PRELIMINARY ROUND: New York v MAYO (Gaelic Park, New York, 4th May)

Started by From the Bunker, April 14, 2014, 07:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaoloRossi

Did anyone see Jim White's report on the match on Sky Sports News, I think someone will have to tell him how to pronounce Connacht :3 https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=518997438210702

Tubberman

Quote from: PaoloRossi on May 06, 2014, 12:46:24 PM
Did anyone see Jim White's report on the match on Sky Sports News, I think someone will have to tell him how to pronounce Connacht :3 https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=518997438210702

And Diarmuid and Cillian!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Lar Naparka

Quote from: moysider on May 06, 2014, 12:42:28 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 06, 2014, 12:02:16 AM
Quote from: maigheo on May 05, 2014, 11:48:23 PM
Parsons did play well yesterday and I think the best way to use him at this stage will be as an impact sub when the game opens up late on.He is a very good footballer and you can never have enough of them.It is great to see him making a huge effort for the cause after being dropped off the panel a few years ago.There are a few players who should take a lesson from Parsons on how to react to being dropped off the panel.This whole exercise of NY participating in the CSfc at this stage is a complete joke and I would say that half the fans at the game lost interest after 10 min.I know that part of the argument put forth for continuing with this charade is that all the mayo fans in Ny can get together for a day out and meet people they have not seen in years but in a few weeks time when the local Mayo team play in Gaelic Park there won't be any more than 5 or 6   Mayo people there.But it will continue as turkeys do note vote for Christmas

When the O'Sheas start to wane in a game with 10-15 minutes to go he will be a very useful asset!

He s better than that. Parsons is just behind Pierce Hanley as the best athletic big footballer that we ve had since Padraig Brogan was in his teens.

I'd go further and say that it's vital to the cause that he is included in the starting fifteen. The same goes for Jason Gibbons. Both are fairly big, mobile and are good footballers to boot.
Given Horan's extremely conservative nature, it's highly unlikely that we are going to see any major changes in tactics or personnel for the campaign ahead.
I've nothing against any of the lads in question  but without new faces and/or tactical changes, it's hard to see how Mayo can go one better this year than in the pervious two.
I believe JH looked far and wide in his attempts to find new personnel but , as has been the case since 2011, there are few if any changes to the panel as this year's championship copes closer.
Back in '11, twelve of those likely to be starters this year were on the team that lost the semi to Kerry.
They were:
Hennelly, Cunniffe, Cafferkey, Higgins, Vaughan,  O'Shea x2, McLoughlin, Dillon, Moran, Freeman, 
O'Connor,
Three others who remain part of James's plans, Varley, Doherty and Richie Feeney came on that day.
That's why I think both Parsons and Gibbons just might be able to add that something fresh or just different top the team.
Without changes up front, I can't see this year working out any better than last year or the one before.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

moysider

Quote from: Tubberman on May 06, 2014, 01:45:37 PM
Quote from: PaoloRossi on May 06, 2014, 12:46:24 PM

And Diarmuid and Cillian!

Sillian!

muppet

Haven't had time to post on this.

Regardless of the merits of the fixture, the squad and management deserve credit for the way in which they avoided the banana skin. You can only play what is put in front of you.

On to the next one.
MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

Quote from: Mano on May 06, 2014, 09:46:07 AM
Quote from: Shrewdness on May 06, 2014, 08:25:10 AM
Tom Parsons must have a massive devotion to Mayo football if he's prepared to travel from Cardiff every week for training, all in the hope of maybe getting 10-15 mins at the end of the game.
Strange considering he's a Sligo man.
He would be useful against the Dubs where mobility instead of high fielding is priority for a midfielder

Beat me to it.

Blowitupref

Quote from: muppet on May 07, 2014, 01:58:22 PM

Regardless of the merits of the fixture, the squad and management deserve credit for the way in which they avoided the banana skin. You can only play what is put in front of you.

On to the next one.

Was Hardly a banana Skin. Sligo and Leitrim won this fixtures by 24 points in the last two years.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

muppet

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 09, 2014, 01:24:19 AM

On to the next one.

Was Hardly a banana Skin. Sligo and Leitrim won this fixtures by 24 points in the last two years.

