Donegal v Tyrone Ulster Championship

Started by give her dixie, October 04, 2012, 08:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sam03/05

Thought Donegal were by far the better team, although I wouldn't read too much into it all as in my opinion this is a very average Tyrone team (forget about League Football). I really could not understand why people have them as a top four team they are no where near it. Donegal will win Ulster at a canter, but there will be bigger tests ahead than today. Dublin/ Cork / Kerry and perhaps Mayo.
One thing that really frustrates me from today, is how the Donegal players were allowed to stand about five yards in front of a free, and refused to move back despite referee. If the free was beng taken out of the hands then it would be moved in, no reason why This should not have been the case today. Just a small gripe.

Overall Donegal were the better side, and are at least a six points better team, over what for me is an average Tyrone side.

babarino

Don't know if it has been discussed earlier, but the ref had a very good game, spotted the dives and was on the ball in most of the decisions.

Club Rossa

Well beaten today by a superior team.When a team beats you 3 consecutive times in the championship there can be no complaints.

LeoMc

Quote from: Kidder81 on May 26, 2013, 10:36:56 PM
Is it time for Micky Harte to step aside after this season and give someone else a go at it ?
Who?

Rois

Quote from: Nally Stand on May 26, 2013, 08:07:58 PM
As Tyrone fans began leaving early there were scores of donegal fans, including grown men, in the stand waving car keys, singing "chiompioneees", hurling fairly scummy abuse at them and giving them the fingers. Absolutely trampish behaviour.

I must have seen the same crowd as you Nally Stand - around section C?  I saw a man of I'd say at least 65/70 with his two hands in the air giving the fingers while shouting cheerio.  I couldn't get my camera out quick enough to take a pic.  I was a bit taken aback.   

Ref should have dealt with the guys who stood too close to Morgan.  he couldn't get enough height.  An obvious repeated tactic that the ref should have been firm on. 

Donegal still did more right than Tyrone and therefore deserved to win. 

tyroneman

Quote.  Didn't see the worth of Peter Harte in this game   

Team has been much better without him recently. Unfortunately he has never shown up in any meaningful games. Has talent undoubtedly but not in the hf line.

Jinxy

I'd say Mickey will have a good chat with Morgan after today.
He's young enough to learn the lesson.
Keep your head down and focus on your own game.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Wildweasel74

sounds like he brings a new meaning to grumpy old men, some guys never grow up in life!!

Kidder81

Quote from: Rois on May 26, 2013, 11:19:35 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on May 26, 2013, 08:07:58 PM
As Tyrone fans began leaving early there were scores of donegal fans, including grown men, in the stand waving car keys, singing "chiompioneees", hurling fairly scummy abuse at them and giving them the fingers. Absolutely trampish behaviour.

I must have seen the same crowd as you Nally Stand - around section C?  I saw a man of I'd say at least 65/70 with his two hands in the air giving the fingers while shouting cheerio.  I couldn't get my camera out quick enough to take a pic.  I was a bit taken aback.   

Ref should have dealt with the guys who stood too close to Morgan.  he couldn't get enough height.  An obvious repeated tactic that the ref should have been firm on. 

Donegal still did more right than Tyrone and therefore deserved to win.

Why did you take a photo of him ?

barelegs

Not too many complaints from a Tyrone perspective. Donegal took their chance when they were presented with them and Tyrone didn't. Not much went right for Tyrone but I still think we can have a good summer. Just a few general musings-

1. Tyrone were tactically out maneuvered today. At times it seemed that Mickey was taking a lesson from the Paul Grimley school of coaching. Tyrone's full back line was left badly exposed. The two goals were the best but not only examples of Quinn and McCarron and then Carlin and McCarron being left two on two. Last year Ricey came into the team having played very little football and did a great job just sitting in front of the full back line. That worked well until Tyrone ran out of steam. This year a fitter Tyrone team didn't use a sweeper and were ruthlessly exposed.

2. Mickey has clearly being picking his team over the last few rounds of the league with Donegal in mind. There was a big focus on height and strength in the midfield area with some of the pace that had been injected into the team earlier the league removed. I'd hope to see the likes of McNamee given more time in the qualifiers.

3. Peter Harte needs played in a role that suits him or not played at all. He was flitting in between the half forward and full forward lines today and to be honest he looked lost. He played his best football last year in the half back line attacking from deep and getting on the ball alot. It's a lot harder to do in the role he's currently playing.

4. We held our own in midfield but the movement of the ball from the defence and midfield to the attack was cruelly slow at times. When we did get the ball in early in the first half we invariably scored. Off the top of my head McAliskey and O'Neill both scored from play while Stevie was fouled for another free.

Oh and on a side note the Donegal physio and doctor were appalling today. At one stage they were squaring up to Tyrone players when there was no Donegal player even injured on the field. Somebody should really have given the pair of them and Gallagher a good slap make them consider coming on the next time

Rois

Quote from: Kidder81 on May 26, 2013, 11:28:36 PM
Why did you take a photo of him ?

If you read the post correctly you'll read that I didn't.

I wish I had as I would have shown it to my father to show him what to do if he ever wanted me to disown him. 

Main Street

Very admirable performance from Donegal. You have to envy a county team that whips Tyrone arses so comprehensively. It must be a nice feeling. 

Aristo 60

Quote from: Jinxy on May 26, 2013, 11:23:21 PM
I'd say Mickey will have a good chat with Morgan after today.
He's young enough to learn the lesson.
Keep your head down and focus on your own game.

I'd agreed. I thought when he put his two fingers in his ears after scoring his point he really showed the Donegal boo'ers they were in his head.

DoYerJob Linesman

Quote from: screenexile on May 26, 2013, 09:21:19 PM
On the game itself I thought Tyrone did well at midfield but their plan to tale the ball down the wings and shoot at crazy angles didn't work. Also the tactic of bringing Morgan up for stupid frees bit them badly on the ass. It was hugely demoralising for him and ultimately the team to miss so many frees. There was one he missed when the game was level (I think) where the whole team looked deflated and then Donegal brought on Lacey to a huge cheer which turned the screw for Donegal and they never looked back.

Tyrones defence also weren't up to it. Carlin and Gormley were destroyed for pace in the build up to Wherrity's goal and in todays game pace is so important as all the big teams have it and you must be able to deal with it.

PS. Colm Cavanagh is brutal!

It always humours me to read criticism of players by people who couldn't lace their boots.
17/03/02 - Semple Stadium Thurles - Heaven On Earth

crumli

What's the story with the "sports Bras" the Tyrone Men were wearing