Should amateur clubs meet the cost of championships games abroad?

Started by Knock Yer Mucker In, December 12, 2013, 01:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knock Yer Mucker In

I think that it is crazy how clubs have to raise serious cash to travel to England to play championship matches. We are amateur clubs, should Croke Park not pay all of these costs ?

Emyvale counting the cost of success
12 December 2013

The celebrations gets underway for Emyvale at The Athletic GroundsEmyvale chairman John Finn admits it has been a huge challenge for the Monaghan club to meet the cost of sending the team to Birmingham for Sunday's All-Ireland JFC quarter-final against John Mitchel's of Liverpool.

While the recently-crowned Ulster champions have received some financial assistance from Croke Park, they've still had to raise thousands of euro themselves to cover the cost of the trip to England's second city.

"This difficult task of raising the money was one the club was more than welcome to be faced with," the former Monaghan footballer said in the Irish News.

"Some teams may not be able to afford the trip for one reason or another and may have to pull out of the tournament."

He added: "It'll be just another match for them and I don't think they'll get too caught up in the occasion."

nrico2006

Disgrace that clubs here should have to pay to go and play in England.  If anything, the games should be played here and the other team made to travel.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Zulu

Why should the British teams have to travel? British teams have a lot of expenses before we get to that stage and have little local support to call on. In saying that, when British clubs did travel over I'm sure they got more than enough to cover the trip so I'm surprised Irish teams aren't getting the same.

AZOffaly

Maybe Croke Park should pay for it, or at least give money towards it. It's competition rules after all that some of the games are in the UK.

orangeman

How much is the subsidy paid by provincial councils / Croke Park ?

Bingo

Quote from: orangeman on December 12, 2013, 02:07:37 PM
How much is the subsidy paid by provincial councils / Croke Park ?

I've heard they will get €10k and will have about €3-4k to make up.

Zulu

screenexile

Quote from: Zulu on December 12, 2013, 02:39:19 PM
Surely €10k would cover it?

Wouldn't have thought so... panel of 30 players + management team with last minute flights/hotels transfers/food. There would still be quite a shortfall.

Bingo

I'd not be so sure, you'd have 40 between players, mentors, officials etc.

Depends how they travel. Booking flights within 3 weeks wouldn't be the cheapest for that number. Then you've accomodation, bus hire, food etc. Not be long building up. €250 a head for 40 = €10,000 which wouldn't be off the wall and on the low side if you ask me.

Obviously if they ferried over, it would be cheaper but you're travelling all hours to get out to play a match then.

Zulu

Fair enough but I'd say €10K is a fair figure to give to a club for a trip to Britain. If we were going over to Ireland everybody would be expected to pay for their own food, transport to/from airport or travel from hotel to match and all those travelling may have to pay something towards the trip as well.

Bingo

Quote from: Zulu on December 12, 2013, 03:19:51 PM
Fair enough but I'd say €10K is a fair figure to give to a club for a trip to Britain. If we were going over to Ireland everybody would be expected to pay for their own food, transport to/from airport or travel from hotel to match and all those travelling may have to pay something towards the trip as well.

You'd be shocking popular two weeks before xmas.

I know in Emyvale they held a table quiz last weekend to raise a few quid for it.

I'd have no bother trying to save a few quid but no player should be out of pocket to travel over the water to play a game for his club/county. That would include wages if he was a young fella with a weekend job.

Zulu

Ah yeah, I don't think players should be out of pocket but if Enyvale win they'll have to travel for the semi final and that will involve travel and food costs so I think €10k is a fair enough amount for the GAA to contribute.

magpie seanie

What would be a fair figure to give a county team to travel to Britain?

charlie linkbox

Quote from: screenexile on December 12, 2013, 02:45:32 PM

Wouldn't have thought so... panel of 30 players + management team with last minute flights/hotels transfers/food. There would still be quite a shortfall.

I think Emyvale cut their panel to 24 for this game to save costs. Wouldn't make the rest of the panel feel too valued would it.

Zulu

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 12, 2013, 03:42:14 PM

What would be a fair figure to give a county team to travel to Britain?

What's the point of your loaded question? That club players are just as important as IC players?