Oisin

Started by All of a Sludden, February 24, 2013, 10:36:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

All of a Sludden

Crossmaglen star Oisin McConville announces retirement

Crossmaglen star Oisin McConville has brought a glittering career to an end by announcing his retirement.
The 37-year-old former Armagh forward said it was the right time to quit after Crossmaglen's All-Ireland club semi-final defeat last weekend.
McConville won the All-Ireland title with Armagh in 2002 and his county career included two All Stars.
He won six All-Ireland club titles as part of an all-conquering Cross team, in which he played for 20 years.
Play media

Crossmaglen's 2-7 to 1-9 defeat by St Brigid's in the All-Ireland semi-final was McConville's last game for the Armagh club.
McConville has also made headlines off the pitch after speaking publicly about his battle with a gambling addiction.
His trophy-laden career also includes seven Ulster Championships with Armagh and 10 Ulster club titles.
"For my own personal reasons it is the right time - I have been picking up injuries and different things like that," added McConville.
"I'm happy with the decision and at peace with the fact that I'm not going to be playing football any more.
"I have had an unbelievable time playing gaelic football and I've won so much, but for me it was much more than that - it was my life for so many years.
"It is going to be hard, and there is going to be a big void but I have plenty of things to replace it."
McConville's plans for the future include coaching, while he has ruled out an early move into GAA management.
He said he could become a manager in the long-term, but only if it was with Crossmaglen or Armagh.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

yellowcard

Most successful club player of all time and at his peak was one of the top forwards in the country. He was one of the most clinical and coolest finishers under pressure I can remember both from play but especially from free kicks.

I'm sure he would love to have bowed out with another AI medal but I think he is going at the right time for himself.

StGallsGAA

Mighty career indeed.  Does he have a minor AI medal too?

rodney trotter

Great player, big loss last week going off after 20 minutes.

I had started a thread, hadn't seen this one.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: StGallsGAA on February 24, 2013, 11:22:22 AM
Mighty career indeed.  Does he have a minor AI medal too?

Super player despite torturing Derry for manys a year! Was the recent AI minor not Armaghs first title??

orangeman

Some player.

Some career.

Had Oisin not gone off injured last week Cross would be 3 in a row.

That's the influence he had on the team.

ziggysego

Oisin has to be hailed as one of the games all time greats. A fantastic footballer for his club Crossmaglen and county Armagh. Always found that little extra to make the different, where others could.

Like orangeman, I think he was the crucial differences in Crossmaglen's semi-final.

Enjoy your retirement Oisin, but I hope to see you in some other guise within the GAA family.
Testing Accessibility

Tony Baloney

A proper legend in a world where that descriptor is used far too often. Unreal record and a born winner. He could never be accused of standing on the shoulders of giants.

God14

The man was pure class, absolute clinker of a footballer. Am sure he will remain involved in football in some capacity other than punditry (of which he is sh#te) ... I really hope he goes down the coaching route as he has soo much to offer the youth. What a player, what a career. Always carried himself with dignity and humility too. Natural born footballer & a winner at that
Regardless of the Tyrone / Armagh rivalry Oisin as a footballer & a man is one I will always respect.

brokencrossbar1

I have been privileged to have been a friend, team mate and most recently a coach alongside Oisin.  For nearly 30 years (with a few years of a break in between) I have worked alongside him and he is the most gifted player I have ever played with. Whatever about personal bias I would rate him second only to Peter Canavan in terms of game winning influence over the last 30 years. 

Here is where it all began in Mosney,sorry it's not very big but I'm sure Stephenite will remember this weekend!  He is the captain beside the goalkeeper.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Best to him, an embodiment of pure class, and how Cross will miss him.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

stew

I think he is going out at the right time, I saw him play in the National League away in Cork as a 19 year old and he was fantastic that day, and on many, may days after that.

I am sure he will become an excellent manager and I thank him for all the joy he brought me and mine over the years, one of our all time greats and probably the best club footballer of all time.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

emmetryan

Message to defenders from outside Crossmaglen: It's safe to come out again.

All the best to Oisín. An exceptional talent.
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

Syferus

A lot more than a season was lost in Mullingar last Saturday.

It was a privilege to see him play again, if only for a moment. The Hall of Fame beckons.

charlieTully

the word legend is used too often these days but it is apt when referring to McConville even if he is from Armagh.