Cavan vs. Armagh, Sun. May 19, Breffni Park, Ulster c'ship prelim

Started by Oraisteach, April 11, 2013, 01:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orchardman

Havn't posted about sunday til now and havn't read all the posts yet, but havn't seen ANYONE yet blame the players!
All grimbo bashing, have armagh people lost the plot? saying kernan and mckeever have been hung out to dry and
such things. PLayers are there to play, some of our boys have done a poor job of it all year. Granted some new lads
deserve time and proper guidance but it's time for lads to step, grimbo has taken all the blame on the chin himself so
fair play. Armagh are useless, end off. Maybe, just maybe we could get our act together and reach the last 8 at a push

DuffleKing

McGeeney is obviously a different scenario but it is surely ridiculous to suggest that county managers outside the top echelons are 'earning' rather than being reimbursed for their time and expense? Any of them I know of hold down full time jobs. Grimley would be one of the few that doesn't and certainly is reasonably reimbursed in my book if the renumerartion talked about is any way accurate.

Doubt if anyone outside the serial managers - who are largely found out and gone at this stage - are in it for money.

ranch

Quote from: Bensars on May 21, 2013, 04:34:41 PM
Yous would need to make yer mind up.  When it was POR it should have been grimley. Now Grimley stock has fallen its someone else within 2002 panel !

Reality is Armagh are second if not thrid tier from where they where 10 years ago. You have to be realistic as to what can be achieved. A favourable back door draw and yous could get a few days out but other than that forget it. Yous are there to make up the numbers now !

All this talk about Cross means nothing whatsoever.  Armagh are now like Carlow, one good clubteam and a poor county side.

I don't need to make my mind up, I was against Grimley's appointment from day one. If POR had to go then why bring in his no.2?

Of all those from the 2002 panel I'd prefer Aidan O'Rourke, but we had our chance last year to appoint him and have instead opted for Grimley. Only the powers that be know why. Outside of the 2002 panel there are still good options within the county.

Dont Matter

I think Justy is leaving Laois this Summer no matter what happens. Whether he's willing to take a step down and manage Armagh is another matter though.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

Throw ball

Quote from: Dont Matter on May 21, 2013, 07:21:26 PM
I think Justy is leaving Laois this Summer no matter what happens. Whether he's willing to take a step down and manage Armagh is another matter though.

Apart from the cheeky aside I think you should keep him.

armaghniac

QuoteWhether he's willing to take a step down and manage Armagh is another matter though.

Perhaps he'll bring that nice Billy boy with him.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: Bensars on May 21, 2013, 04:34:41 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on May 21, 2013, 04:29:05 PM
Quote from: ranch on May 21, 2013, 03:25:48 PM
This obsession with getting a member of the 02 team in to manage the team is ridiculous too. Why should Grimley decide who succeeds him? It should be the best man for the job, end of.

And I would suggest that the best man for the job could easily be found within that 2002 squad. There are any amount of candidates.

Yous would need to make yer mind up.  When it was POR it should have been grimley. Now Grimley stock has fallen its someone else within 2002 panel !

Reality is Armagh are second if not thrid tier from where they where 10 years ago. You have to be realistic as to what can be achieved. A favourable back door draw and yous could get a few days out but other than that forget it. Yous are there to make up the numbers now !

All this talk about Cross means nothing whatsoever.  Armagh are now like Carlow, one good clubteam and a poor county side.
An ultra successful club is not usually good for the county. Not enough variety.

Wildweasel74

G lads every man has to work, even if they have full time jobs, extra money managing a county team brings more more into a household. At the end of the day a family will always come be county, even though they may have given so much to that county in a playing capacity before hand,

mylestheslasher

Do Cavan get any credit in this postmortem? Dunne kicked some fine points and 8 from play, no matter how naive Armagh were is a superb tally, especially on his champ debut. Maybe ye are just not as good as you think ye are, I think we would have won even if you had a sweeper as I am sure Hyland had planned for that anyway. Good luck in the back door anyway, manys a team was reincarnated in it.

Wildweasel74

Oh theres no argument cavan were the better team, even if Armagh played different tactics, Cavan would have won. the worrying aspect from Cavan points of view was that there team looked unsure of themselves and their own ability before they realized Armagh were there for the taking. They should be too strong for Fermangh but Monaghan will not laid down and if Cavan are unsure of themselves early on, they could be in trouble no matter how good there players are.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 21, 2013, 08:47:25 PM
Oh theres no argument cavan were the better team, even if Armagh played different tactics, Cavan would have won. the worrying aspect from Cavan points of view was that there team looked unsure of themselves and their own ability before they realized Armagh were there for the taking. They should be too strong for Fermangh but Monaghan will not laid down and if Cavan are unsure of themselves early on, they could be in trouble no matter how good there players are.

I put that down to a lot of young lads getting nervous on a big day. That win will give them huge confidence and was so important to their development. I think Fermanagh will be a very tough game and it is 50:50. They are never easy bet, especially by Cavan.

T Fearon

From what I saw on Sunday I would expect Cavan to take care of Fermanagh.They have far more fire power,and a tighter defence.

Syferus

Fermanagh certainly have a tighter defense than Cavan. It'll be a close match.

tintin25

It's defo a 50/50 game. Most games between the two are generally tight affairs. Cavan have the better firepower up front with Dunne and Keating, but I think fermanagh have the better defender and possibly midfield also, esp with McKiernan out.

T Fearon

Will be greatly surprised if Fermanagh beat Cavan.The game under their belt and win against Armagh give Cavan a huge advantage,and even Armagh have better firepower than Fermanagh,and this was easily neutralised by Cavan.