Sinn Fein's fractured relationship with PSNI vehicles

Started by T Fearon, June 22, 2013, 08:30:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulick

Fair play Gerry K, some balls even for a man his age. Going by that video he single-handedly prevented a major escalation into full scale rioting - and gets no thanks for it.

orangeman

I'm scratching my head here.

Is it not usually the cops that tell you to "pull in" as opposed to Sinn Fein telling the cops to pull in.

My, oh how the tables have very definitely turned.

The funniest bit for me was when the cop came up to GK and said "I'll check to see if the young fella is in the back of the land rover MR. KELLY."

It used to be the case that it was the cops that asked for your name. Now you can ask the cops for their name and number and they give it to you.

It's changed times boys.

Tonto

Quote from: Myles Na G. on June 23, 2013, 06:40:24 AM
Quote from: hardstation on June 22, 2013, 01:48:44 PM
They can't just stop at marching past the chapel. They have to spit at it and shout Fcuk the Pope.
They really don't do themselves any favours and only have themselves to blame when they are inevitably told to fcuk off by the parades commission.
Stupid orange bastids.
Any footage of that? There were enough people standing around with camera phones just waiting for the paraders to step out of line, so I'm sure it must be out there somewhere. Otherwise the conclusion would have to be that yer man in the republican propaganda video was simply making stuff up, which I'm sure he wouldn't do.
That's a question I asked yesterday. Bizarrely no one has come up with anything. Strange.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Tonto on June 23, 2013, 10:05:32 AM
They can't just stop at marching past the chapel. They have to spit at it and shout Fcuk the Pope.
They really don't do themselves any favours and only have themselves to blame when they are inevitably told to fcuk off by the parades commission.
Stupid orange bastids.
Any footage of that? There were enough people standing around with camera phones just waiting for the paraders to step out of line, so I'm sure it must be out there somewhere. Otherwise the conclusion would have to be that yer man in the republican propaganda video was simply making stuff up, which I'm sure he wouldn't do.
That's a question I asked yesterday. Bizarrely no one has come up with anything. Strange.
They have (again) breached the PC determination by not playing a single drum beat, so the FTP and spitting should be moot. They are obviously trying to escalate the situation when there is no need. Repeated breaches, including pissing against the chuch railings, mean they should forfeit any (perceived) right to march down that road. As I said before, scum.

Gaffer

Quote from: Ulick on June 23, 2013, 08:36:58 AM
Fair play Gerry K, some balls even for a man his age. Going by that video he single-handedly prevented a major escalation into full scale rioting - and gets no thanks for it.

Thanks Gerry!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

deiseach

Tonto

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 23, 2013, 10:38:20 AM
Stupid orange bastids.
They have (again) breached the PC determination by not playing a single drum beat, so the FTP and spitting should be moot.
If it is "moot" why make it up in the first place, thereby undermining your own argument?

Myles Na G.

Stupid orange bastids.
They have (again) breached the PC determination by not playing a single drum beat, so the FTP and spitting should be moot. They are obviously trying to escalate the situation when there is no need. Repeated breaches, including pissing against the chuch railings, mean they should forfeit any (perceived) right to march down that road. As I said before, scum.
True, the single drum beat stipulation was breached, though in all seriousness I can't understand how the playing of hymns going past a church can be deemed to be offensive (hymns...church...there's a connection in there somewhere if you look hard enough).The point about the spitting and the FTP remarks is far from moot. Here you have a spokesman for the residents coming out and making stuff up in a fairly cynical attempt to paint the marchers in the worst possible light. And yet the Orangemen are constantly being berated for not entering into dialogue with the spokesman and his mates. Why would they do that? Why would they want to talk to someone whose naked sectarianism and bigotry is such that he can't stop himself telling lies about the marchers in the absence of any real outrageous behaviour to talk about? (Of course, if someone posts some footage of the spitting and swearing I'll apologise profusely and agree that the marchers are a pack of scumbegs who shouldn't be allowed to set foot on that road).

qubdub

Stupid orange bastids.
There is footage of them playing and singing the famine song last year marching in a circle outside the chapel with the cameraman being attacked. The band responsible maintained they did nothing wrong even with video evidence. Another bandman also pissed up against St Matthew's last year, so some of them spitting and shouting f**k the Pope on Donegall St isn't exactly beyond the realms of possibility. Considering the hundreds of participants involved I'm sure it's also possible that one or two of them were able to spit and shout their abuse without being filmed!  ::) ::) ::)

qubdub

Quote from: Myles Na G. on June 23, 2013, 11:18:35 AM
Stupid orange bastids.
. And yet the Orangemen are constantly being berated for not entering into dialogue with the spokesman and his mates. Why would they do that? Why would they want to talk to someone whose naked sectarianism and bigotry is such that he can't stop himself telling lies about the marchers in the absence of any real outrageous behaviour to talk about? (Of course, if someone posts some footage of the spitting and swearing I'll apologise profusely and agree that the marchers are a pack of scumbegs who shouldn't be allowed to set foot on that road).
Hmm, maybe because they're marching right through his community and having it essentially sealed off any time they want to do so?  ::)
Here's a video here you seem to have either not seen or decided to forget.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My5cf2zlkpo

