Muineachán v An Mhí, NFL Division 2 Round 2, Clones, Sunday 9th February 2014

Started by GrandMasterFlash, February 03, 2014, 02:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schkite

I see McGee is continuing the trend of getting McManus's name wrong. Usually it's Ciaran McManus, now McGee is calling him Conor Walsh. You'd think for an all-star who's been on the inter county scene 7 years, journalists would be able to get his name right by now.

Aristo 60

Quote from: babarino on February 09, 2014, 06:16:44 PM
Quote from: Sea The Stars on February 09, 2014, 05:54:27 PM
Monaghan are picking up where they left off last year. I was naively optimistic about Meath's chances after out big scoring tally last week and as well as that I got carried away by Monaghan's failure to beat Down. Reality is Monaghan are totally superior to Meath! 

It's always good to see a different county challenging and I hope Monaghan continue to improve and genuinely challenge for an All-Ireland this year. There were a lot of names in that Monaghan team I didn't recognise so it's onwards and upwards for them.

Fair dues for taking the defeat on the chin. Last week Monaghan were far better than Down - the 'Aristocrats' delude themselves thinking otherwise. Both teams were short big players and the draw was down to Monaghan's rookies (who played well and won the match ups) not taking their goal chances. Otherwise it would have been a rout. Soft frees, from a consistently poor, ref to Down, after McCartan and his backroom team threw wobblers on the sideline. The Down keeper should have been black carded...

Tús maith - Muineacháin abú.

Absolute rot. Monaghan hadn't the bottle to hold their lead (again) and Down missed enough in the closing period to win the match comfortably.

McCartan's midfield substitutions nullified monaghan and Finlay, who did well in the first half, tired in the second half. Down took advantage.

And in future don't have me coming onto other threads looking for your anti Down bias.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Main Street

That's the delusion talking.
I thought you'd recognise those traits, Jinxy :D

Itchy

armaghniac

Quote from: Itchy on February 10, 2014, 06:00:33 PM
I see the division 3 infighting of last year has moved to Div 2!

Don't worry, next year Monaghan will be in Div 1 and Meath back in Div 3, so the sniping will end.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Itchy

Quote from: armaghniac on February 10, 2014, 06:12:52 PM
Quote from: Itchy on February 10, 2014, 06:00:33 PM
I see the division 3 infighting of last year has moved to Div 2!

Don't worry, next year Monaghan will be in Div 1 and Meath back in Div 3, so the sniping will end.
Hopefully Cavan will be in div 2, three teams best kept apart.

Maguire01

Quote from: Aristo 60 on February 10, 2014, 02:46:22 PM
Monaghan are picking up where they left off last year. I was naively optimistic about Meath's chances after out big scoring tally last week and as well as that I got carried away by Monaghan's failure to beat Down. Reality is Monaghan are totally superior to Meath! 

It's always good to see a different county challenging and I hope Monaghan continue to improve and genuinely challenge for an All-Ireland this year. There were a lot of names in that Monaghan team I didn't recognise so it's onwards and upwards for them.

Fair dues for taking the defeat on the chin. Last week Monaghan were far better than Down - the 'Aristocrats' delude themselves thinking otherwise. Both teams were short big players and the draw was down to Monaghan's rookies (who played well and won the match ups) not taking their goal chances. Otherwise it would have been a rout. Soft frees, from a consistently poor, ref to Down, after McCartan and his backroom team threw wobblers on the sideline. The Down keeper should have been black carded...

Absolute rot. Monaghan hadn't the bottle to hold their lead (again) and Down missed enough in the closing period to win the match comfortably.

McCartan's midfield substitutions nullified monaghan and Finlay, who did well in the first half, tired in the second half. Down took advantage.

And in future don't have me coming onto other threads looking for your anti Down bias.
Are you actively looking for something to take offence at?!

And you can't say that Monaghan "hadn't the bottle" and then attribute the win to Down's midfield substitutions and Finlay tiring.

If Monaghan had taken even one of their goal chances, they would have beaten Down - it's as simple as that. They didn't, and it was a draw - it was a point lost by Monaghan and a point salvaged by Down. Down were almost as bad in the first half last week as Meath were yesterday - the reason we were further ahead against Meath at half time is that we took the majority of scoring opportunities we had.

Maguire01

Quote from: Main Street on February 10, 2014, 12:30:33 PM
Probably Monaghan will pick up enough points to stay in Div 2. 
Ah come on, surely we can be a bit more ambitious than that? 3 more home games - i'd be expecting Monaghan to aim to be in the mix for promotion. There are no teams in Division 2 that Monaghan aren't well capable of beating if they play like they did yesterday.

Maguire01

Quote from: Bingo on February 10, 2014, 11:29:15 AM
Makes the next game interesting and suddenly its not a must win game.
I don't think the Donegal game was ever a must-win in terms of avoiding relegation, but I reckon it's a must-win (or at least a must-draw) for the promotion race. Hard to see what other teams will take points off Donegal (although Down and Armagh could be tricky away games).

