Donegal on slippery slope?

Started by ck, April 08, 2013, 09:06:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: J70 on April 18, 2013, 01:42:23 PM
I honestly don't know how it came out. McGuinness didn't say anything about it, beyond a vague reference to some untoward behaviour on the pitch. Donegal officials did comment that the referee had been informed, but I've no idea if that was how it first hit the papers. All it takes is a player or backroom member or hospital employee to say it to one of his mates and next thing its on the internet and then the media. But regardless, does it matter? The issue is the alleged bite, not the revelation.

Beyond that, the photos and medical report must have clearly shown a bite, otherwise they'd hardly be recommending a ban, would they? Or maybe I'm overestimating the abilities of the CCCC.
Yip, its hard to have a really good debate without knowing all the facts!

My guess is they've sent the picture that shows the injury. They've got a report from a doctor that says either its definitely a bite, its consistent with a bite or it could be a bite. And I also guess they've got witness statement(s) from someone other than McBrearty (some other Donegal player or official) pointing the finger at the alleged culprit.

I don't think they could have any more than that.  Is that enough to "convict"? Are witness statements from non-neutral parties admissable?

If they've less than that (e.g. no witness statements), then it would be hard to see the suspension hold up.

Fuzzman

I really can't get my head around people's attitude on this thread from the first day it was announced. Many seem to have thought the whole thing was somehow made up to make Dublin look bad. If there is evidence that somebody left bite marks then this is indeed terrible and should not be swept under the carpet.

I have good friends from both counties and have no more preference for Donegal over Dublin as they've taken over our status in Ulster of late, fair play to them.

However, lets look at this another way
Lets say this Tyrone v Kerry and TV coverage shows Ricey McMenamin biting Gooch as they lie on the ground as the ball goes past them both. Its clear to see the bite and we're all totally disgusted by the action, even us biased Tyronies.

So the difference here is none of us have saw the evidence of the bite marks nor did we see the action but from the CCC's ban and statement then it certainly sounds like the alleged biting action did happen but as yet we are unsure if there is proof of who done it.
We can only assume the proof of the photos show definite bite marks.
Are we agreed so far or are some still questioning this?

So to me Dublin are appealing it probably cos they know (or hope) there is no video evidence showing any of their players doing the biting act. Yes maybe someone from Donegal are saying they saw it but its only one person's word against another I suppose.

With Tyrone and other counties wriggling out of many cases with no definite evidence to charge one player then Dublin are probably hoping that they can be let off as well as no proof of the incident is forth coming. Am I right to say that its not strong enough evidence that a Donegal player or fan witnessed the incident?

All I'm saying is surely this is gonna look much worse for Dublin and I can't see how it will look bad for Donegal as they are not the perpetrators. All they did was document what happened and reported it to the ref. Are we really trying to defend the biting action by playing it down and saying its not typical of this Dublin team so lets sweep it under the carpet. If it had been Ricey or Ciaran MCKeever would we have the same attitude. I think not. 

heffo

Quote from: yellowcard on April 18, 2013, 01:25:10 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 18, 2013, 12:58:20 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on April 18, 2013, 12:50:27 PM
If he bit, as appears likely then he deserves a ban. Neither side comes out of this well however. The Dublin player for the alleged bite and the Donegal team for crying to the media. Dozens of incidents take place on the field of play but its a sort of unwritten rule that what happens on the field stays on the field. If McBrearty had suffered a bad injury I could undestand it.

Biting is a routine occurrence on the GAA field?

Did Donegal go to the media? Or was it leaked? How do you keep something like this quiet in the days of twitter and facebook etc.?

Well you know more about it than I do, if Donegal didnt go to the media then I stand corrected and maybe I'm being slightly unfair on Donegal here.

If McBrearty suffered a bad injury then the Dublin player deserves whatever he gets. However when you compare this case to the Paul O'Connell one from last weekend and consider the respective punishments there is definitely serious double standards in applying disciplinary judgement between GAA and rugby. Kearney was hospitalised by a kick in the head by O'Connell who gets off scot free despite video evidence and here a Dublin player gets a 3 match ban despite, to the best of my knowledge, no evidence.

I honestly don't know how it came out. McGuinness didn't say anything about it, beyond a vague reference to some untoward behaviour on the pitch. Donegal officials did comment that the referee had been informed, but I've no idea if that was how it first hit the papers. All it takes is a player or backroom member or hospital employee to say it to one of his mates and next thing its on the internet and then the media. But regardless, does it matter? The issue is the alleged bite, not the revelation.