It isn't a banana skin afterwards.
MWWSI 2017

moysider

Quote from: muppet on May 09, 2014, 08:38:15 AM

On to the next one.

True. Remember London 2011. The Horan era nearly shot up on the runway.

Blowitupref

Quote from: moysider on May 09, 2014, 11:45:54 AM
Quote from: muppet on May 09, 2014, 08:38:15 AM

On to the next one.

True. Remember London 2011. The Horan era nearly shot up on the runway.
very different times and much improved Mayo outfit. London if given the chance to play New York would also beat them comfortably.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rossfan

On to the next one.

An annual total farce of a game. Let them play in the Connacht Junior championship  - be more NY's level.
Since Galway got a scare a few years ago the teams going over have concentrated on the game and ignorned all the social/fundraisers,meet the Exiles, Co Association etc. with the result that NY get absolutely destroyed now.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AMayoFan

Quote from: Rossfan on May 09, 2014, 04:24:27 PM

On to the next one.

An annual total farce of a game. Let them play in the Connacht Junior championship  - be more NY's level.
Since Galway got a scare a few years ago the teams going over have concentrated on the game and ignorned all the social/fundraisers,meet the Exiles, Co Association etc. with the result that NY get absolutely destroyed now.

not so sure Mayo ignore social/fundraising. Night before the game the team when out and folks were made to pay in to see them (apparently for fundraising). Gaelic Park got a fair bit from Gate receipts. The team where more than generous with there time with folks after the match. I know the team attended at least one event (or at least Horan was a guess speaker somewhere).  Yip, the game was one sided, although Mayo didn't get all there own way. Midfield was interesting at times. Andy Moran was kept quiet.

NY tried hard and the players were in great shape ... Playing All-Ireland finalist brings it own buzz. Definitely can see there is an appetite over there for the game & that should be encourage.  Also, there were not far behind the score line between Mayo & Donegal last year  :P 

Syferus

Quote from: AMayoFan on May 09, 2014, 05:16:12 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 09, 2014, 04:24:27 PM

On to the next one.

not so sure Mayo ignore social/fundraising. Night before the game the team when out and folks were made to pay in to see them (apparently for fundraising). Gaelic Park got a fair bit from Gate receipts. The team where more than generous with there time with folks after the match. I know the team attended at least one event (or at least Horan was a guess speaker somewhere).  Yip, the game was one sided, although Mayo didn't get all there own way. Midfield was interesting at times. Andy Moran was kept quiet.

NY tried hard and the players were in great shape ... Playing All-Ireland finalist brings it own buzz. Definitely can see there is an appetite over there for the game & that should be encourage.  Also, there were not far behind the score line between Mayo & Donegal last year  :P 

Don't mind him, he's just not allowed outside the country after his last trip to NY.

Syferus

What's the story with the CT journo with the hard-on for Jamesy, lads? Did he just totally invent the Buckley-Horan feud?

Crete Boom

Quote from: Syferus on May 13, 2014, 02:42:49 PM
What's the story with the CT journo with the hard-on for Jamesy, lads? Did he just totally invent the Buckley-Horan feud?

He seems to be a bit of a clown and has had Horan in his sights since before the last All Ireland final. He takes a bit of here say and rumour and packages into a red top tabloid Esq scandal article i.e crisis/bust up/ etc...... He does seem to have a personal vendetta with Horan and the latest article is true to his form. The Mayo sessions are split between Dublin( and it's surrounds) based players and those based in the west. Horan and Buckley take control of one session each which they alternate on so all the players get time with the coaching staff. Aidan Henry (from what I have been told) rocked up at one of the recent western sessions which was been taken by Horan and not seeing Buckley there ( he was taking the session in Dublin) he came up with the story that they had a bust up. Now I haven't spoken to anyone directly involved in the training session in question but I have been told Henry didn't enquire as to why Buckley wasn't there and jumped to his assumption by himself but as I said this came from someone involved with the Dublin session on that day.
Maybe there is a bust up that the Mayo management are trying to sweep under the carpet ( vindicating Henry) but with our past record of trying to keep squabbles in house and a county board that has had no problem hanging better liked managers out to dry in the media in the past I would be shocked if the logical explanation I was given which Horan repeated today wasn't the truth!!