Dr Mckenna Cup

Started by Farneylawd2011, November 12, 2013, 12:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farneylawd2011

Anybody know when the fixtures are out ?? 8) 8) 8)

J OGorman

johnneycool

Quote from: Farneylawd2011 on November 12, 2013, 12:00:13 PM
Anybody know when the fixtures are out ?? 8) 8) 8)

It's up to the counties involved to sort it out themselves.

our_fella

The draw has taken place for the groups for the 2014 Dr McKenna Cup.

Section A: QUB, Donegal, Tyrone, Armagh
Section B: St Mary's UCB, Fermanagh, Monaghan, Derry
Section C: UUJ, Down, Antrim, Cavan

The competition fixtures will be finalised at a meeting of Comhairle Uladh CCC on Thursday 21st November.

Ulster GAA will once again be selling a limited number of competition tickets for the 2014 Dr McKenna Cup which will permit you access to Round 1, Round 2 and Round 3 games involving your team, both semi finals and the final for just £20/€25... that's a potential saving of over 60%!

T Fearon

Jaysus,given that group Armagh's in,I hope Mc Geeney tells Tipperary to forget about him until he's at least finished with Tyrone and Donegal!

T Fearon

Group A definitely the Group of Death.

Redhand Santa

Depends how serious Donegal take it. If they treat it like last year it will be 2 easy points. Though I'd imagine he'll play a few regulars this year.

StephenC

Quote from: Redhand Santa on November 13, 2013, 08:54:25 AM
Depends how serious Donegal take it. If they treat it like last year it will be 2 easy points. Though I'd imagine he'll play a few regulars this year.

I seriously doubt it. I'd say Maxi and Rory will want the McKenna to prepare their U21 lads and I don't see why Jim would suddenly want to start playing the older lads in it.

Redhand Santa

I'd throw them out if they play the u21's. Total waste of time if do what they did last year. No one minds experimentation but to put out a u21 squad which won't compete is taking it too far. Maybe after the way Donegal exited last year McGuiness will be trying to get them more competitive from early on and try to use to McKenna Cup to find a new players (only way to do this is to integrate them with experienced players).

orangeman

Quote from: StephenC on November 13, 2013, 09:01:35 PM

I seriously doubt it. I'd say Maxi and Rory will want the McKenna to prepare their U21 lads and I don't see why Jim would suddenly want to start playing the older lads in it.

What will the level of co operating be between Jim and Maxi - Rory after the split ?

Down Follower

Quote from: orangeman on November 14, 2013, 12:59:07 AM

What will the level of co operating be between Jim and Maxi - Rory after the split ?

Does anyone else get the feeling that these controversies that happen in Donegal are a bit staged!!  First it was Kevin Cassidy who was on the verge of retiring anyway and was removed from the County panel because of well, not much really in that book.

Now we have Rory Gallagher being removed the senior management panel but lets face it, remaining an integral part of the make up with the U21's.

Is it all a smoke screen to give the image of Jimmy as a ruthless man whom nobody should cross, but also as someone who if you stay onside will nurture you!! Something just seems odd to me about these situations and it smells like they arent exactly what they appear.

Then again, maybe I am reading the Alex Ferguson book too much at the minute!!

trueblue1234

Quote from: Down Follower on November 14, 2013, 10:42:58 AM

Does anyone else get the feeling that these controversies that happen in Donegal are a bit staged!!  First it was Kevin Cassidy who was on the verge of retiring anyway and was removed from the County panel because of well, not much really in that book.
Now we have Rory Gallagher being removed the senior management panel but lets face it, remaining an integral part of the make up with the U21's.

Is it all a smoke screen to give the image of Jimmy as a ruthless man whom nobody should cross, but also as someone who if you stay onside will nurture you!! Something just seems odd to me about these situations and it smells like they arent exactly what they appear.

Kevin was only 28-29 in 2011 when he had the fall out with Jim. For a player of his ability he would have had at least 3-4 good years left. But I'd agree it was a bit of a over reaction by Jim.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

CD

Quote from: trueblue1234 on November 14, 2013, 11:38:24 AM
Quote from: Down Follower on November 14, 2013, 10:42:58 AM

Kevin was only 28-29 in 2011 when he had the fall out with Jim. For a player of his ability he would have had at least 3-4 good years left. But I'd agree it was a bit of a over reaction by Jim.

Brilliant player and great craic on a night out - and he has loads left to offer on the pitch but the book was the straw that broke the camels back. Cas had a long line of disciplinary breeches over the years with various managers. Jim knew he was an obstacle to the total acquiescence he required and I'd say he was glad of a legitimate opportunity to axe him from the squad.  I felt sorry for him when he missed out on an All Ireland that a player of his quality should be winning. Unfortunately, maverick characters aren't fancied in the modern game! Bring on the robots!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

J70

Read an interview with him. He'll not be turning it over to the U-21s this time out, but he's going to be experimenting with the senior squad, so I doubt we'll see much of the likes of Lacey, Murphy and the McGees anyway. Last year, it coincided with the team holiday in Dubai, hence the U-21s.