Beyond that, the photos and medical report must have clearly shown a bite, otherwise they'd hardly be recommending a ban, would they? Or maybe I'm overestimating the abilities of the CCCC.

A well travelled member of the Donegal mgt team has been very active behind the scenes over the last week or so on this issue.

LeoMc

Quote from: heffo on April 18, 2013, 04:01:41 PM

A well travelled member of the Donegal mgt team has been very active behind the scenes over the last week or so on this issue.

I don't doubt that but to what ends?
They are not likely to meet Dublin in the next 3 months until the QF's at least so they are only stirring up a bit of ill feeling ahead of a potential clash.

muppet

This could be the early days of a rivalry that will be over-hyped in the media and chat forums. A bit like Tyrone and Kerry. But it is a bad pace to start.
MWWSI 2017

J70

If he bit, as appears likely then he deserves a ban. Neither side comes out of this well however. The Dublin player for the alleged bite and the Donegal team for crying to the media. Dozens of incidents take place on the field of play but its a sort of unwritten rule that what happens on the field stays on the field. If McBrearty had suffered a bad injury I could undestand it.

Did Donegal go to the media? Or was it leaked? How do you keep something like this quiet in the days of twitter and facebook etc.?

Well you know more about it than I do, if Donegal didnt go to the media then I stand corrected and maybe I'm being slightly unfair on Donegal here.

If McBrearty suffered a bad injury then the Dublin player deserves whatever he gets. However when you compare this case to the Paul O'Connell one from last weekend and consider the respective punishments there is definitely serious double standards in applying disciplinary judgement between GAA and rugby. Kearney was hospitalised by a kick in the head by O'Connell who gets off scot free despite video evidence and here a Dublin player gets a 3 match ban despite, to the best of my knowledge, no evidence.

And...?

squire_in_navy_slacks

Desperate stuff if true, and it will be dealt with by the DCB............................................. However mcguinnes really is a spiteful pig

heffo

Quote from: J70 on April 18, 2013, 05:04:42 PM

And...?

You queried how it came out.

J70

Quote from: heffo on April 18, 2013, 05:10:29 PM

And...?

It was national news the next day. Was Rory Gallagher the source? And what does his activities over the past week got to do with how it made the news?

Why does it matter though? Unless the CCCC is moved by very flimsy evidence and ill-supported accusations, there was a bite.

squire_in_navy_slacks

heffo

Quote from: J70 on April 18, 2013, 05:24:16 PM
Quote from: heffo on April 18, 2013, 05:10:29 PM

And...?

It was national news the next day. Was Rory Gallagher the source? And what does his activities over the past week got to do with how it made the news?

Why does it matter though? Unless the CCCC is moved by very flimsy evidence and ill-supported accusations, there was a bite.

I've no interest in getting involved in the ins and outs.

orangeman

Let due process take its course.

The famous case a few months ago in Ulster made some very poor headlines for one of those alleged to have been responsible and who received a long proposed sanction but who was completely exhonerated at a hearing.

If he is proven guilty let him take what's been proposed. If he requests a hearing and gets off, fair enough too.

But at least let's wait for the facts to emerge instead of all the speculation about why the CCC did what they did.

haranguerer

Ffs squire, heffo, wise up. Do you really doubt it happened? I don't. It could have been any co, but it was Dublin. You're doing yourselves no favours hedging round the issue giving out about how it came out. So f**king what how it came out? At least pretend to be able to be objective, if situations were reversed itd be the worst thing ever happened in the history of the GAA. Hound (I think it was) aright then, if 3 months only = 3 matches or whatever, then I've changed my mind, ban him for at least the rest of the season. It's a scummy dangerous act that deserves it

Declan

QuoteLet due process take its course.

The famous case a few months ago in Ulster made some very poor headlines for one of those alleged to have been responsible and who received a long proposed sanction but who was completely exhonerated at a hearing.

If he is proven guilty let him take what's been proposed. If he requests a hearing and gets off, fair enough too.

But at least let's wait for the facts to emerge instead of all the speculation about why the CCC did what they did.

+1

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 18, 2013, 03:28:16 PM
I have good friends from both counties and have no more preference for Donegal over Dublin as they've taken over our status in Ulster of late, fair play to them.
...most hateful team in Ulster - nah , thats still you lot !!
;)

if McBrearty is making it up then he is a wnaker.
However, by all accounts people have seen his 'mark' and maybe this is how it got out to the media.

It is irelevent about other sports and whether actions were accidential or intended, this is an incident that if ture, needs a punishment of a couple of months that affects club and county.
there is no place in the game for this kind of siht.