2013 All Ireland Final: Mayo v Dublin

Started by All of a Sludden, August 26, 2013, 10:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guy crouchback

mayo fans got badly treated by the county board last year and as a result we were well out numbered on the day. with this in mid a lot of people got stuck into getting tickets early and from other sources this year. the result is we could well be in the majority come sunday although i doubt there will be much in it.

following on from last year i think having the extra week i.e, playing in the first semi, gives the fans of that county a slight advantage in getting tickets from neutral sources.

seafoid

The gimp of Kevin McStay predicting the result . He's on telly in a suit and he can't rip off the shirt
to show an Elvery's jersey beneath . And the look in his eye when he sits back in the seat.
It's a lot more than a match. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PNufx3QQoQ

Starts at 18.16

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: ballinaman on September 20, 2013, 09:21:03 AM
Quote from: Tubberman on September 20, 2013, 09:14:14 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on September 20, 2013, 09:06:01 AM
Quote from: Tubberman on September 20, 2013, 08:38:43 AM
I'm fluctuating big time Iolar - pessimistic more often than optimistic :(
Stay strong - this is no time to be getting the shits...maybe Monday after 20 Guinness though...

Haha I'm on an upper again. f**k all difference I can make anyway so I might as well just enjoy it :)
Exactly, My brother in law was getting awfully worried about what jersey to wear and how he can't do the same ritual as the Saturday night before Donegal/Tyrone games.....FFS, i told him to get a grip. Not an iota of difference will any of it make come Sunday.

I can sympathize with that, no harm in having the oul rituals lined up

I think the mayo buckos will have at least 50,000 at this one

Crete Boom

Quote from: moysider on September 20, 2013, 01:17:30 AM
Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on September 19, 2013, 04:16:17 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on September 19, 2013, 03:50:22 PM
Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on September 19, 2013, 03:15:03 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on September 19, 2013, 12:31:23 PM
Quote from: emmetryan on September 19, 2013, 10:48:13 AM
Hi guys,

Tactical preview of Mayo vs Dublin with video now up
http://action81.com/blog/?p=7654

Thanks,
Emmet

Good read as always and you more or less confirmed what has worried me coming into this match i.e. can we contain the Dubs scoring power? As you highlighted it's our subs in the backs which will have to do some heavy lifting in order to quell the likes of Rock etc... and limiting the volume of chances for the Dubs is probably where we win the game (God it's good to read a review with out the term marquee forward). On the flip side I think the Dubs defence will probably give up/ or Mayo's attack will create about 14 to 16 scores which against anyone else would win Mayo an All Ireland but I think even with our defence holding their own the impact of the Dublin bench will have us struggle to keep their scores under 18.

So I am going to call it the Dubs by 2 after we give them an almighty scare but ultimately Andy , Dillion and O Connor not being 100% will cost us. This by the way doesn't stop me from believing that with a bit of luck I am wrong and with this Mayo side I never give up the ghost till the final whistle blows but the above prediction is just based on what I have seen this year from both teams.

Enjoy the match everyone who has secured their tickets and to those still looking I hope you get one!

The great thing about Keith Higgins at CHF is that if the scores start to rack up against us, it will be relatively simple to put Higgins in as a sweeper, steady the ship and push on again....

Also Mayo are not replying on any particular forward division player to be firing on all cylinders to get us over the line, in the semi- Final, Dillon and Moran were well below par, what did we get? Our defenders coming up and kicking key points, this must take a lot of pressure of the forwards coming into the game and if the first couple of balls don't go their way, there is no need for panic.

Mayo will get a goal or two in this game, not sure if it will be a long ball through Freeman or a straight run by Vaughan, Boyle or Higgins, but either option is there and will cause the Dubs a lot of problems.....

If Dublin make all the changes that have been posted, i will be amazed and it will be a boost to Mayo. Players who have been playing well all year, don't reach the same standards in the semi and are then dropped, must filter through to the other players again adding to the overall pressure................

Same team again i see, excellent.........gives all the under performers in the Semi, another chance to show what they are made of........

Maith an fear an Gaeilgoir. B'fhéidir go bhfuil mé go diúltach mar gheall ar ár thaifead i cluichí ceannais ach imní orm go mbeidh ár chúl a chosaint i bhfad ró chun a ionsaí i gcoinne an fhoireann Bhaile Átha Cliath!

