Last County to win an AI and not in Division One

Started by From the Bunker, March 09, 2013, 09:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Just wondering who were the last County to win an AI and not be in Division One that year? Apologies if this was covered before!

Throw ball

I know Armagh were in division 2 when they won in 2002. Not sure about since. Cork maybe a couple of years ago?

From the Bunker

Quote from: Throw ball on March 09, 2013, 09:10:52 PM
I know Armagh were in division 2 when they won in 2002. Not sure about since. Cork maybe a couple of years ago?

Cork were League Champions in 2012, 2011, 2010, and div 2 in 2009. So it looks like Armagh.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Two division 2 sides contested the final that year.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

GalwayBayBoy

ross4life

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 09, 2013, 10:30:15 PM
Galway were division 3 in 1998.

From what i remember Galway were div 3 in 1997 then the following year the league was all changed to four even groups & every team had the opportunity to win league (unlikely nowadays).
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: ross4life on March 09, 2013, 11:12:30 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 09, 2013, 10:30:15 PM
Galway were division 3 in 1998.

From what i remember Galway were div 3 in 1997 then the following year the league was all changed to four even groups & every team had the opportunity to win league (unlikely nowadays).

Who knows? I can barely remember the league format from 2 years go let alone 12. Have read a few times though that Galway were division 3 in 98. I was at a couple of those games and I can't even remember myself.

ranch

In 2002 Armagh were in Division 2A. Lost one game in the league proper away to Kerry before losing to Laois in the Division 2 semi final. Kerry then went on to win Division 2 I think.

T Fearon

Down reached the AIF in 2010 from Division2,albeit they had gained promotion,

stew

Quote from: ranch on March 09, 2013, 11:42:11 PM
In 2002 Armagh were in Division 2A. Lost one game in the league proper away to Kerry before losing to Laois in the Division 2 semi final. Kerry then went on to win Division 2 I think.

I mind that game against Laois very well, big Joe and Grimley almost came to blows and it was possibly the worst league performance I had ever seen an Armagh team have, two of the mates walked out ten minutes before the end, I stayed and was amazed that a team that talented could get two shades o shite bate out of them by Laois.

A few months later I was on a plane and watched the same team beat Kerry in the AIF, pure unadulterated joy that will never be equaled for me!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

ranch

Quote from: stew on March 10, 2013, 02:01:51 AM

I mind that game against Laois very well, big Joe and Grimley almost came to blows and it was possibly the worst league performance I had ever seen an Armagh team have, two of the mates walked out ten minutes before the end, I stayed and was amazed that a team that talented could get two shades o shite bate out of them by Laois.

A few months later I was on a plane and watched the same team beat Kerry in the AIF, pure unadulterated joy that will never be equaled for me!

Where was that Laois game played? It's doing my head in here, just can't remember.

I remember in 2003 they beat us again in a league semi at Croke Park, 2002 wasn't held there though as the re-development was just coming to an end.

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: ranch on March 10, 2013, 02:52:32 AM

Where was that Laois game played? It's doing my head in here, just can't remember.

I remember in 2003 they beat us again in a league semi at Croke Park, 2002 wasn't held there though as the re-development was just coming to an end.

Pearse Park

ranch

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on March 10, 2013, 02:56:45 AM

Pearse Park

Were you at it?

I remember Armagh playing home games at Carrickcruppen that season, think we played Limerick at home and put in a great performance. Also remember we played Louth at home too.

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: ranch on March 10, 2013, 03:14:12 AM
Quote from: Armaghgeddon on March 10, 2013, 02:56:45 AM

Pearse Park

Were you at it?

I remember Armagh playing home games at Carrickcruppen that season, think we played Limerick at home and put in a great performance. Also remember we played Louth at home too.

An incident happened with my uncle after the game, which is why I remember the venue. Could have it mixed up but 90% sure it was Pearse and yes we did play Limerick at Carrickcruppen and Louth.

comethekingdom

I guess there's not much of a chance of The Kingdom winning the AI this yr from division 2? :'(