Monaghan v Tyrone - Sunday 15th June - St Tiernach's Park Clones

Started by GrandMasterFlash, May 25, 2014, 12:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

I look forward to the day this Tyrone attack get a good hard pitch on which they can really let loose.  The recent weather has took the sting out of most teams attacking abilities.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

orangeman

Fuzzman

Lads lettuce try to give our neighbours the respect their deserve as Ulster Champions.
In fairness they did what we couldn't do in the past 3 years and that is beat Donegal.
They were still celebrating when we met them in Croker and we were a lot more used to playing there than they were.
They're back in their home soil now and have the advantage of being able to watch us twice already and see our strengths and weaknesses.

Cute hoorism I hear ye thinking but I couldn't be ar$ed with that nonsense any more.
I think if Monaghan play like they did in the Ulster final last year we won't get close. We'll have to depend on frees. Whilst we've some talented forwards I don't think we have enough power or strength to beat a team like Donegal or Monaghan if they block up the defence and make it a war of attrition. Coney, RoN, McCurry, McAliskey all have great potential but like so many forwards can't hack the pressure cooker of having a swarm defence around them. Not many can.
Morgan could end up being our saviour though. I was very impressed with him on Sat night (well I only saw the highlights last night)

Will be looking forward to seeing Dessie Mone again. Wonder will he be marking Big Sean this time
As I asked on another thread. Did ye see how the Down boys were trying to tackle Sean very high up around his neck most of the game. He takes some abuse every game.

How did Emmet McKenna play on Sat night? Was interesting to hear Mugsy saying we should give the young lads a chance. I am all on for giving lads there chance but I am not all on for changing it every game.

BennyHarp

Just out of interest, and this is a genuine question for the Monaghan lads, but what has improved about Monaghan this year that would make them a more difficult proposition than last year?
That was never a square ball!!

babarino

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 26, 2014, 11:03:43 AM
Just out of interest, and this is a genuine question for the Monaghan lads, but what has improved about Monaghan this year that would make them a more difficult proposition than last year?

More fellas competing for places, so the panel is better than I've ever seen it.

Maguire01

Two things about McManus:
1 Great player that he is, I don't think we're as reliant on him as some would believe. We have options upfront. He had the lion's share of our scoring in the league, but he took the majority of the scorable frees.
2 I'm not convinced he won't be playing!

Fuzzman

Are yis playing wee mind games already.
I thought he was 6-8 weeks

You'd hardly risk him playing against a durty cynical team like Tyrone

never kickt a ball

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 26, 2014, 10:54:28 AM
Lads lettuce try to give our neighbours the respect their deserve as Ulster Champions.
In fairness they did what we couldn't do in the past 3 years and that is beat Donegal.
They were still celebrating when we met them in Croker and we were a lot more used to playing there than they were.
They're back in their home soil now and have the advantage of being able to watch us twice already and see our strengths and weaknesses.

Cute hoorism I hear ye thinking but I couldn't be ar$ed with that nonsense any more.
I think if Monaghan play like they did in the Ulster final last year we won't get close. We'll have to depend on frees. Whilst we've some talented forwards I don't think we have enough power or strength to beat a team like Donegal or Monaghan if they block up the defence and make it a war of attrition. Coney, RoN, McCurry, McAliskey all have great potential but like so many forwards can't hack the pressure cooker of having a swarm defence around them. Not many can.
Morgan could end up being our saviour though. I was very impressed with him on Sat night (well I only saw the highlights last night)

Will be looking forward to seeing Dessie Mone again. Wonder will he be marking Big Sean this time
As I asked on another thread. Did ye see how the Down boys were trying to tackle Sean very high up around his neck most of the game. He takes some abuse every game.

How did Emmet McKenna play on Sat night? Was interesting to hear Mugsy saying we should give the young lads a chance. I am all on for giving lads there chance but I am not all on for changing it every game.

Well said Fuzzman. Monaghan have bean excellent Ulster champions and will be extremely hard to beet in their own cabbage patch. Some people think Tyrone just have to turnip to win. Tyrone will have a spring in their step for sure and no doubt Mickey will have a few little gems up his leave and hopefully our forwards will sprout up everywhere and pepper their defence. It's a big date for Tyrone and there's no raison why it shouldn't be a close pearing.  :)

BennyHarp

Quote from: never kickt a ball on May 26, 2014, 12:19:54 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on May 26, 2014, 10:54:28 AM

Well said Fuzzman. Monaghan have bean excellent Ulster champions and will be extremely hard to beet in their own cabbage patch. Some people think Tyrone just have to turnip to win. Tyrone will have a spring in their step for sure and no doubt Mickey will have a few little gems up his leave and hopefully our forwards will sprout up everywhere and pepper their defence. It's a big date for Tyrone and there's no raison why it shouldn't be a close pearing.  :)

Bravo!  :D plus there is the carrot of a Final place.

babarino

BennyHarp

Quote from: babarino on May 26, 2014, 12:39:49 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on May 26, 2014, 12:20:34 PM

Bravo!  :D plus there is the carrot of a Final place.

Semi final place.

Well for whoever loses it will squash their dreams of a final place.

Bingo

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 26, 2014, 11:03:43 AM

Nothing to lose. Last year was massive expectation after beating Donegal and the pressure of a do or die clash with Tyrone. This year its the first rounds of Ulster, yes they are defending Ulster champs and will want to win badly but they have confidence to know they have a team that has been promoted to Div 1 so the qualifier route is well within their capabilities.

As a team they have improved greatly from last year with scores coming from different places than last year.

babarino

Quote from: never kickt a ball on May 26, 2014, 12:19:54 PM
Well said Fuzzman. Monaghan have bean excellent Ulster champions and will be extremely hard to beet in their own cabbage patch. Some people think Tyrone just have to turnip to win. Tyrone will have a spring in their step for sure and no doubt Mickey will have a few little gems up his leave and hopefully our forwards will sprout up everywhere and pepper their defence. It's a big date for Tyrone and there's no raison why it shouldn't be a close pearing:)

This guy has to be a fruit and veg man. I don't think Monaghan will leek like Down. Lettuce see.

nrico2006

Don't see the whole hoo haa about McManus.  A lot of posters seem to think Monaghan would win Ulster if he was available, but I'd be confident that Tyrone will beat Monaghan if he is playing or not, just as they have done in the last 3 occasions they have met in Championship with him involved.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

rrhf

Its a huge ask for this young Tyrone team.  If they play like they did against down day 1 then it will be day tripping around Ireland for the rest of the summer to obscure places like Dr Cullen Park, Celtic Park and Navan. 
if however we improve on our performance from the last day, we will compete against Monaghan and give ourselves a chance.  I have Monaghan as strong favourites for this game.  Tyrones light and young team will hopefully rise to the occasion.