Tá mé treisithe ag do mhuinín san fhoireann seo i Maigh Eo agus i gcomhréir le do chuid tuairimí thuas, is é an t-am anois le haghaidh Sam MacGuire le teacht abhaile ar deireadh. Mhaigh Eo a bhuachan ag 5!! ;D (Tá mé leithscéal as mo gramadach, Is é mo Ghaeilge uafásach).

Iarracht Mhaith Crete, B+, Aontaíonn leat mar gheall leis an scór....

Tusa níos measa agus  an leasainm sin agatsa >: Gaelgóir mo Thóin ( :)

Le gramadach mar sin, níl seans ar laghad againn  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Moy , Go mbeadh cosa gloine fút agus go mbrise an ghloine  >:( >:( >:( >:(!

Chimley

Quote from: Crete Boom on September 20, 2013, 10:10:11 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks,
Emmet

Good read as always and you more or less confirmed what has worried me coming into this match i.e. can we contain the Dubs scoring power? As you highlighted it's our subs in the backs which will have to do some heavy lifting in order to quell the likes of Rock etc... and limiting the volume of chances for the Dubs is probably where we win the game (God it's good to read a review with out the term marquee forward). On the flip side I think the Dubs defence will probably give up/ or Mayo's attack will create about 14 to 16 scores which against anyone else would win Mayo an All Ireland but I think even with our defence holding their own the impact of the Dublin bench will have us struggle to keep their scores under 18.

So I am going to call it the Dubs by 2 after we give them an almighty scare but ultimately Andy , Dillion and O Connor not being 100% will cost us. This by the way doesn't stop me from believing that with a bit of luck I am wrong and with this Mayo side I never give up the ghost till the final whistle blows but the above prediction is just based on what I have seen this year from both teams.

Enjoy the match everyone who has secured their tickets and to those still looking I hope you get one!

The great thing about Keith Higgins at CHF is that if the scores start to rack up against us, it will be relatively simple to put Higgins in as a sweeper, steady the ship and push on again....

Also Mayo are not replying on any particular forward division player to be firing on all cylinders to get us over the line, in the semi- Final, Dillon and Moran were well below par, what did we get? Our defenders coming up and kicking key points, this must take a lot of pressure of the forwards coming into the game and if the first couple of balls don't go their way, there is no need for panic.

Mayo will get a goal or two in this game, not sure if it will be a long ball through Freeman or a straight run by Vaughan, Boyle or Higgins, but either option is there and will cause the Dubs a lot of problems.....

If Dublin make all the changes that have been posted, i will be amazed and it will be a boost to Mayo. Players who have been playing well all year, don't reach the same standards in the semi and are then dropped, must filter through to the other players again adding to the overall pressure................

Same team again i see, excellent.........gives all the under performers in the Semi, another chance to show what they are made of........

Maith an fear an Gaeilgoir. B'fhéidir go bhfuil mé go diúltach mar gheall ar ár thaifead i cluichí ceannais ach imní orm go mbeidh ár chúl a chosaint i bhfad ró chun a ionsaí i gcoinne an fhoireann Bhaile Átha Cliath!

Tá mé treisithe ag do mhuinín san fhoireann seo i Maigh Eo agus i gcomhréir le do chuid tuairimí thuas, is é an t-am anois le haghaidh Sam MacGuire le teacht abhaile ar deireadh. Mhaigh Eo a bhuachan ag 5!! ;D (Tá mé leithscéal as mo gramadach, Is é mo Ghaeilge uafásach).

Jesus Crete. Did we really need another curse on the eve of the final!

Crete Boom

Quote from: Chimley on September 20, 2013, 10:24:32 AM
Quote from: Crete Boom on September 20, 2013, 10:10:11 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks,
Emmet

Jesus Crete. Did we really need another curse on the eve of the final!

I don't think I know any good insults that don't involve a curse or the devil or both ;D

highorlow

QuoteOf the six forwards named for Mayo, two are injured, two are out of form and one is playing out of position.

The two were injured. Moran was carrying an injury the last day and he will be flying on Sunday. I hear that COC can take plenty of pucks to the shoulder but it's the innocuous collision that could ruffle him (again), he is best to start and give it a crack and it is emblematic of this teams attitude that he starts.  So those are positives.

Alan Dillion played a blinder in the 2nd half against Tyrone and if the match is tight I expect him to shine, as he always does against the Dubs. He threaded a ball through to Freeman (i think) that gooch would admire the last day and scored a class point early in the 2nd half.

