Ulster U21 Championship 2013

Started by cavanlad, October 11, 2012, 09:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drici

Quote from: Itchy on October 12, 2012, 10:43:35 AM
Quote from: rodney trotter on October 12, 2012, 10:10:49 AM

He is playing with Killeshandra Juniors now.

I'm from the same Parish .

Does it really have green and lovely lanes?

Hardy

It's twelve long miles around the lake to get to Cavan town.

tommysmith

Quote from: Hardy on October 12, 2012, 10:59:26 AM

And Twelve miles back.

theticklemister

They took me to Cootehill in a cart in a cart, they took me to Cootehill in a cart

Itchy

Quote from: Hardy on October 12, 2012, 10:59:26 AM

It is, but only 8 for me. Its about 40 miles to Meath thankfully ;)

Westside

Yeah McGovern is over age, this was his last year u21.

Connor Smith was poor against Donegal, and I thought it was Clarke and Shankey who made Smith look beter than he was last year with the Minors in the full back line. He is playing with Killeshandra Juniors now.

Gerard Smith from Lavey should make it onto the team, classy player, probaly one of the better Minors against Donegal and was very good in the Minor Club final last week

I'm from the same Parish and the truth is that he declared half way through the season that he wasn't going to play football anymore. He played junior as it suited him to do so. However, I thought he was outstanding for the minors the year they won ulster and I think you are doing him a dis-service saying that he was carried by the others. Last year McCabe made a brainless decision leaving him at FB on a player much taller than him, that was obvious from the throw in. He is a small corner back with serious potential but his attitude is in question. If he doesn't man up and commit to football he'll just be another in a long line of wasters produced by cavan.

Agree with that, I don't think he was made look good by any means. Especially in that Ulster Final where he won his individual battle very well and continually dispossessed his man or beat him to the ball and looked strong and tenacious. Leaving him on Donegal's dangerman in the Minor game this year was suicide by McCabe and was the main reason we lost the game. The Donegal Full forward was far taller, anybody could see that he was liable to get caught contesting a high ball.

Disappointing that he's not committed and if that is his attitude at that age then that Minor Ulster medal will be his last at county level. Each to their own I suppose.

Itchy

Quote from: Westside on October 12, 2012, 01:00:55 PM

Connor Smith was poor against Donegal, and I thought it was Clarke and Shankey who made Smith look beter than he was last year with the Minors in the full back line. He is playing with Killeshandra Juniors now.

Gerard Smith from Lavey should make it onto the team, classy player, probaly one of the better Minors against Donegal and was very good in the Minor Club final last week

I'm from the same Parish and the truth is that he declared half way through the season that he wasn't going to play football anymore. He played junior as it suited him to do so. However, I thought he was outstanding for the minors the year they won ulster and I think you are doing him a dis-service saying that he was carried by the others. Last year McCabe made a brainless decision leaving him at FB on a player much taller than him, that was obvious from the throw in. He is a small corner back with serious potential but his attitude is in question. If he doesn't man up and commit to football he'll just be another in a long line of wasters produced by cavan.

Agree with that, I don't think he was made look good by any means. Especially in that Ulster Final where he won his individual battle very well and continually dispossessed his man or beat him to the ball and looked strong and tenacious. Leaving him on Donegal's dangerman in the Minor game this year was suicide by McCabe and was the main reason we lost the game. The Donegal Full forward was far taller, anybody could see that he was liable to get caught contesting a high ball.

Disappointing that he's not committed and if that is his attitude at that age then that Minor Ulster medal will be his last at county level. Each to their own I suppose.

Well we can only hope he cops on a bit. The Killeshandra set-up on the line was very poor this year by all accounts so maybe that pissed him off a bit too.

Does anyone know how the semis line up or has that draw been made yet?

anglocelt39

Quote from: theticklemister on October 12, 2012, 11:48:58 AM
They took me to Cootehill in a cart in a cart, they took me to Cootehill in a cart

They took me to Cootehill and it's there I made me will................

One big unknown for Cavan under 21's next year is the change of management. Terry got the Under 21 lads totally excused from Senior panel duty, can't think of one other county where that approach was taken. Looking at the NFL fixture list I'm not so sure Terry will be that generous to Peter. 5 or 6 Under 21 lads involved in the senior panel could have a slight impact on cohesiveness, it's the small things that make the difference.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Westside

I would hope Terry will give the same level of respect to Peter as was given to him. There is potentially another big run in these lads either this year or next year, changing policy and involving them in the Senior Setup now could be the ruination of that.

There won't be the temptation to bring in the same amount of lads as in previous years and only Jack and Clarke would be called up to the Senior squad I would think (if McLoughlin is unavailable)

rodney trotter

Quote from: Westside on October 12, 2012, 01:00:55 PM

But Neil McGee was carreid by Donegal last year westside? Got an All Star and wil get one this year...

But Neil McGee was carried last year by Donegal last year Westside? And will more than likely get an All Star this year

rodney trotter

I was probaly a bit harsh on Smith. Still a young player, hopefully he cops on sooon enough.

Itchy

Are the times and dates out for these games.

Any craic

https://vimeo.com/57877217 - See a preview of the opening game in the 2012 Thomas Devlin Car Sales Ulster Under-21 Football Tournament at the Creggan club in Antrim. Now in its 4th year, the Tournament goes from strength to strength with Ballinderry Shamrocks taking on St Patrick's Donagh from Fermanagh in the Preliminary Round tie on Sunday January 27th at 2 O'Clock.

Westside

I see Turloch Mooney back playing for Redhills. Gives Cavan an option at midfield.. What date is the first round in Ulster? Dublin already looking shockingly strong.

nrico2006

Quote from: Westside on February 21, 2013, 03:08:29 PM
I see Turloch Mooney back playing for Redhills. Gives Cavan an option at midfield.. What date is the first round in Ulster? Dublin already looking shockingly strong.

Leinster wouldn't be very competitive so I think you can only judge Dublin when they play a team of a decent standard. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'