt us again . Unable to win the midfield battle , convert frees that suit a left footed free taker best and some poor shot and pass selection giving Wexford easy turn over ball . Their numbers 6 and 11 given the freedom to run straight through the gaps left down the center of the pitch . At least 3 of the starting line up who have given great commitment and service to the county probably played their last championship game yesterday and won't be easily replaced .

Qwerty28

A lot of the team are late 20s/early 30s and been around the block a number of times at this stage without making the "breakthrough" to a semi final appearance, wonder if they'll have appetite for the dog fight that is Division 4....need to give a good number from the U-21 teams from the last few years a run and give them a few years to rebuild.

Qualifier draw woest possible and heard a few lads have already left panel so doenst bode well Im afraid  :(

Billys Boots

Our lack of strength/quality in depth means that we need to take our chances when we get them - and we don't.  If we are to play a containment game (and I think we have to) then we will only be successful if, when we get meaningful possession, we turn it into scores.  It might be no harm for our best and brightest to look at what Atletico Madrid did with their possession this season.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...