Maguire01

Quote from: Sea The Stars on February 09, 2014, 09:17:06 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on February 09, 2014, 09:08:25 PM
Quote from: Sea The Stars on February 09, 2014, 08:20:33 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on February 09, 2014, 08:04:48 PM
Quote from: Sea The Stars on February 09, 2014, 05:29:34 PMMonaghan play close to the line and were able to unnerve Meath - completely different to last week when Galway stood off Meath and were happy to play football with us
That's a ridiculous comment. Monaghan played plenty of great football today and Meath simply couldn't match them.

Nothing ridiculous apart the idiot who is clearly very paranoid! I realise Monaghan played some excellent football and they played the type of football I would expect from a top team. Meath had a more naive approach to today's game expecting that Monaghan would let them play as Galway did last week. Monaghan have some class footballers - despite the hammering Meath took it's still enjoyable to see a class footballer like McManus.
Idiot? Really no need to resort to personal abuse.

And now you're talking about how Meath might have been expecting Monaghan to let them play, whereas your initial post was that Monaghan weren't happy to play football with Meath - they were, but Meath couldn't match them.

You're looking for an argument where they is none. You clearly aren't able to understood the points I am making about Monaghan - all good by the way yet you seem to interpret it different. I called you an idiot because that is how you are coming across.
You said Galway "were happy to play football with us", implying that Monaghan weren't happy to play football, that they were negative, dirty, whatever you want to call it. If that's not what you intended, then fair enough, but that's how I read it. Monaghan were more that happy to play football, and they did.

babarino

Quote from: Aristo 60 on February 10, 2014, 02:46:22 PM

Do I feel an OR ELSE coming here? You're spouting nonsense about anti Down bias. No thread for the Monaghan v Down, so no views aired on the game.

McCartan (and I believe Harrison with two sons playing) lost the head completely on the sideline. Sideline bans have been issued for less. I was only a few meters away. Are you denying this? Are you saying the Down keeper shouldn't have been black carded?

Yes the Monaghan midfield tiring. The 'keep ball' tactics played into Down's hands. We'll agree to disagree about the soft frees. But overall Monaghan were a far better team over the 70. Only posted earlier comment because a Meath man thought the result reflected where Monaghan are at, which I don't. Maybe we'll meet in Clones later in the year.

Main Street

Sea The Stars

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 10, 2014, 07:38:42 PM
Quote from: Sea The Stars on February 09, 2014, 09:17:06 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on February 09, 2014, 09:08:25 PM
Quote from: Sea The Stars on February 09, 2014, 08:20:33 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on February 09, 2014, 08:04:48 PM
Quote from: Sea The Stars on February 09, 2014, 05:29:34 PMMonaghan play close to the line and were able to unnerve Meath - completely different to last week when Galway stood off Meath and were happy to play football with us
That's a ridiculous comment. Monaghan played plenty of great football today and Meath simply couldn't match them.

Nothing ridiculous apart the idiot who is clearly very paranoid! I realise Monaghan played some excellent football and they played the type of football I would expect from a top team. Meath had a more naive approach to today's game expecting that Monaghan would let them play as Galway did last week. Monaghan have some class footballers - despite the hammering Meath took it's still enjoyable to see a class footballer like McManus.
Idiot? Really no need to resort to personal abuse.

And now you're talking about how Meath might have been expecting Monaghan to let them play, whereas your initial post was that Monaghan weren't happy to play football with Meath - they were, but Meath couldn't match them.

You're looking for an argument where they is none. You clearly aren't able to understood the points I am making about Monaghan - all good by the way yet you seem to interpret it different. I called you an idiot because that is how you are coming across.
You said Galway "were happy to play football with us", implying that Monaghan weren't happy to play football, that they were negative, dirty, whatever you want to call it. If that's not what you intended, then fair enough, but that's how I read it. Monaghan were more that happy to play football, and they did.

I meant Monaghan didn't let Meath play football as Galway did. Monaghan a lot better at closing off space, etc than Galway. I would thought it obvious that's what I meant. I wasn't trying to imply anything - clearly you have a bit of a problem as you are looking for an argument in everyone's posts.

Main Street

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 10, 2014, 07:33:27 PM
Quote from: Main Street on February 10, 2014, 12:30:33 PM
Probably Monaghan will pick up enough points to stay in Div 2. 
Ah come on, surely we can be a bit more ambitious than that? 3 more home games - i'd be expecting Monaghan to aim to be in the mix for promotion. There are no teams in Division 2 that Monaghan aren't well capable of beating if they play like they did yesterday.
It might take a few days for ambition to rare its head, but for now I'm totally satisfied after serving Meath yet another cold dish.

We could sign a truce with Meath and call it quits, seeing that their team just keep surrendering unconditionally to us.