If the other one is KMcL?, then it wasn't form that was off the last day but the constant physicality he was subjected to throughout the game. He got a belt early in the game that I think lost him a yard. Again another man that loves playing against the Dubs. I would like him to be the sweeper for the 1st ten minutes rather than Higgins (as suggested by KMcStay, but I would say that was to bum steer the Dubs anyhow).

No one is playing out of position? Tis the same team named as the last day.

If anyone should be worried it will be the Dubs;

What are they going to do when there young lads up front will be smothered of possession and forced to kicking from the 50?

What is their plan B for the kick outs when SC will be holding his palms out looking for a free Dub like a priest willing people to pray?

How are they going to stop Colm Boyle's, Keith Higgin's, Donal Vaughan's, Christy Barretts runs through their (proven) porous backline?

When Darragh McCauly's predictable ball hop is intercepted what will he do with the next ball?

When young McCaffery's first run is stopped and we counterattack will it be his last?

When Connolly starts to lose the head will they take him off or will he be sent off?

Will they sub Brogan again?

When they fall 4 to 5 behind what will effect will the Hill have on their novice forwards?

Time will tell, but for in my mind we are favorites for this and rightly so. No doubt we have our own homework to do on the Dubs and also on our own weaknesses.

But overall I think our homework is lighter than theirs and we also have the better footballers and I'm 100% sure they are going to do the business on Sunday.

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

moysider

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on September 20, 2013, 08:18:56 AM
I hate to rain on a parade but there are some elephants in the Mayo room that nobody is talking about.

Of the six forwards named for Mayo, two are injured, two are out of form and one is playing out of position.

I know form is temporary and class is permanent, and I know that we've been assured that the injured men are successfully recovered. But Jesus Christ, one alone would be a risk. Five seems positively reckless.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope I'm the dumbest man on this board come five o'clock on Sunday. But I'm terrified, and I don't know why more people aren't.

Except Farrendeelin, of course. He understands.  :(

I share your concerns and so do a lot of people I m talking. The summer masses will be optimistic of course and kids will have no fear - curses and bad history mean nothing to them.

I m not surprised Horan has named the same team though. Maybe there ll be a late surprise but I doubt it. Some of our players are not 100% or probably nowhere near it but they could be vital in settling the team down early and then see how the story goes. Decision making will be crucial. Andy, Dillon, Higgins and COC are among our best players in this respect. Any replacements would not be.

moysider

Quote from: highorlow on September 20, 2013, 10:53:52 AM
QuoteOf the six forwards named for Mayo, two are injured, two are out of form and one is playing out of position.

The two were injured. Moran was carrying an injury the last day and he will be flying on Sunday. I hear that COC can take plenty of pucks to the shoulder but it's the innocuous collision that could ruffle him (again), he is best to start and give it a crack and it is emblematic of this teams attitude that he starts.  So those are positives.

Alan Dillion played a blinder in the 2nd half against Tyrone and if the match is tight I expect him to shine, as he always does against the Dubs. He threaded a ball through to Freeman (i think) that gooch would admire the last day and scored a class point early in the 2nd half.

If the other one is KMcL?, then it wasn't form that was off the last day but the constant physicality he was subjected to throughout the game. He got a belt early in the game that I think lost him a yard. Again another man that loves playing against the Dubs. I would like him to be the sweeper for the 1st ten minutes rather than Higgins (as suggested by KMcStay, but I would say that was to bum steer the Dubs anyhow).

No one is playing out of position? Tis the same team named as the last day.

If anyone should be worried it will be the Dubs;

What are they going to do when there young lads up front will be smothered of possession and forced to kicking from the 50?

What is their plan B for the kick outs when SC will be holding his palms out looking for a free Dub like a priest willing people to pray?

How are they going to stop Colm Boyle's, Keith Higgin's, Donal Vaughan's, Christy Barretts runs through their (proven) porous backline?

When Darragh McCauly's predictable ball hop is intercepted what will he do with the next ball?

When young McCaffery's first run is stopped and we counterattack will it be his last?

When Connolly starts to lose the head will they take him off or will he be sent off?

Will they sub Brogan again?

When they fall 4 to 5 behind what will effect will the Hill have on their novice forwards?

Time will tell, but for in my mind we are favorites for this and rightly so. No doubt we have our own homework to do on the Dubs and also on our own weaknesses.

