What were your GAA highlights of the year ?

Started by seafoid, December 04, 2012, 03:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Beating Kildare certainly put a smile on face. It felt like we could still play football despite all that is wrong with the county set up.

Enjoyed being a Leinster final again against the Dubs, despite the result it was good to make their acquaintance once again at a final stage.

The final was good too. Enjoyed Donegal winning it, the team and the athmosphere they brought was refreshing.

Didn't get to see a lot of hurling but great to see Galway starting to show something for all their underage success.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

seafoid

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on December 04, 2012, 09:01:55 PM
Not surprisingly, Loughgiel winning the All ireland.  ;D
That was fantastic. Great to see Antrim hurling in Croker on the big day and winning. 

johnneycool

Quote from: seafoid on December 05, 2012, 07:45:32 AM
Quote from: Seamroga in exile on December 04, 2012, 09:01:55 PM
Not surprisingly, Loughgiel winning the All ireland.  ;D
That was fantastic. Great to see Antrim hurling in Croker on the big day and winning.

The bodies win was something to behold, made us nordie hurling types feel for just a while that we weren't absolutely useless at the sport, for a while anyway.

Galway's absolute demolition of Kilkenny in the Leinster final blew a bit of life into hurling over the summer even if those pesky Cats showed in the end why they're an exceptional team.

AQMP

Loughgiel winning the AI Club Hurling
Antrim's win over Galway in the Qualifiers (apologies seafoid)
Aisling Reilly winning the World Handball title (beating St Paul's clubmate Fiona Shannon in the final) and later the US Open.
Antrim Ladies winning the AI Junior Football

OK, outside Antrim:

Michael Murphy's goal in the football final

and outside Ulster:

Joe Canning's goal in the drawn hurling final (thus making up with seafoid)

seafoid

Paul Callanan

Apart from all the Galway hurling memories already mentioned I'll rememeber this as the year of "Jimmy's winning matches", the best GAA song since the mid '90's ( I'm talking about "The Joe dooley Song" and "The Purple and Gold" obviously ).

Bingo

Mine would be all club related, mainly to our minor team that won the championship. A team you'd not have backed to win much at start of the year but grew into a team that refused to be beaten, they turned a few defeats into victories against the odds at times.

Declan

trasna man

Aristo 60

Running on the field after Down beating Monaghan and seeing my arse on the box that night.

mouview

Going to Celtic Park, Derry, for the first time on a cold, rainy Sunday afternoon and being one of a few diehards to witness Galway upset the odds and beat the hosts in the opening round of the league. Good football and  good crack with the lads. Sadly, this was nearly as good as it got for the footballers all year.

In hurling, JC's performance in the Leinster final; a timely reminder of the force of nature he can be with the proper support around him.

ONeill

The Dromid v Derrytresk semi. It represented all what was good in gaelic football. High catching, long kicking and played in a gentlemanly manner. No play-acting or sneaky jabs were even considered. The losing team were gallant in their acceptance whilst the winners were gracious in victory. Both sets of fans mixed merrily and hearty laughs were exchanged at the final whistle. Friends made for life. A real advertisement for the game and set the tone for another year of fine sporting attitudes across the country.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

NaomhBridAbĂș

Kilkenny v Galway...first game was lethal
Donegal v Mayo...Doneagl winning
Tyrone v Armagh...beating Armagh
Eglish v carrickmore at the launch of Pairc Chormaic.
Ardboe v Donaghmore (Niall McKenna was lethal)
the first 11 minutes of Crossmaglen v Kilcoo...Cross were lethal
Tyrones New sponsorship deal

in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

stew

Cross winning the club AI & the Armagh ladies winning an AI was pretty special.

the county team was a nightmare however the right man is at the helm and hopefully next years answer to this question will be a lot better.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.