Monaghan v Tyrone - Sunday 15th June - St Tiernach's Park Clones

Started by GrandMasterFlash, May 25, 2014, 12:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on June 17, 2014, 02:30:15 PM
Can anyone tell me why Cavanagh got a yellow and not a black for his "tackle" 30 seconds from the end?

For what its worth the penalty looked very soft, although technically probably a foul, he caught his leg with his own knee, similar but not as blatent as what happed to cillian o'connor in the ros match.

Correct call on the black card also, fair enough cavanagh did pull him down but he was fouled first so you deal with that, result = free in and black card
He may have been fouled first, but that's not a black card offence. Its only a black card when the opponent is deliberately dragged down, if Cavanagh deliberately dragged Hughes down with him, Cavanagh should get the black card-  if the ref hasn't given a free (or possibly yellow card) for the initial foul.

Maguire01

Quote from: Jinxy on June 17, 2014, 11:14:10 AM
Quote from: tyroneboi on June 16, 2014, 09:04:28 PM

Is it just me or do his arms look a bit long?
Cavanagh keeps stretching them!

On the photo - probably taken at 500/sec - would like to see if the photographer captured any more frames from this incident.

Mayo4Sam

I hadnt thought of it that way. Hard one to call for the ref in fairness
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: tyroneboi on June 16, 2014, 09:04:28 PM

That looks likes Hughes is trying to stop Cavanagh falling over or else he is performing the Heimlich manoeuvre, neither of which are black card offences.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on June 17, 2014, 05:24:17 PM

Yes, it is a hard one to call, so the vilification of Cavanagh by so many people and no more so than RTE is completely out of order. We don't know for definite what the intention of either man was so it's unfair for these people to matter of factly decide that Cavanagh is a cheat.
That was never a square ball!!

Maguire01

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 17, 2014, 06:45:24 PM

Yes, it is a hard one to call, so the vilification of Cavanagh by so many people and no more so than RTE is completely out of order. We don't know for definite what the intention of either man was so it's unfair for these people to matter of factly decide that Cavanagh is a cheat.
Yes, it is a hard one to call, in real time at least, and it would be unfair to vilify the referee. But that's not happening.
I don't know how many ways you can interpret Cavanagh's intention in grabbing Hughes' arm.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 17, 2014, 06:54:07 PM

Yes, it is a hard one to call, in real time at least, and it would be unfair to vilify the referee. But that's not happening.
I don't know how many ways you can interpret Cavanagh's intention in grabbing Hughes' arm.

You can't deny that in that picture, at some point, Hughes had his left arm wrapped around Cavanagh. Just because you keep saying it was a dive doesn't mean that is what happened. 

Throw ball

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 17, 2014, 07:49:42 PM

You can't deny that in that picture, at some point, Hughes had his left arm wrapped around Cavanagh. Just because you keep saying it was a dive doesn't mean that is what happened.

Is it a possibility that Hughes' arm is in this position because he was being pulled down and is moving his arm to protect himself from the fall?

For what it is worth my reading is that the initial foul is by Hughes (possible yellow) and a free to Tyrone. Cavanagh pulls him to the ground resulting in a black card for him and a hop ball.

For all the talk of Cavanagh, and the odd mention of Mone, how does Penrose not get more of a mention for his pull down in the first half.

rrhf

29 questionable decisions against Tyrone in that game. Includes fouls not given soft frees etc.

screenexile

Quote from: rrhf on June 17, 2014, 09:15:12 PM
29 questionable decisions against Tyrone in that game. Includes fouls not given soft frees etc.

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

BennyHarp

Quote from: Throw ball on June 17, 2014, 08:46:29 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on June 17, 2014, 07:49:42 PM

Is it a possibility that Hughes' arm is in this position because he was being pulled down and is moving his arm to protect himself from the fall?

For what it is worth my reading is that the initial foul is by Hughes (possible yellow) and a free to Tyrone. Cavanagh pulls him to the ground resulting in a black card for him and a hop ball.

For all the talk of Cavanagh, and the odd mention of Mone, how does Penrose not get more of a mention for his pull down in the first half.

So it was a foul then.  Listening to the fellas on here you think that Cavanagh dived to the ground untouched. All I'm arguing is that a foul occurred. Then, if he committed a foul the defender is opening himself up to be exposed by the forward and in my opinion Cavanagh is within his rights to force the ref to make a decision. It's not the Florence Fight Club here, (regardless of what Brolly says about manliness) if someone is fouling you, you make bloody sure the ref sees it. To be labelled a cheat for going down after being fouled is unfair.

delgany

A few points on darren hughes black card (1) if hughes wasn't fouling sean , he wouldn't have been carded (2) have you ever carried someone on your back , wrapped around you who is 6 ft tall and weighs 14 stone, while your runing - you'd hardly stand up yourself (3) as kevin madden points out in irish news there is actually a more cynical tackle , in that they wrap the player up but release him before he  hits the ground (4) the tackle issue needs resolved with clear guidelines (5) the black card has only made the whole situation worse (6) most supporters do not have a clue what is an actual black card offence.  (7) as a tyrone supporter : the tyrone team beat themselves : extremely poor team , no clear system of play , I've said all year n a team in transition .

rrhf

Shhh don't go thinking for yourself.. This board used to be a  place where free thinkers were commonplace.  now it's choked with brolly Spillane wannabees.  The sheep now have the keys to the board.

Mayo4Sam

Benny had a fair point, if Hughes hadn't his arm in their (fouling him as he's come across the shoulder) then Cavanagh wouldn't have been able to pull him down. Forwards have been at it for years and it's a hard thing to police. Realistically it's part of the game and literally every team does it. Some either they're all cheats or they're not but singling out Cavanagh isn't on especially on the back of last year when he did what any county fan would have wanted their player to do in that situation.
f**k it Mayo did it more we'd have a Connacht final from '01 and a minor all-Ireland from '08
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Redhand Santa

Every time Monaghan got a free in the second half the player lay down injured completely disrupting the momentum of the game. Is that considered ok? There is a clear agenda against Tyrone on the Sunday game which is completely against the spirit of the gaa. They only focus on questionable decisions in the game which go Tyrone's way and totally ignore everything else. On Sunday night they actually went back to clips of Tyrone fouls from last year to try and prove their points.