USFC - 2/6/27 - Derry v Down

Started by theticklemister, January 09, 2013, 05:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brick Tamlin

So nobody here knows who the rest of the management team are then???

Bearly on loose

No wobbler the team that lined out yesterday was the same one that was in the match programme!

On the game itself i too thought King shaded it over McKernan and Polie for man of the match.  He bossed the middle in the air and his tackling/workrate was immense.  Although he may not neceassarily be the person you want in possession, i thought at times when we had free kicks in our own half or around the middle it was king who would show himself to collect and give a simple ball.  This was particulaly the case late in the first half when things weren't going down's way and i felt some other players were maybe reluctant to make themselves available.  McKernan played shocking well too and 4 points is a great contribution, maybe had two other attempts when shooting may not have been the best optiion but sure i suppose he cant score them all. 

Polie's second half and direct running really helped to open Derry up.   

Two very enjoyable games and victories.  Must say i thought the whole atmosphere around Derry regarding both sets of supporters was excellent.  Great day.

DownFanatic

Quote from: DuffleKing on June 03, 2013, 09:26:11 AM
Quote from: DownFanatic on June 02, 2013, 11:02:42 PM
Quote from: Dont Matter on June 02, 2013, 09:22:11 PM
When I left earlier Derry were well in control. They announced the score down the pitch and I couldn't believe it. What were Derry at in the second half? Or were Down just so good.
Seen Down in a challenge game recently and that King lad is some animal.

Former super heavyweight boxer and MMA fighter.

Enjoyable day out today with Minors and Seniors both winning.

King, McKernan and Poland outstanding for the Seniors. We will give Donegal a game of it but it won't be enough. We have the necessary to make the All Ireland Quarter Finals.

6ft 5" Tom Grimley was sublime at midfield for the Minors. Not only can he field but he is very agile going forward aswell.

Carryduff's Sean McGonigle is a tidy playmaker at centre half while the full forward line of Quinn, McGrady and Doyle got 1-08 from play.

Big day out in Clones awaits!

Armagh's Tom Grimley?

The North Down's Gold Coast Tom Grimley. Although I am led to believe he has Armagh connections.

southdown

Recorded the BBC coverage. 2 weeks in a row they have pundits on from the team playing who "should be on the team" but are out of favour.  McHugh was backing up Mugsy's inclusion in the Tyrone team last week. Yesterday Paddy Bradley was on and had a few pops at McIvor.

What Antrim/Monaghan start with a grievance will be given air time during the highlights show next week ???  I can think of a few already...

theticklemister

Get the McGourty clan on ; that would be hilarious!!

bcarrier

The best Down performance since the 2010 AIQF.

Our defence still looks weak but was encouraged by the new faces. Is Niall Madine Mickey's son?

emmetryan

Hi lads,

Video analysis now up of how Down used the left corner to create goal chances
http://action81.com/blog/?p=7304

Emmet
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

Orior

Is it possible to watch the match again on BBC iPlayer?

I had a looksee and cannot find it.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

tbrick18

Fair play to Down, better team won.
Derry will be disappointed they didnt make there dominance in the first half count on the scoreboard more but a better team would have.
Very attacking game of football, however, defensively both teams were naive.
Down will have to improve considerably to be any threat to Donegal.
Hopefully we'll get a lucky draw in the qualifiers to get us started on a bit of a run.

cornerback

Tickle, may as well just change the title of this...

DennistheMenace

Where will this be played? Bit of a farce really.

thewobbler

Aristo 60

3 on Eoin Bradley this time...

DennistheMenace

Yup agree, there should be a rule against this happening in this round at least.

Suspect both teams will be stronger for this game than the first game.

snoopdog

I know Derry were drew out first but hopefully this game will be played in Newry. GAA cant expect Down fans to travel all the way to Derry again.
With the Distance for either supporters a sunday afternoon game would suit best id imagine.
this draw should not have happened, the old rule should still apply, you cant play the team you have alreay played in the 1st round of the championship.
Derry will be well up for this as they probably feel they could have taken Down last day out. While Down will be hoping to keep better control of a brilliant Eoin Bradley. Its a tough one considering the other teams in the draw. I was hoping to avoid Derry and Tyrone tbh.
Will they have a double header with the hurlers? Common sense so prob not