Ulster Final Donegal V Monaghan

Started by J70, June 30, 2013, 05:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

They need to get Rory Woods back for this.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Jinxy on July 01, 2013, 02:37:29 PM
They need to get Rory Woods back for this.

Woods was mighty in the 2008 Qualifier, he was my MOTM but I think Finlay got it for his free-taking.

I missed the '95 game as I was in the US that summer. Most Monaghan folk will say tell you that was one the best Monaghan matches in modern history..

Personally speaking, I enjoyed knocking Armagh off their perch in 2003..  ::)

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: J70 on June 30, 2013, 05:34:39 PM
What do you Monaghan boys think/expect?

Monaghan always give Donegal plenty to think about and have a good record against them.. However, given the respective developments I can't see anything other than a Donegal victory. I would hope for a close encounter though which I think is within our boys reach. We haven't seen a real big performance from them this year yet which I believe is in them.

They'll be going in as extreme underdogs which will help somewhat, but I'm not sure if the 'big performance' will be against an extremely well organised and physical Donegal outfit..

So, a slight chance I would say, but slim...  :)

charlie linkbox

The '95 game is one of my earliest memories of going to a Monaghan game. If I remember correctly I think Declan Loughman went for a point from a nice bit out and the ball ended up in the top corner of the net. Declan Bonnar missed a penalty too didn't he?

We'll need another day like that!

J70

Bonner missed the penalty in the first minute. Only got worse from there!

All I remember is the Monaghan supporters behind the town goal singing and waving "cheerio, cheerio" as Donegal people started leaving with 10 or 15 minutes to go!

Humiliating!

Maguire01

I remember that game myself. Wasn't the penalty saved?

Hardy

Quote from: Oraisteach on June 30, 2013, 05:51:03 PM
Born in Monaghan, if that counts.  Given the nature of these two defenses, I don't expect a high-scoring tussle, but though the two teams will be separated by only four points or so, it'll still play out as a fairly comfortable win for Donegal, not a predicted Dublin-Meath shellacking, but no need for worry around Glenties.

Hey! Leave us out of this. And we won't be taking Dublin for granted. 

babarino

Quote from: J70 on July 01, 2013, 04:57:29 PM

All I remember is the Monaghan supporters behind the town goal singing and waving "cheerio, cheerio" as Donegal people started leaving with 10 or 15 minutes to go!

Humiliating!

Not a nice chant. Some days it just doesn't work out, a flat performance and you're sick enough without having a crowd of a'holes jeering. We promise not to do that part again in the final.

Main Street

Quote from: babarino on July 01, 2013, 09:21:31 PM
Quote from: J70 on July 01, 2013, 04:57:29 PM

Humiliating!

Not a nice chant. Some days it just doesn't work out, a flat performance and you're sick enough without having a crowd of a'holes jeering. We promise not to do that part again in the final.
Anyone who leaves early (usually the 'March violets') are fair game and the chant isn't directed at those who stay on to the bitter end.

Do we have a plan for this game? like keep a few of our best players in reserve on the bench until the 2nd half begins?
Will there be a 2nd half?

Fuzzman

Try keeping McFadden scoreless from play for a start and you'll be doing well.
If ye ever leave him one on one then expect to me punished.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 02, 2013, 03:28:23 PM
Try keeping McFadden scoreless from play for a start and you'll be doing well.
If ye ever leave him one on one then expect to me punished.

Correct and right. However, we'll not punish you if he does score from open play!  ;)

yellowcard

I think this game may be a lot closer than some people expect. Monaghan are the type of 'sluggers' who ape the Donegal style of play and this will mean that scores are at a premium and I would expect something similar to the Donegal v Down match. Malachy O'Rourke is one of the best managers around and is very tactically astute and I'm sure he will have a plan for this match. Ultimately I'm not sure Monaghan have sufficient quality to actually get the scores to win the game though.

J70

Quote from: yellowcard on July 02, 2013, 03:48:49 PM
I think this game may be a lot closer than some people expect. Monaghan are the type of 'sluggers' who ape the Donegal style of play and this will mean that scores are at a premium and I would expect something similar to the Donegal v Down match. Malachy O'Rourke is one of the best managers around and is very tactically astute and I'm sure he will have a plan for this match. Ultimately I'm not sure Monaghan have sufficient quality to actually get the scores to win the game though.

That's what I'm thinking.

Don't know why so many pundits are dismissing Monaghan out of hand.

I only saw the highlights from Saturday, but if lads like McManus can take scores like that on a regular basis, Monaghan must be in with a shout, even if Donegal do go in as strong favourites.

babarino

Quote from: J70 on July 02, 2013, 05:30:48 PM

I only saw the highlights from Saturday, but if lads like McManus can take scores like that on a regular basis, Monaghan must be in with a shout, even if Donegal do go in as strong favourites.

They're dismissing Monaghan because they haven't shown the form, so far in the Championship, to suggest anything other than a +5 victory for Donegal. Yes, some players like McManus, Wylie, Walsh, Mone, Lennon and the Hughies have shown the type of performance that might get us over the line. While our defence has improved, we're losing too much dirty ball in midfield and the forwards have better shooting in them than they've shown to date.

We're in the final because of a good draw, but we haven't seen the performances that saw us in the last two finals...and we know what happened then. Maybe there's more in the tank or else we're not ready to run with the big dogs.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: babarino on July 02, 2013, 10:08:08 PM
Quote from: J70 on July 02, 2013, 05:30:48 PM

They're dismissing Monaghan because they haven't shown the form, so far in the Championship, to suggest anything other than a +5 victory for Donegal. Yes, some players like McManus, Wylie, Walsh, Mone, Lennon and the Hughies have shown the type of performance that might get us over the line. While our defence has improved, we're losing too much dirty ball in midfield and the forwards have better shooting in them than they've shown to date.

We're in the final because of a good draw, but we haven't seen the performances that saw us in the last two finals...and we know what happened then. Maybe there's more in the tank or else we're not ready to run with the big dogs.

I expect a tough hard match in the Donegal/Down mould. The one thing that might tell against Monaghan is that while Down were well used to playing teams at Donegal's standard in Div 1, the level of intensity required will be a whole new ball game for the Farney men.
How they cope with this will be important.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.