Donegal on slippery slope?

Started by ck, April 08, 2013, 09:06:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Think this has backfired on Donegal.

Whether it serves it's intended purpose we must wait and see.

J70

What's its "intended purpose"?

J70

The case was not proven, as some of us said would be very hard to do. Those hinting at dirty tricks and malice should grow to f**k up.

heffo

Quote from: J70 on April 26, 2013, 12:41:11 PM

One thing is for sure, it wasn't to maintain the sporting nature of our games or ensure players didn't behave in an unsporting manner.

Funny how the County Secretary who has been singing like a canary for the last few weeks was so silent ahead of Connolly's hearing in 2011 after he was sent off when the Donegal player feigned injury.

Zulu

If there was something to it and it just couldn't be proven then it's just one of those things. If however, Donegal were lying to push an agenda of some sort (to perhaps gain a competitive edge???) as is being subtly suggested then their management have serious questions to answer and they need to answer them.

I'd love to know what's gone here as it's beginning to stink to high heaven.

Shamrock Shore

This is all very strange......

I cannot help thinking back to the infamous John Finn episode where Finn had his jaw broken by nobody.

Zulu

QuoteThose hinting at dirty tricks and malice should grow to f**k up.

Really? Do you know there wasn't dirty tricks?

As I said this is a bizarre case and something isn't right about it and all of signs are pointing to Donegal.

heffo

Quote from: J70 on April 26, 2013, 12:43:17 PM
Those hinting at dirty tricks and malice should grow to f**k up.

Exactly so ye should drop it

J70

Quote from: heffo on April 26, 2013, 12:44:46 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 26, 2013, 12:41:11 PM

One thing is for sure, it wasn't to maintain the sporting nature of our games or ensure players didn't behave in an unsporting manner.

Funny how the County Secretary who has been singing like a canary for the last few weeks was so silent ahead of Connolly's hearing in 2011 after he was sent off when the Donegal player feigned injury.

Yes, Boyle's dive was shameful.

Still doesn't tell us what you suppose the "intended purpose" of what happened here was.

J70

Quote from: Zulu on April 26, 2013, 12:47:38 PM

As I said this is a bizarre case and something isn't right about it and all of signs are pointing to Donegal.

Just so we're clear.... Donegal made up the bite, told two different referees, showed the Dublin medic, had McBrearty sent to Letterkenny General Hospital for treatment and then provided the non-existent evidence to the CCCC, who, on consideration, reckoned a bite did in fact take place. Any other groups that collaborated in this plot that was concocted to benefit Donegal in some yet to be revealed way?

J70

Quote from: heffo on April 26, 2013, 12:51:58 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 26, 2013, 12:43:17 PM
Those hinting at dirty tricks and malice should grow to f**k up.

Exactly so ye should drop it

I ain't the one casting aspersions.

AZOffaly

Maybe McBrearty hit O'Brien with his arm, and got teeth marks on his arm from it. A storm blew up, and McBrearty started to be embarassed, so refused to go along with the charge when it went to the Disciplinery process.

Or something.

BluestackBoy

Some of the conspiracy theories here are  very entertaining.

Look, the truth of the matter is that we will never know what actually happened during that day. Neither will we know what evidence the CCCC considered because they won't tell us.
Everything else is just smoke & mirrors & does nobody any favours.

It's over, Just move on everyone, there is nothing to see here.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

Fuzzman

What I feel abou the whole thing is there seems to be an attitude of sweep it under the carpet and nothing to see here from Dublin. I suppose what annoys me about that is that I know if it had happened in the Tyrone game next month it would get a lot more attention I feel.
The lack of clear statements coming our of Donegal seem to have caused the most confusion over the alleged incident and so causes people to then question did anything untoward really happen at all.
Could it have been someone nipped McBrearty whilst on the ground or in a melee and so he wasn't sure himself what happened?
Anyway I'm happy to stop stirring now as I know I'm making a lot of ye anxious with my digging.  ;D

