Leinster Championship (Proper)

Started by johnneycool, May 30, 2014, 01:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

After the round robin goings on we're now into the knock out stages (well sort of), what chances of an upset in Portlaoise this Sunday?

TBH I think Antrim have a real chance of upsetting Wexford as they weren't a million miles away in the league and have proven that they've got some stability in a youngish team after the last few weeks winning albeit what may be deemed lower level opposition but still managed to beat Laois in Laois to secure this side of the draw.

Get the full bag of pick'n'mix into them and those Antrim lads can play off the sugar rush. If Kevin Ryan has the team talk out on this pitch at half time and cracks open the barrack busters, Wexford will be fleeing back up vinegar hill in double quick time.

Hard to see Laois beating Galway, but Galway historically just do enough in these games and should fear getting caught out as it may happen, but not on Sunday methinks.

seafoid

Quote from: johnneycool on May 30, 2014, 01:49:16 PM
After the round robin goings on we're now into the knock out stages (well sort of), what chances of an upset in Portlaoise this Sunday?

TBH I think Antrim have a real chance of upsetting Wexford as they weren't a million miles away in the league and have proven that they've got some stability in a youngish team after the last few weeks winning albeit what may be deemed lower level opposition but still managed to beat Laois in Laois to secure this side of the draw.

Get the full bag of pick'n'mix into them and those Antrim lads can play off the sugar rush. If Kevin Ryan has the team talk out on this pitch at half time and cracks open the barrack busters, Wexford will be fleeing back up vinegar hill in double quick time.

Hard to see Laois beating Galway, but Galway historically just do enough in these games and should fear getting caught out as it may happen, but not on Sunday methinks.
i think Galway will be very motivated after last year , a  bit like donegal

Asal Mor

After last year's narrow escape, it's very important for Galway to win convincingly tomorrow. Laois have improved but Galway should be near full intensity tomorrow and if they can't brush Laois aside fairly handily I'd say we can forget about them as serious contenders this year. Clare demolished them last year after they nearly beat us and the form lines didn't lie.

Good luck to Antrim. The bookies have them at 15/2 so it'll be interesting to see if Johnney's right about them being in with a chance.

GalwayBayBoy

Galway team v Laois

Callanan
Moore
R Burke
Collins
Harte
Tannian
D Burke
Coen
Brehony
N Burke
Cooney
D Burke
Mannion
Glynn
Canning

A very big physical Galway side but unusually for Galway I don't think there are very many pacy wristy forwards that we used to have loads of. Forwards especially are nearly all big men but do they have the mix right up there? My fear is there might be too many one-paced players up there.

INDIANA

Quote from: johnneycool on May 30, 2014, 01:49:16 PM

Wexford have been very impressive in recent challenge games against the likes if Tipp. It's a major step up in class for Antrim today.

Asal Mor

Very worrying so far in O' Moore Park so far. After being up 1-3 to 0-0, Laois scored 6 in a row to level it up. Laois are dominating aerial possession as well and just gone a point up. 8 points from play already is impressive from Laois.

Asal Mor

Laois 0-14  1-5 Galway. Go bhfoire dia orainn.

Laois have a strong wind in the first half but all the optimism from the league is well gone. Fair play to Laois who are playing great stuff.

laoislad

Quote from: Asal Mor on June 01, 2014, 04:30:08 PM
Laois 0-14  1-5 Galway. Go bhfoire dia orainn.

Laois have a strong wind in the first half but all the optimism from the league is well gone. Fair play to Laois who are playing great stuff.
HT
Laois 0-16
Galway 1-7
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Collie Brolly

Will Loais hold on now or choke.Be great for Hurling if they hold on,hopefully they can.

Asal Mor

Galway scrape through by 2 points, but Laois missed 4 or 5 late chances and were the better team for most of the game. They got almost all of their scores from play  and I was sorry they didn't win it at the end.

laoislad

Absolutely gutted.
Deserved the win but wasn't to be.
No point in running these bigger counties close all the time, we're gonna have to start winning sometime if we want to make real progress.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Clarin Pearl

Laoislad, you should be gutted. We all follow enough teams to know what that feels like. Keep the head up.... season only getting going yet.

Galway were in a no win situation. There for the taking.

I won't write off Galway just yet. We'll wait to see who they get after the mauling from the cats.

Unusual for Galway, they didn't panic,read the game, took their time and sorted it out. They won't get that time against many other teams left in the championship.

fearsiuil

What sort of crowd was at this game? Are the Laois supporters getting behind their hurling team's revival?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Clarin Pearl on June 02, 2014, 10:02:37 AM
Laoislad, you should be gutted. We all follow enough teams to know what that feels like. Keep the head up.... season only getting going yet.

I won't write off Galway just yet. We'll wait to see who they get after the mauling from the cats. faithful.

Unusual for Galway, they didn't panic,read the game, took their time and sorted it out. They won't get that time against many other teams left in the championship.

Fixed that for you there.

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 03, 2014, 11:19:11 AM
Quote from: Clarin Pearl on June 02, 2014, 10:02:37 AM

I won't write off Galway just yet. We'll wait to see who they get after the mauling from the cats. faithful.

Fixed that for you there.

Have the Offaly hurlers shaken off their fat arses and thighs?