But overall I think our homework is lighter than theirs and we also have the better footballers and I'm 100% sure they are going to do the business on Sunday.

Begob, that post has given me more courage than a feed of pints. Fair dues highorlow.

easytiger95

Hi highorlow

Let me answer a few of your questions

If the young lads get smothered, roll on McManamon/Cullen/ Rock/O'Gara

If we need a plan B for the kick outs, roll on Bastick

Our porous back line hadn't conceded much on the scoreboard before the Kerry game - and we usually outscore what we concede

McCauley's "predictable" ball hop has been on full display for the past four seasons and not many have lived with it

If Jack is stopped, sure we might get James running at ya

this is the same Connoly who was man of the match in the last game, being marked by one of the greatest defenders in the past twenty years?

to be fair, they subbed Berno because he was injured the last day - and if we sub him after he scores six points, four from play, against this magnificent Mayo back line, I'd be happy with his performance

Hmmm - fell 5 behind against Kildare, we were behind against Cork, and I don;t need to remind you how far we were behind against Kerry - or how the Hill stayed with them all the way - best atmosphere at a game I've ever experienced.

You may notice I'm not asking any questions of what Mayo are going to do - and that's because we're going to go and play our own game regardless. Can't wait for it - underdogs in a full Croker? Bring it on.

moysider

Quote from: easytiger95 on September 20, 2013, 11:37:46 AM
Hi highorlow

Let me answer a few of your questions

If the young lads get smothered, roll on McManamon/Cullen/ Rock/O'Gara

If we need a plan B for the kick outs, roll on Bastick

Our porous back line hadn't conceded much on the scoreboard before the Kerry game - and we usually outscore what we concede

McCauley's "predictable" ball hop has been on full display for the past four seasons and not many have lived with it

If Jack is stopped, sure we might get James running at ya

this is the same Connoly who was man of the match in the last game, being marked by one of the greatest defenders in the past twenty years?

to be fair, they subbed Berno because he was injured the last day - and if we sub him after he scores six points, four from play, against this magnificent Mayo back line, I'd be happy with his performance

Hmmm - fell 5 behind against Kildare, we were behind against Cork, and I don;t need to remind you how far we were behind against Kerry - or how the Hill stayed with them all the way - best atmosphere at a game I've ever experienced.

You may notice I'm not asking any questions of what Mayo are going to do - and that's because we're going to go and play our own game regardless. Can't wait for it - underdogs in a full Croker? Bring it on.

Damn you tiger.

Now I m depressed again :(

Farrandeelin

The main worry for me is that throughout the campaign to date, Mayo have drifted out of games. This cannot happen against Dublin. But I fear it will. We are not 'destined' to win because we lost the previous 6. I did say before Dublin v Kerry that the team that beats Dublin will win Sam. Can Mayo be the team? Hopefully, but then again, I share concerns raised by Iolar and moy and others who doubt the Mayo team too.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ballinaman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 20, 2013, 12:23:00 PM
The main worry for me is that throughout the campaign to date, Mayo have drifted out of games. This cannot happen against Dublin. But I fear it will. We are not 'destined' to win because we lost the previous 6. I did say before Dublin v Kerry that the team that beats Dublin will win Sam. Can Mayo be the team? Hopefully, but then again, I share concerns raised by Iolar and moy and others who doubt the Mayo team too.
That pisses me off big time. You've got to win the thing for yourself.

I was in Vegas a few years ago and saw 36 blacks in a row come up in a roulette game in the MGM. Lads kept throwing money on red thinking surely it was going to happen...fair bit of money lost that night I tell ya!

moysider

Quote from: ballinaman on September 20, 2013, 12:32:25 PM

I was in Vegas a few years ago and saw 36 blacks in a row come up in a roulette game in the MGM. Lads kept throwing money on red thinking surely it was going to happen...fair bit of money lost that night I tell ya!

But is that anecdote not backing up what Farr. is saying.

36 blacks in a row = Mayo string of defeats.
Throwing money on red = belief that Mayo's losing run must end sometime?

Tubberman

Quote from: moysider on September 20, 2013, 12:40:53 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on September 20, 2013, 12:32:25 PM

But is that anecdote not backing up what Farr. is saying.

36 blacks in a row = Mayo string of defeats.
Throwing money on red = belief that Mayo's losing run must end sometime?

And we're only at 6! Another 30 losses to go before we reach The Promised Land :(
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."