From the Irish Times

"I'm a Gael and what means most to me is what the Gaelic Athletic Association does and the whole bedrock of the association was founded on volunteerism."
After 28 minutes and over 3,000 words, Dublin manager Jim Gavin finally uttered that relatively juicy quote at yesterday's press conference ahead of Sunday's league final against Tyrone.
It's a well-worn reporter's trick; leave the question that is bound to antagonise until the fag end of the session.
Some context is needed. In Ballybofey on April 7th the previous two All-Ireland champions were slugging it out when an incident may or may not have occurred.
Donegal footballer Paddy McBrearty claims he was bitten. An investigation followed with the Central Competitions Control Committee subsequently recommending, on April 17th, a three-match suspension for a Dublin player who may or may not have appeared before the Central Hearings Committee last night.
The player involved is not the issue, rather the time lapse in dealing with the situation (it certainly didn't help the accused that Luis Suarez decided to chomp down on Branislav Ivanovic's arm last Sunday and that the, albeit professional, English FA had the case heard and decreed upon the Uruguayan within four days).

Disciplinary structures
The suggestion of introducing a citing commissioner, similar to rugby, prompted GAA director general Páraic Duffy to this week publicly refuse to compare the association's disciplinary structures with professional sporting bodies. Yesterday, when queried about the fact almost three weeks have elapsed since the alleged incident without a hearing (despite the recommended CCCC ban), Gavin rowed in behind Duffy's stance.
"The big thing with the Gaelic Athletic Association is that we're all volunteers, from most of the administrators to the players and the coaching and managerial staff," said Gavin. "So they are giving freely of their time for the process, so that just takes as long as it takes.
"Whatever about other sporting organisations that are professional, the way they do their business is of no real concern of mine.
"I'm a Gael," Jim Gavin proudly reminded the room, "and what means most to me is what the Gaelic Athletic Association does and the whole bedrock of the association was founded on volunteerism.
"It has been in the past and it always will be, and as I said I concur with the director general's statement that he's satisfied with the process and so am I."
More news on that ongoing disciplinary process is expected today.
Gavin will undoubtedly be asked about the issue once again after Sunday's National League final but he refused to comment on it yesterday, except when dismissing the notion that it has been a distraction for his players.
"Within Dublin, there are lots of distractions and as a player I would have been acutely aware of all the distractions that there are. Players do get accustomed to just getting inside the tent and focusing on the game."

No clue
That was the height of yesterday's 8am gathering, Gavin giving no clue to the make-up of his team. The strong silent type approach.
Tyrone, naturally, came up in conversation. "Mickey Harte feels numbers on jerseys are irrelevant, is that your philosophy as well?"
"It is, yeah. If I had my way, I'd list the team alphabetically but I think you might be disappointed."
"It's a game of football. In our sessions, there are specific things that defenders and forwards will do. But, generally, they all practise their score-taking in a session. I certainly believe that players who play in the full back line should be as confident in taking a score as those in the forward division."
Gavin was asked to elaborate on his decision to give International Rules captain, Stephen Cluxton, the Dublin armband.
"When Stephen joined the squad [IN 2001]I would have been still on it. . . I was very impressed with his attitude even then as a young guy.
"I was very impressed with how he handled himself as a captain of the compromise rules team. He sets very high standards for himself, both on and off the field, and he has continued to do that. That's what I want of a captain."
And that's what he ha

Zulu

Quote from: J70 on April 26, 2013, 01:00:20 PM
Quote from: Zulu on April 26, 2013, 12:47:38 PM

Just so we're clear.... Donegal made up the bite, told two different referees, showed the Dublin medic, had McBrearty sent to Letterkenny General Hospital for treatment and then provided the non-existent evidence to the CCCC, who, on consideration, reckoned a bite did in fact take place. Any other groups that collaborated in this plot that was concocted to benefit Donegal in some yet to be revealed way?

As I said, this is a strange incident. But if there was a bite, medical professionals believed the marks seen on McBrearty were consistent with a bite, an individual was accused of causing the mark by biting and the CCCC felt he should be suspended as a result then why was the appeal successful?

I know GAA discipline can be a strange fish but Donegal made an accusation and then said little else once the storm was created. The accusation was a pretty serious one to make and I'd be interested to see if Donegal express disappointment with someone biting their player yet receiving no punishment.