Now, as Unionist, can you honestly say you would support, for example, a republican march through your community if a republican band did something similar outside your place of worship a year previous? (Not sure if there is a republican equivalent to the famine song)

Just because there isn't a video of something it's automatically lies? Given what the OO and their marching bands are capable of, as the video shows, I'd say there's a strong chance that what he alleges to have happened did. I again refer to the pissing incident at St Matthew's. There's no video of it, I suppose that was lies too.

Count 10

They should be made pay for the policing of these parades.

Tony Baloney

Stupid orange bastids.
True, the single drum beat stipulation was breached, though in all seriousness I can't understand how the playing of hymns going past a church can be deemed to be offensive (hymns...church...there's a connection in there somewhere if you look hard enough).The point about the spitting and the FTP remarks is far from moot. Here you have a spokesman for the residents coming out and making stuff up in a fairly cynical attempt to paint the marchers in the worst possible light. And yet the Orangemen are constantly being berated for not entering into dialogue with the spokesman and his mates. Why would they do that? Why would they want to talk to someone whose naked sectarianism and bigotry is such that he can't stop himself telling lies about the marchers in the absence of any real outrageous behaviour to talk about? (Of course, if someone posts some footage of the spitting and swearing I'll apologise profusely and agree that the marchers are a pack of scumbegs who shouldn't be allowed to set foot on that road).
The bands and Orders don't get to make up the rules. They can do as they're bid or stay off the streets. As someone said it is about supremacy and power and control. They desperately want to show they will not be dictated to by residents or the PC. If that's the case they shouldn't be allowed down the road. It is a no lose situation for the OO - if prevented from marching due to repeated breaches they will roll out the usual shite about civil and religious liberties, get a few unsavouries out to make trouble to "enable" some grant aid; if allowed to march they will continue to rub residents noses in it.

Hardy

Something's cockeyed here. You assume the man is lying because you have seen no video evidence to support his statement. People dealing in good faith usually make the opposite assumption. Assume a statement is correct unless there is evidence to the contrary. Not only do you assume that his statement is a lie, you accuse him of sectarianism for making it. This is on the basis that your knowledge of what must have transpired, though you weren't there, must be superior to that of the person making the claim, purely because of his (cultural) identity. That seems to me to indicate that it's you who's exhibiting sectarian prejudice.

That's not to mention at all the bizarreness of your choice of where to look for sectarian behaviour in the middle of a sectarian Orange march.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Hardy on June 23, 2013, 01:58:39 PM

Something's cockeyed here. You assume the man is lying because you have seen no video evidence to support his statement. People dealing in good faith usually make the opposite assumption. Assume a statement is correct unless there is evidence to the contrary. Not only do you assume that his statement is a lie, you accuse him of sectarianism for making it. This is on the basis that your knowledge of what must have transpired, though you weren't there, must be superior to that of the person making the claim, purely because of his (cultural) identity. That seems to me to indicate that it's you who's exhibiting sectarian prejudice.

That's not to mention at all the bizarreness of your choice of where to look for sectarian behaviour in the middle of a sectarian Orange march.
The world's photographers were assembled at the spot waiting to get a good shot - like, for e.g, a band playing the famine sing, or a bandsman urinating up against church railings. Would they have missed it if bandsmen were effing the pope and spitting at onlookers? Somehow doubt it. But even if the professionals had missed it, how many were standing about with camera phones? Take a look again at the clip of Gerry Kelly arguing with the PSNI and note how many people are filming it on their phones. Think they'd have missed such a spectacular display of bigotry if it had taken place? Na, me neither. As for me exhibiting sectarian prejudice: I'm a north Belfast Catholic, (though I no longer live in north Belfast and don't practice my religion). Can you be guilty of sectarian prejudice against your own? Who knows. Maybe. 

Hardy

So you continue to claim that your knowledge of the events is better than that of the quoted witness, simply because of his identity. And you maintain the bizarre stance of looking for sectarianism in the wrong place, given that the whole raison d'etre of the occasion is a sectarian demonstration.

Yep - that's sectarian and bigoted, no matter who you are.