Ireland v Australia, Rules Test 1, Breffni Park, Saturday 19 October 2013

Started by BennyCake, October 02, 2013, 10:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea The Stars

I agree it's up to Michael Murphy himself what he wants to do and who he wants to play for. But honestly do supporters of the series really find what was served up tonight entertaining? Other than seeing some of the best Gaelic Footballers on the one pitch playing a sport that's kind of Gaelic Football but not really, what is there to like about it?

Zulu

Quote from: Jinxy on October 19, 2013, 10:09:42 PM
Quote from: Zulu on October 19, 2013, 10:02:09 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on October 19, 2013, 09:45:12 PM
Quote from: Zulu on October 19, 2013, 09:15:27 PM
Quote from: sam03/05 on October 19, 2013, 09:07:54 PM
What a load of shit of a game!
Michael Murphy chose to play in that nonsense on the eve of a county final!

Fk me!!

These boys are selected because they are among the best footballers in Ireland and have a chance to be acknowledged as such and you can't understand why they might want to play?

Murphy plays for Donegal, if he can do what he is asked to do in that system then the IC must be a dream.

If he got injured like Walsh did participating in this absolute abomination of an event, and his club lost the county final as a result would you shrug your shoulders and say "Ah well, them's the breaks".
Do the players actually enjoy playing in this thing or is it just a means to an end, i.e. they get to say they represented their country?
Lord knows it's nigh on impossible to watch.
Thank god this will be the last year of it anyway.

I presume they do as they actually play it and as Walsh pointed out he's been travelling up from Cork for the past seven weeks to train for it. It isn't a great watch anymore but if you don't like it don't watch it, me? I'll be viewing the next game for sure.

Whether people watch it or don't watch is neither here nor there.
Murphy has a county final to play in.
TOMORROW.
Does that mean anything?

Surely that's Murphy's choice but if you are worried about club football then look closer to home and our ridiculous IC season.

The Boy Wonder

A few suggestions to improve this "game"
- only allow marks for overhead catches with 2 feet off the ground
- ban the handpass
- ban kicking loose ball so players have use hands to get possession.

Wildweasel74

The problem with this game is the tackle, the swinging round of players and instant drag down takes no skill, it makes the game messy with alot of soccer style action a players know they be dragged down, its not pretty to watch but theres the makings of a game there if the adjusted rules to make it watchable which it is all about

Zulu

No it's not in fairness. It's about compromise not watchability as it's only every two years and has no commercial value.

Syferus

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

muppet

Quote from: ONeill on October 20, 2013, 12:06:22 AM
Oval ball second game.

That would be fair but would be a whitewash.

The second half was watchable. Still, overall it was as good if not better than, for example, what the Irish soccer team has served up in the last 18 months.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

MWWSI 2017

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

trileacman

Quote from: Jinxy on October 19, 2013, 10:09:42 PM
Quote from: Zulu on October 19, 2013, 10:02:09 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on October 19, 2013, 09:45:12 PM
Quote from: Zulu on October 19, 2013, 09:15:27 PM
Quote from: sam03/05 on October 19, 2013, 09:07:54 PM
What a load of shit of a game!
Michael Murphy chose to play in that nonsense on the eve of a county final!

Fk me!!

These boys are selected because they are among the best footballers in Ireland and have a chance to be acknowledged as such and you can't understand why they might want to play?

Murphy plays for Donegal, if he can do what he is asked to do in that system then the IC must be a dream.

If he got injured like Walsh did participating in this absolute abomination of an event, and his club lost the county final as a result would you shrug your shoulders and say "Ah well, them's the breaks".
Do the players actually enjoy playing in this thing or is it just a means to an end, i.e. they get to say they represented their country?
Lord knows it's nigh on impossible to watch.
Thank god this will be the last year of it anyway.

I presume they do as they actually play it and as Walsh pointed out he's been travelling up from Cork for the past seven weeks to train for it. It isn't a great watch anymore but if you don't like it don't watch it, me? I'll be viewing the next game for sure.

Whether people watch it or don't watch is neither here nor there.
Murphy has a county final to play in.
TOMORROW.
Does that mean anything?

What is it to you what a Glenswilly man does? You're an awful crying hoor.

The Clonoe lads went on the lash a few days before a Ulster club championship match. Doesn't that mean anything?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Captain Obvious

Quote from: RandyDupree on October 20, 2013, 12:36:03 AM
I'd have more interest in the Railway cup.
A few posters on here hated the Railway cup and want it scrapped however those same few posters think the international rules is great and should continue?

stephenite

Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 20, 2013, 04:03:12 AM
A few posters on here hated the Railway cup and want it scrapped however those same few posters think the international rules is great and should continue?

The Railway Cup should be scrapped as the public have demonstrated zero interest. If the powers that be scrapped International Rules (which I'm a fan of) and replaced it with the Railway Cup I'd be happy see if 17k showed up to watch it.

The issue however is not Railway Cup vs International Rules. The issue is viability of this concept, given 17k pay to watch it, which is a hell of a lot more than even some of our own matches, it would appear viable to continue in my view.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: stephenite on October 20, 2013, 04:28:20 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 20, 2013, 04:03:12 AM

The Railway Cup should be scrapped as the public have demonstrated zero interest. If the powers that be scrapped International Rules (which I'm a fan of) and replaced it with the Railway Cup I'd be happy see if 17k showed up to watch it.

The issue however is not Railway Cup vs International Rules. The issue is viability of this concept, given 17k pay to watch it, which is a hell of a lot more than even some of our own matches, it would appear viable to continue in my view.
Attendance figures for division two,three,four and championship qualifiers isn't great should they be scrapped also?