PRELIMINARY ROUND: New York v MAYO (Gaelic Park, New York, 4th May)

Started by From the Bunker, April 14, 2014, 07:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: Chimley on May 05, 2014, 08:05:27 AM
Waste of time and money. It was nothing more than a challenge match and an excuse for a session in NY for supporters. We learned that Varley is still ahead of Sweeney and Gallagher in the pecking order and that Higgins seems to bring a bit of stability to the full back line. AOS is not a CHF. We still go to sleep for long periods of games and our impact subs in the second half rarely have an impact. Dillon Feeney and  Parsons were not an improvement over those they replaced.

It s quite a sobering summary Chimley and I m inclined to believe you are correct.

I d hope that AOS might have an impact in later games when things are more honest and there is more space and gaps to run at? Maybe not, we don t have great success at converting players as we ve seen again with Higgins. The thing is though that we can only play 2 from Gibbons, Parsons, Seamie, Barry and Aidan at 8 and 9. Have we the luxury of leaving 3 on the bench? Midfield would be their best position in each case but is the panel of forwards so hot we can do that?

John Casey mentioned Parsons as being the pick of the subs yesterday. I haven t a clue what to make of the picking order of the forwards.

larryin89

Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Syferus

Quote from: larryin89 on May 05, 2014, 05:06:34 PM
Well Casey is bound to stick with his townie.

Didn't know John Casey was from Bellaghy too.

joemamas

Quote from: moysider on May 05, 2014, 03:05:04 PM
Waste of time and money. It was nothing more than a challenge match and an excuse for a session in NY for supporters. We learned that Varley is still ahead of Sweeney and Gallagher in the pecking order and that Higgins seems to bring a bit of stability to the full back line. AOS is not a CHF. We still go to sleep for long periods of games and our impact subs in the second half rarely have an impact. Dillon Feeney and  Parsons were not an improvement over those they replaced.

It s quite a sobering summary Chimley and I m inclined to believe you are correct.

I d hope that AOS might have an impact in later games when things are more honest and there is more space and gaps to run at? Maybe not, we don t have great success at converting players as we ve seen again with Higgins. The thing is though that we can only play 2 from Gibbons, Parsons, Seamie, Barry and Aidan at 8 and 9. Have we the luxury of leaving 3 on the bench? Midfield would be their best position in each case but is the panel of forwards so hot we can do that?

John Casey mentioned Parsons as being the pick of the subs yesterday. I haven t a clue what to make of the picking order of the forwards.

Moysider,

You have gone very negative, I was at the game and it was a no win situation, win by 20 or 10 didn't matter. We do need another freescoring forward, Regan may have been the answer , but it appears he did not want to be part of it this year. This is a pity as I have said before, he "may" become a great player on a not so great Mayo team.

I do not think James Horan is perfect, but I also respect what he has done for Mayo and where he has brought them from at considerable time expense, managing a county team in today world has to be a real pain in the ass. He also has a young family. He is also relatively low key and is not a media hound, which I also respect. With the "possible" exception of Kevin Mcstay, I do not believe that we have a replacement that could advance this group.

Lets all get behind James and our players again, the sacrifices they all make are crazy.

joemamas

Quote from: larryin89 on May 05, 2014, 05:06:34 PM
Well Casey is bound to stick with his townie.

I met Tom after the game yesterday, He did have a decent game, against average opposition, he looks a lot sharper than previous years. I could tell from talking to him that he is very focused on helping the team. The guy is putting in a huge effort as he lives in cardiff and commutes home to mayo every weekend to train, I can only imagine that novelty wears off pretty quickly. At this point, he is probably 3rd or 4th choice for midfield. He may be an addition as the year goes on.

moysider

Quote from: joemamas on May 05, 2014, 05:13:40 PM
Quote from: moysider on May 05, 2014, 03:05:04 PM

Moysider,

You have gone very negative, I was at the game and it was a no win situation, win by 20 or 10 didn't matter. We do need another freescoring forward, Regan may have been the answer , but it appears he did not want to be part of it this year. This is a pity as I have said before, he "may" become a great player on a not so great Mayo team.

