What were your GAA highlights of the year ?

Started by seafoid, December 04, 2012, 03:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Beating the Dubs in the league and the comeback against Monaghan in Armagh were the only highlights for me. The rest is pretty forgettable...apart from the rain in Mullingar when we played Tipp. I'll never forget that >:(
The Aristocrat Years

Syferus

Quote from: seafoid on December 05, 2012, 10:02:24 AM
I forgot about Donegal beating Kerry

I suppose for Donegal people being Kerry was a huge 'we've made it' moment but it'd been obvious for months previous to that game that Kerry were staggering around waiting for someone to put an end their season, they certainly weren't All-Ireland contenders.

I was at that game and it wasn't anything special in terms of a contest, Kerry being choked out of Donegal's half and being reduced to wild long balls that Star probably couldn't have reached if he were 10 feet tall. The Kerry 'comeback' was little more than gloss for the history books.

And yet it took the flukiest goal imaginable for Donegal to win a game where they were so far and away the better team. I guess it's emotionally tough to get that first one over Kerry.

sans pessimism

Quote from: Syferus on December 04, 2012, 04:32:38 PM
It was a fantastic year for the Ros in general but the u21 AI final against Dublin showcased everything that is good about football, the u21 grade and Roscommon itself. Even in a losing effort it was a memorable day and a day to be proud of your county.

Outside of that the Mayo-Dublin game was prehaps the most perfect day I've every attended Croke Park. The weather was beautiful, the atmosphere was unbeatable (and having not attending many big Dublin games I found the Dubs to be fantastic lads in general) and the game was a see-saw match full of scoring and momentum changes. Some people said the other semi was better but I think this one was the no-contest game of the year.
;D
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Syferus on December 05, 2012, 05:37:08 PM

I suppose for Donegal people being Kerry was a huge 'we've made it' moment but it'd been obvious for months previous to that game that Kerry were staggering around waiting for someone to put an end their season, they certainly weren't All-Ireland contenders.

I was at that game and it wasn't anything special in terms of a contest, Kerry being choked out of Donegal's half and being reduced to wild long balls that Star probably couldn't have reached if he were 10 feet tall. The Kerry 'comeback' was little more than gloss for the history books.

And yet it took the flukiest goal imaginable for Donegal to win a game where they were so far and away the better team. I guess it's emotionally tough to get that first one over Kerry.

Kerry were All Ireland contenders and will be again next year. It normally takes a very good team to knock them out of the championship. If Kerry had beaten Donegal they would have faced Cork,Mayo when is the last time either of those sides have beaten Kerry in Croke park championship football?

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

GalwayBayBoy

Football: Absolute dung. Even hammering Roscommon up in the Hyde couldn't save yet another miserable year. Each year I think they've reached the bottom but they still manage to surprise me. And not in a good way.

Hurling: A great year really but just came up narrowly short at the final hurdle. Some great matches and moments along the way but still a disappointment once you get so close to not come away with the big prize.

ross4life

Roscommon seniors - win over Armagh the only highlight. (2013 will hopefully bring more highlights)

Roscommon U21s -  Reached All Ireland final for the first time in 30 years at this level, Connacht champions (2nd U21 title in three years first time we ever won U21,Minor Connacht titles in the same year & the small matter of beating Mayo for the 3rd year in a row.)

Roscommon minors - Connacht league,championship back to back titles for the first time ever. (June 2010 since we lost minor game in Connacht.)

St Brigids - Connacht champions (three in row without a doubt the kings of Connacht club football)

In Hurling our U21s won the B All Ireland & the minors reached the All Ireland final.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 05, 2012, 06:25:24 PM

Kerry were All Ireland contenders and will be again next year. It normally takes a very good team to knock them out of the championship. If Kerry had beaten Donegal they would have faced Cork,Mayo when is the last time either of those sides have beaten Kerry in Croke park championship football?

If Kerry win the All-Ireland in 2013 it will be one of the most remarkable they have ever won.

Out of the established top five teams they are the only ones on a continued downwards slope and the lack of retirements, an inside-the-set-up and very young manager and young players who in the main have yet to show there's any reason to think they will be able to replace the old guard without a drop-off overall tells me that while Kerry will still be a threat to most they won't be much more than that until they spend a couple seasons developing a new team no dependent on the old legs that won so many matches in the previous decade. Even if that process starts this year I don't see how they will be able to be considered anything more than a dark horse.

Kerry as the dark horse. Now there's a novelty.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Syferus on December 05, 2012, 08:01:48 PM

If Kerry win the All-Ireland in 2013 it will be one of the most remarkable they have ever won.

Out of the established top five teams they are the only ones on a continued downwards slope and the lack of retirements, an inside-the-set-up and very young manager and young players who in the main have yet to show there's any reason to think they will be able to replace the old guard without a drop-off overall tells me that while Kerry will still be a threat to most they won't be much more than that until they spend a couple seasons developing a new team no dependent on the old legs that won so many matches in the previous decade. Even if that process starts this year I don't see how they will be able to be considered anything more than a dark horse.

A dark horse is a team not known and becomes an unexpected success. That rules Kerry out immediately.

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 05, 2012, 08:15:01 PM
Quote from: Syferus on December 05, 2012, 08:01:48 PM

A dark horse is a team not known and becomes an unexpected success. That rules Kerry out immediately.

Kerry winning the 2013 championship would be a very unexpected success, no matter what any bookie tells you.

Just like Tyrone before them, that Kerry team has seen its best days and 2009 will likely end up being most of the established players' last AI medal.

Anyone with four teams head-and-shoulders better than them while still posing something of a threat to those teams can be considered a dark horse in the All-Ireland championship. To win the All-Ireland Kerry will have to beat Cork (perhaps twice) and almost surely another one or two of the teams that already beat the current Kerry panel in the last year and a half. It bears repeating that Kerry have been found wanted in knockout football against Dublin, Mayo, Cork and Donegal since September 2011. Combine that with their age profile and it's incredibly hard to make the case they won't be finding those opponents very tough prospects in 2013.

fitzroyalty

Little can eclipse hardstation's phantom twitter account.

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

blanketattack

Ard-Rí

Quote from: thejuice on December 05, 2012, 12:21:27 AM
Beating Kildare certainly put a smile on face. It felt like we could still play football despite all that is wrong with the county set up.

Enjoyed being a Leinster final again against the Dubs, despite the result it was good to make their acquaintance once again at a final stage.

The final was good too. Enjoyed Donegal winning it, the team and the athmosphere they brought was refreshing.

Didn't get to see a lot of hurling but great to see Galway starting to show something for all their underage success.

I more or less agree with all this, not too put out by the Leinster Final result given the performances of recent years, starting to feel like we might have a team again. Banty gone and I guess that's for the better, who knows what happens from here.

On a less narrow perspective, I enjoyed Maigh Eo's fine win against Dubh Linn, and the Gaillimh hurlers were immense this year despite not winning it out. Seánie Johnson transfer a bit of a dark spot on the year, but there was some very nice football played and for all the talk of Donegal's negative tactics they won the final with a high ball into the full forward line. And they're a sound bunch of lads and they deserved the win, so some justice was served. And I think as usual more or less everyone can reflect and say onwards and upwards from here!
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

rrhf

Highlights
Donegal winning Sam
Tyrone beating Meath national league.
20 000 gaels supporting the Michaela match.
Railway cup final.   

Lowpoints
Dromid Pearses and their utter lack of class following their AISF defeat. 
Alleged Racist comments used against Armagh players and Cross players.
The Kerry man getting Mc Guigan sent off and the general atmosphere around that game in Killarney.