I do not think James Horan is perfect, but I also respect what he has done for Mayo and where he has brought them from at considerable time expense, managing a county team in today world has to be a real pain in the ass. He also has a young family. He is also relatively low key and is not a media hound, which I also respect. With the "possible" exception of Kevin Mcstay, I do not believe that we have a replacement that could advance this group.

Lets all get behind James and our players again, the sacrifices they all make are crazy.

Jeez I didn t realise I was that negative me :(

Look I was glad that James Horan got the Mayo gig and by and large I think he has done a very good job. I shudder to think who may have been given the job when he got it and God help us when he goes.

I m disappointed with some developments but who isn t? But at the same time I m delighted that Tom Parsons is back involved.

In my time there has been 2/3 teams that should have been good enough to win the AI but came up short. I fear that this may happen again. I hope I m wrong. It ll be at least 5 weeks before we know if we are driving on or regressing.

Beo

Is Canamhaint mé.

maigheo

Parsons did play well yesterday and I think the best way to use him at this stage will be as an impact sub when the game opens up late on.He is a very good footballer and you can never have enough of them.It is great to see him making a huge effort for the cause after being dropped off the panel a few years ago.There are a few players who should take a lesson from Parsons on how to react to being dropped off the panel.This whole exercise of NY participating in the CSfc at this stage is a complete joke and I would say that half the fans at the game lost interest after 10 min.I know that part of the argument put forth for continuing with this charade is that all the mayo fans in Ny can get together for a day out and meet people they have not seen in years but in a few weeks time when the local Mayo team play in Gaelic Park there won't be any more than 5 or 6   Mayo people there.But it will continue as turkeys do note vote for Christmas

From the Bunker

Quote from: maigheo on May 05, 2014, 11:48:23 PM
Parsons did play well yesterday and I think the best way to use him at this stage will be as an impact sub when the game opens up late on.He is a very good footballer and you can never have enough of them.It is great to see him making a huge effort for the cause after being dropped off the panel a few years ago.There are a few players who should take a lesson from Parsons on how to react to being dropped off the panel.This whole exercise of NY participating in the CSfc at this stage is a complete joke and I would say that half the fans at the game lost interest after 10 min.I know that part of the argument put forth for continuing with this charade is that all the mayo fans in Ny can get together for a day out and meet people they have not seen in years but in a few weeks time when the local Mayo team play in Gaelic Park there won't be any more than 5 or 6   Mayo people there.But it will continue as turkeys do note vote for Christmas

When the O'Sheas start to wane in a game with 10-15 minutes to go he will be a very useful asset!

moysider

Struggling to think of a few myself.

moysider

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 06, 2014, 12:02:16 AM

When the O'Sheas start to wane in a game with 10-15 minutes to go he will be a very useful asset!

He s better than that. Parsons is just behind Pierce Hanley as the best athletic big footballer that we ve had since Padraig Brogan was in his teens.

maigheo

Quote from: moysider on May 06, 2014, 12:38:07 AM

Struggling to think of a few myself.
Not biting tonite Moysider :) :) :)

Shrewdness

Tom Parsons must have a massive devotion to Mayo football if he's prepared to travel from Cardiff every week for training, all in the hope of maybe getting 10-15 mins at the end of the game.

Mano

Quote from: Shrewdness on May 06, 2014, 08:25:10 AM
Tom Parsons must have a massive devotion to Mayo football if he's prepared to travel from Cardiff every week for training, all in the hope of maybe getting 10-15 mins at the end of the game.
Strange considering he's a Sligo man.

He would be useful against the Dubs where mobility instead of high fielding is priority for a midfielder

macdanger2

Quote from: moysider on May 06, 2014, 12:42:28 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 06, 2014, 12:02:16 AM

He s better than that. Parsons is just behind Pierce Hanley as the best athletic big footballer that we ve had since Padraig Brogan was in his teens.

Please don't take God's name in vain moy.

Seriously though, Parsons doesn't have the accuracy of Bomber or Hanley. As Mano said though, he could definitely do a job in games where mobility is more important than fielding.

If Horan can effectively accommodate even one of the five somewhere else in the team, it'd be great.